Gaming This is what Nintendo needs to do to turn around the Wii U situation.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That being said, it was probably indeed 25% at the moment of his posting, but within those 25% lay some of the best games on the system anyways, so no harm done.
Persona 4 Golden looks absolutely gorges on big screen. Japanese version of Dangan Ronpa Vita is playable on Vita TV so English version should have no problem with Vita. If it wasn't for the fact that you can't log into NA PSN account atm I would have bought Vita TV long ago.

Some games such as Project Diva F will never be playable on Vita TV, cause it'll hurt sales of PS3 version (only thing PS3 version has exclusively is 3D replay).

Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and some games will be very hard to get it working on Vita TV, due to complex gameplay mechanism.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mother4/Earthbound 2 whatever will never happen. The only thing we can look forward to for that is the fan made mother 4. Hopefully Nintendo will see it. And start considering. I think a rerelease of Mother 1,2,3 translated and put on the eshop is something that bring alot of people to the wii u
There's my crappy opinion now goodnight.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some games such as Project Diva F will never be playable on Vita TV, cause it'll hurt sales of PS3 version (only thing PS3 version has exclusively is 3D replay).
I don't see why - the PSVita is a brand-new system, the PS3 will slowly enter the realm of obscurity. There's already an in-game item that nullifies the need for using the touchscreen, I can see it working perfectly fine on the PSVita TV.
Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and some games will be very hard to get it working on Vita TV, due to complex gameplay mechanism.
Name one that can't be replicated on a Dual Shock 3/4 except camera use. You have access to everything from the gyros (SIXAXIS) to the touchpad on the Dual Shock 4 which will soon be supported.

All this is besides the point though since this is a Wii U thread - let's get back on-topic and continue this in a thread relevant to the subject matter. :P

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know that creative criticism was forbidden. Besides, this is not the first time Nintendo completely botches a home console by disregarding industry standards and going solely by their own gut feeling - we've seen that happen numerous times before in grossly similar scenarios.
There's nothing forbidden about it, but doesn't make it any less comical for me. Just like I sit back and laugh at the folks who think they're better than the General Manager of their sports team, or the folks spouting about how the end is nigh.

Yes, let's make an open world Mario game that plays like Skyrim. Or a Mario game that plays like God Of War with blood gushing everywhere. Or maybe let's give it a 16 core processor; that's what it really needs to beef things up. And they should cut the price on it, nobody wants to buy a console for $300. Oh, and they should force third parties to make games on their console; can their team of assassins take pictures of these third parties' CEOs in compromising situations? Also, they should make more games; I'm certain they're just sitting on their hands over there not working on games. Oh, and can we get them to buy some failing/failed game companies? Also, they should release the keys to the console so the homebrew community can come in and save the console with their warez loaders.

D

Dork

Incoming wall of text.

If someone wants to play those games, they'd have to buy the pad.. wouldn't be the first time a game required an add-on. (Wii Fit, Wii Motion Plus, etc)
Some of those games could be actually patched to support Pro controller.
That's dumb, the Gamepad has already been established as the Wii U's primary controller, whereas the Balance Board and Motion Plus where accessories introduced later in the Wii's lifespan. How do you propose games like Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, ZombiU, and especially Nintendo Land work with just a Pro controller? Not to mention you lose some Miiverse functionality like drawing pictures. This would just gimp a lot of the Wii U's advertised features, which is not worth it if your looking for a price drop.

You mean like how Nintendo alienated people who liked motion controls?
Or how the alienated 3DS fans by releasing the 2DS?
What do they have to be alienated about? The gamepad will still be sold, except now it would be purchased for its intrinsic merits, and by those who actually want it.
The people who already have a WiiU.. You could always just give them 10 free virtual console titles.... or something.
They should be glad that Nintendo is taking bold measures so the product they care about doesn't fail, meaning it gets more support, meaning it becomes even better, meaning more devs might actually use the pad as well, which they might not have if the WiiU was still where it is now.

When did Nintendo alienate people who liked motion controls?
The 2DS really didn't alienate 3DS fans. The 3D is just a visual gimmick, whereas the gamepad's touchscreen and motion sensors have real impact on gameplay. The whole "they done it in the past, therefore it's okay to keep doing it" argument isn't a good thing here.
I don't know what your trying to say with that last sentence, gimping the Wii U for the soul purpose of making it cheaper will not just make third party devs flock to the Wii U.

The least N can do is make it so the pad no is longer scaring away devs.
Except this doesn't happen. The gamepad is just a traditional controller with a touchscreen, a new input method. It's probably the best next-gen controller. Just because Crystal Dynamics didn't want to port a last-gen game to the Wii U because they didn't know how to make good use of the pad doesn't mean that's the reason for third parties ignoring the Wii U. Developers are not forced to use the touchscreen at all, so that excuse was half-assed anyway.

