The best Battle mode Bomberman on Wii U, is it possible ?

Jilou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

A few years ago, I asked if it was possible to have Saturn Bomberman on Wii U, and the answers were : either I must to hope for an emulator (unlook Sega made a good one for the Nintendo Switch but not for the Wii U), or I must have a code source of this game... I found one write in Java, so I wonder if is it possible to make this game game for Wii U ? If yes, I'm very bad in informatic, also does someone want to create this game for Wii U ?

Thank you and have a nice day

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A few years ago, I asked if it was possible to have Saturn Bomberman on Wii U, and the answers were : either I must to hope for an emulator (unlook Sega made a good one for the Nintendo Switch but not for the Wii U), or I must have a code source of this game... I found one write in Java, so I wonder if is it possible to make this game game for Wii U ? If yes, I'm very bad in informatic, also does someone want to create this game for Wii U ?

Thank you and have a nice day
We still have no source code and we still have no WiiU Saturn emulator. So no go.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Saturn Bomberman is great (especially since its one of the few entries with up to 8 player multiplayer), but my favorite battle mode in any Bomberman game is actually the battle modes in Bomberman 64 The Second Attack. As I recall there were 5 different battle modes, all very fun, up to 4 players with custom costumes you could assemble, and each map used the 3D elements of the 64 to add real verticality to how you battled, and each course had different fun last-minute hurry-up effects. To me, that's the best Battled mode in a Bomberman game, and is already very playable on a hacked Wii U.

Jilou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just move on, it's not happening.
Why don't have new games on Wii U ? What about news games on Wii U ? Like Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy,... which have new games... I don't know if very recently we had a new game for Wii U... I have GTA in others consoles and thanks @GaryOderNichts we have these on Wii U, it's so wonderful, no ? Or many works MultiDRCDemo

We still have no source code and we still have no WiiU Saturn emulator. So no go.
Here is where we have a great work with a code : https://github.com/vegeto079/Saturn-Bomberman

I know Saturn Bomberman is great (especially since its one of the few entries with up to 8 player multiplayer), but my favorite battle mode in any Bomberman game is actually the battle modes in Bomberman 64 The Second Attack. As I recall there were 5 different battle modes, all very fun, up to 4 players with custom costumes you could assemble, and each map used the 3D elements of the 64 to add real verticality to how you battled, and each course had different fun last-minute hurry-up effects. To me, that's the best Battled mode in a Bomberman game, and is already very playable on a hacked Wii U.
. Saturn Bomberman is even up to 10 player multiplayer when it is in wide battle stage. We have series mode where we can preselect differents stages for the competition and we are congratulate at the end as the first winner, the second winner, the first killer, and the first fantom killer ^^.
. I agree with you : Bomberman 64 the second attack is very great, I played it on Nintendo 64 and it is a very fun game, I loved to control an other player when I dead ^^. I have just tested this game on my Wii U but, after the introduction of this game, the screen is black... I know where select to have battle game and I can play but I have even graphics problems... Do you have the same ?
. It would be extraordinary to have all serie Bomberman like native Wii U games ^^.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think so... Here is what we have with this code :

Again that is not the source code of the Saturn version of Bomberman. IT'S A RECREATION of the game it is not using any code that was in the official game.

It even tells you it's a recreation of the game in the title of the very video you have linked to.

Jilou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Again that is not the source code of the Saturn version of Bomberman. IT'S A RECREATION of the game it is not using any code that was in the official game.

It even tells you it's a recreation of the game in the title of the very video you have linked to.
Okay, but it looks like the original game ^^. And it would be a very good new game on Wii U, right ? ^^.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
We don't have a Java runtime on Wii U currently, so unfortunately porting Java apps is somewhat unrealistic. If you're unfamiliar, Java apps run inside a virtual machine, which is why they're so portable: they'll run on anything with a Java Runtime Environment or equivalent. Since we don't have that on Wii U, porting a Java app would mean either porting an entire Java VM to Wii U, or translating the entire app to native C/C++, either of which would be technically complex and labor-intensive.

Failing either of those, it might be possible to run Java apps under Linux on Wii U. I haven't looked into it at all, but running Java apps under PPC Linux has been a thing for 10+ years thanks to OpenJDK. This is certainly the most realistic path to running Java stuff on Wii U currently, but again I have no idea whether it would work currently or whether the performance would justify the attempt.

Otherwise, in terms of open source stuff that can be ported to Wii U, it pretty much boils down to C or C++ projects.

Obviously none of these satisfy the goal of playing Saturn Bomberman specifically, but there are other options for playing Bomberman or Bomberman-like games on Wii U. In descending order of number of players supported:
  • Mega Drive: Mega Bomberman: Special 8 Player Demo - a leaked prototype of an 8-player Mega Drive/Genesis Bomberman game
  • RetroArch: Mr. Boom - a free, 8-player Bomberman clone included in RetroArch
  • PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 - several Bomberman games with 5-player support
  • Wii U eShop: Bombing Bastards - a Bomberman clone supporting up to 5 players
  • WiiWare: Bomberman Blast - originally an 8-player game, but required four GameCube controllers, so only 4-player is possible on Wii U; the GameCube adapter will not work

Jilou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
We don't have a Java runtime on Wii U currently, so unfortunately porting Java apps is somewhat unrealistic. If you're unfamiliar, Java apps run inside a virtual machine, which is why they're so portable: they'll run on anything with a Java Runtime Environment or equivalent. Since we don't have that on Wii U, porting a Java app would mean either porting an entire Java VM to Wii U, or translating the entire app to native C/C++, either of which would be technically complex and labor-intensive.

Failing either of those, it might be possible to run Java apps under Linux on Wii U. I haven't looked into it at all, but running Java apps under PPC Linux has been a thing for 10+ years thanks to OpenJDK. This is certainly the most realistic path to running Java stuff on Wii U currently, but again I have no idea whether it would work currently or whether the performance would justify the attempt.

Otherwise, in terms of open source stuff that can be ported to Wii U, it pretty much boils down to C or C++ projects.

Obviously none of these satisfy the goal of playing Saturn Bomberman specifically, but there are other options for playing Bomberman or Bomberman-like games on Wii U. In descending order of number of players supported:
  • Mega Drive: Mega Bomberman: Special 8 Player Demo - a leaked prototype of an 8-player Mega Drive/Genesis Bomberman game
  • RetroArch: Mr. Boom - a free, 8-player Bomberman clone included in RetroArch
  • PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 - several Bomberman games with 5-player support
  • Wii U eShop: Bombing Bastards - a Bomberman clone supporting up to 5 players
  • WiiWare: Bomberman Blast - originally an 8-player game, but required four GameCube controllers, so only 4-player is possible on Wii U; the GameCube adapter will not work
Thank you very much for your