And nobody says Nintendo would suddenly stop supporting the tablet. THEY certainly will and that is a given, the only question is whether third parties will.
It would definitely get less attention than it does now, did you see the Motion Plus and Balance Board being incorporated into every Wii game after its introduction? Third-parties do make use of the gamepad, so no problem there.

To solve the former problem you must first solve the latter problem. To solve the latter... simply sell more WiiU's. Drop the price. Reduce consumer confusion. Make the product more attractive. Resonate with your target audience. The tablet is counterproductive on each of those points.
You're right, but dropping the gamepad is not the way to do it, because nobody buys gimped versions of a console. Don't take my word for it, just look at those Vita TV sales. Since Gaikai isn't up yet, the Vita TV has no real purpose yet, but this bundle for the Wii U you're suggesting still has the primary purpose of playing Wii U games, and it wouldn't even be able to play some of its biggest titles. By creating a new bundle, you are creating more consumer confusion. This does not make the product more attractive nor are you resonating with the target audience because you just alienated them.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is an unbiased way to estimate 5 year sales of the Wii U in North America.
This method of predicting suggests between 6 and 13 million Wii Us sold over it's first 5 years (in N.A.)

If the Wii U plays out between the extremes here, then its five-year sales total in North America will be in the 12-13 million system range on the high end and in the 5.5-6.0 million system range on the low end.

Those figures are both terrible.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Matt...r_Wii_U_sales_suggest_grim_lifetime_sales.php
I'll predict the Wii U will not make the 8 million sales mark lifetime in North America.
The constant onslaught of media attention on the Wii U's shortcomings (the gamepad, the glitches, lack of 3rd party support) over the last year has made a Wii U revival almost impossible.

The Holiday 2013 sales figures will be interesting.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's dumb, the Gamepad has already been established as the Wii U's primary controller, whereas the Balance Board and Motion Plus where accessories introduced later in the Wii's lifespan. How do you propose games like Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, ZombiU, and especially Nintendo Land work with just a Pro controller? Not to mention you lose some Miiverse functionality like drawing pictures. This would just gimp a lot of the Wii U's advertised features, which is not worth it if your looking for a price drop.
Nintendo Land can be a pack-in game with the tablet controller. That would make buying the tablet more attractive. And it's easier to sell someone an add-on for 1 game than it is to sell someone an entire system for 1 game.

ZombiU I'm guessing could probably be patched to work with pro controller. At worst it will be a tablet-only game. You could bundle the game with the tablet also. Imagine a white tablet with Nintendo Land, or a black tablet with ZombiU. (just an example) So people would have a choice. Pretty cool huh.

Miiverse would serve as another selling point for the tablet.
Miiverse is an online feature so obviously the system accessing it has access to system updates. Just update Miiverse to work with pro controller only. People will see all the cool things people are doing with their tablet and will want to get one.

For that matter, the WiiU can still be offered with a tablet... but it would also be available without a tablet. example:
SKU 1 - $300 - Wii U with tablet and Nintendoland and Super Mario 3D World
SKU 2 - $250 - Wii U with pro controller and Super Mario 3D World

When did Nintendo alienate people who liked motion controls?
That's what I'm saying. WiiU drops motion controls in favor of the tablet. Did anyone complain? Guess nobody has... so why would anyone complain if Nintendo dropped the tablet? And they wouldn't really be dropping it, they'd just be making it optional. It would still be a major feature of the system. (the system was designed around it after all)

I don't know what your trying to say with that last sentence, gimping the Wii U for the soul purpose of making it cheaper will not just make third party devs flock to the Wii U.
I'm saying, why compromise everything just in the vain hope that devs will support the tablet?
People in this thread point out that Nintendo is not a charity.
Exactly! They are not a charity.
So why are they willing to destroy their brand just to get behind this gimmick the rest of the industry doesn't care about or are downright perplexed by.
I can almost hear Nintendo shouting "It's not just about the money! This tablet means everything to us! You just don't understand it... I'll show you... I'll show you all!!"
Oh please.

Except this doesn't happen. The gamepad is just a traditional controller with a touchscreen, a new input method. It's probably the best next-gen controller. Just because Crystal Dynamics didn't want to port a last-gen game to the Wii U because they didn't know how to make good use of the pad doesn't mean that's the reason for third parties ignoring the Wii U.
Yea blame the dev... it's their fault, they are stupid. But if they are thinking like this, then most likely some other devs are too.... Maybe not all devs, just some of them. The tablet is evidently making devs gun-shy... The question is merely to what extent this is hurting the WiiU. Even if a certain dev ends up making a game for WiiU, that doesn't mean the WiiU doesn't smell to them.

As I said earlier... a good product needs to have a clear stated premise... WiiU does not.
WiiU is "here's our new console... you figure it out"
Should Nintendo be surprised the WiiU did not set the world on fire?

You're right, but dropping the gamepad is not the way to do it, because nobody buys gimped versions of a console. Don't take my word for it, just look at those Vita TV sales.
It's not a gimped version by any means... You can still buy the tablet.
You might as well say a console is gimped for not coming with 2 controllers. (even though you can just buy another one separately)
A gimped version would be something like Xbox 360 arcade SKU, or the launch 499 PS3 which didn't have wifi and had only 20GB of space.
Even 2DS is arguably gimped since there is no way to add 3D to it later.
See also PSP Go (no UMD) and PSPE10k (no wifi) and Wii Mini. (no Wifi, no Gamecube support)

Since Gaikai isn't up yet, the Vita TV has no real purpose yet, but this bundle for the Wii U you're suggesting still has the primary purpose of playing Wii U games, and it wouldn't even be able to play some of its biggest titles.
Which biggest titles? Super Mario 3D World doesn't need tablet does it?

This does not make the product more attractive nor are you resonating with the target audience because you just alienated them.
Tablet is not attractive to anyone, even to those who like its features probably feel that it looks bulky and gimmicky, and it doesn't resonate with gamers because they don't know what it's for. Give them a no-nonsense aggressively priced SKU for Nintendo first party exclusives, pack in a beautiful pro controller and maybe some of your new customers will go on to buy the (no-longer-embarrassing) tablet controller for its intrinsic merits (or for the game that comes bundled with it) as opposed to being forced to buy it.

D

Dork

I think what your trying to say is that Nintendo should backtrack with the Gamepad because it isn't what third-parties want and you believe that the tablet isn't attractive to consumers and causes confusion with the Wii U's image. Third-parties are lazy and that makes sense, but Nintendo should never bend over to this shitty industry.

Prove to me that the table isn't attractive to consumers and is the source of the Wii U's bad image, because you don't speak for everyone.

Reactions: filfat

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's nothing forbidden about it, but doesn't make it any less comical for me. Just like I sit back and laugh at the folks who think they're better than the General Manager of their sports team, or the folks spouting about how the end is nigh.

Yes, let's make an open world Mario game that plays like Skyrim. Or a Mario game that plays like God Of War with blood gushing everywhere. Or maybe let's give it a 16 core processor; that's what it really needs to beef things up. And they should cut the price on it, nobody wants to buy a console for $300. Oh, and they should force third parties to make games on their console; can their team of assassins take pictures of these third parties' CEOs in compromising situations? Also, they should make more games; I'm certain they're just sitting on their hands over there not working on games. Oh, and can we get them to buy some failing/failed game companies? Also, they should release the keys to the console so the homebrew community can come in and save the console with their warez loaders.
How about not being sarcastic, seeing the situation for what it is and actually acknowledging the problem?
  • People do want an open world Mario - a Mario game along the lines of Mario 64, the likes of which we haven't seen since Mario Sunshine
  • The Wii U is severely underpowered in comparison to other nextgen systems - it was hailed to be Nintendo's triumphant return to the core audience, but it was designed with a complete disregard of contemporary industry standards due to Nintendo's isolationist policies when it comes to third-parties
  • The days when "making games for Nintendo" was a privilege are long gone, the tables have turned and now it's the software library that determines whether a console will be successful or not. Third-party games compose the bulk of most game libraries - lack of third-party support today equals certain doom on the market. This is why Nintendo has to create systems and ecosystems favoring all those developers out there, not just their own, narrow needs
  • It's not the fact that nobody wants to buy a $300 console - the XBox One and the PS4 show that people are willing to spend that much, but this money has to be spent on relevant hardware with promise for future support
  • They shouldn't "force" third-party developers to work for them - they should provide them with acceptable licensing agreements, hardware they can actually work on, as in, following industry standards and giving room to spread their creative wings
  • They're making games, that's not a valid complaint - there's only so much they can push out yearly, so anyone chanting that is indeed pretty silly. That being said, subsidiaries like Camelot could start working on their own franchises such as Golden Sun to get things rollin' - Nintendo has a number of studios that don't appear to be doing much at the moment
  • Failed companies failed for a reason - they should indeed invest in the talents and perhaps buy IP's, but not necessarily C.P.R studios that just don't have a broad appeal
  • Homebrew won't save the system, Homebrew users are in such a ridiculous minority that it's on the verge of being within the statistical error range
People want to be vocal about these problems not because they want to be d*cks but because we live in an information-based society. "B*tching" got Yosp off his seat and forced him to give the PS4 team a "row" for not including MP3 and DLNA Day 1 - now we're being promised to recieve those highly-demanded features in a software update. Why? Because we complained about their lack. The XBox One was announced as a DRM disaster, but Microsoft removed most of those announced "features". Why? Because people complained about them.

Criticism can be very beneficial and it's important for the fans to complain about things they don't like - constructive criticism breeds progress, and is it not beneficial for a company to adjust their products in such a way as to answer the calls of their customers? I think it is.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what your trying to say is that Nintendo should backtrack with the Gamepad because it isn't what third-parties want and you believe that the tablet isn't attractive to consumers and causes confusion with the Wii U's image. Third-parties are lazy and that makes sense, but Nintendo should never bend over to this shitty industry. Prove to me that the table isn't attractive to consumers and is the source of the Wii U's bad image, because you don't speak for everyone.

I'm not even in to tablets, but I'm looking forward to trying the Wii U's out; it'll be like a giant handheld I can play games on.
For that matter, the WiiU can still be offered with a tablet... but it would also be available without a tablet. example:
SKU 1 - $300 - Wii U with tablet and Nintendoland and Super Mario 3D World

SKU 2 - $250 - Wii U with pro controller and Super Mario 3D World

I think you're not quite with the "playing games on a tablet" mentality. I can just see people buying game controllers for surfing the web and calling people.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
*...as long as I am within 26 and 1/4 feet away from the console :ninja:

I'm not even in to tablets, but I'm looking forward to trying the Wii U's out; it'll be like a giant handheld I can play games on*.
Here's the problem - if you want to buy a home console, it should probably feel like a home console. If you want to buy a portable, you probably want to go out with it, which is something you can't do with the Wii U. Not saying that the system's crap, just saying that your reasons for liking it are a bit odd. :P

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the problem - if you want to buy a home console, it should probably feel like a home console. If you want to buy a portable, you probably want to go out with it, which is something you can't do with the Wii U. Not saying that the system's crap, just saying that your reasons for liking it are a bit odd. :P

I reckon I should be happy since I'm getting a tablet controller instead of a Remote/nunchuk combo (although they can be connected to the Wii U.) But I don't take game on the go; battery life just doesn't last that long. I'll gladly plunk down money for a portable that comes with a portable charger, though. Anyway, I like to think of this as a very large 3DS; touchscreen on the bottom and the game on the top. But you wouldn't be able to take the bottom half of the 3DS and game on it and leave the top half at home. ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I reckon I should be happy since I'm getting a tablet controller instead of a Remote/nunchuk combo (although they can be connected to the Wii U.) But I don't take game on the go; battery life just doesn't last that long. I'll gladly plunk down money for a portable that comes with a portable charger, though. Anyway, I like to think of this as a very large 3DS; touchscreen on the bottom and the game on the top. But you wouldn't be able to take the bottom half of the 3DS and game on it and leave the top half at home. ;)
Because the top and bottom halves of the 3DS are integral parts of one system - you naturally have to take the whole system with you. :rofl2: My point was that the tablet controller is still just a controller, no matter how you slice it. It's a "tablet" that you can't take with you because it only ever works when it's connected to the actual console, so treating it as a "portable" is a bit of a stretch. :P I get your point though, it "feels" like a portable when it's connected... but as Gahars points out, we already have a 3DS for those portable needs. ;)

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Nintendo needs to do is stop pretending to be so innovative, grow up, and start churning out games featuring protagonists modelled off of 80's/90's B-rate action flicks. Cussing is a must, Nintendo really needs to get with the program there, and it still really upset that they are not trying to pre-occupy my mind with sex any more than it already is. Shame on them!

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But for that to be true, the Wii U would need games.

Besides, we already have that. It's called the 3DS XL.

Yeah, but bigger is better, isn't it? But can you imagine if someone actually turned the Wii U into a portable? That thing would fit in Paul Bunyan's pocket.

What Nintendo needs to do is stop pretending to be so innovative, grow up, and start churning out games featuring protagonists modelled off of 80's/90's B-rate action flicks. Cussing is a must, Nintendo really needs to get with the program there, and it still really upset that they are not trying to pre-occupy my mind with sex any more than it already is. Shame on them!
Edit: How much pot have you smoked today?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There is a grain of truth in your sarcasm - Nintendo's audience just "grew up" as time went by... and their beloved company didn't. Their offering remains the same since they started and they can only do two things - attempt to appeal to their old audience by adjusting their old content or attempt to build a new audience among the new kids by adjusting to trends. Preferably they should do both.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a grain of truth in your sarcasm - Nintendo's audience just "grew up" as time went by... and their beloved company didn't. Their offering remains the same since they started and they can only do two things - attempt to appeal to their old audience by adjusting their old content or attempt to build a new audience among the new kids by adjusting to trends. Preferably they should do both.

That or we are witnessing the epoch of an Orwellian/Huxlian nightmare come true. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: murdering teal and purple in HOMM3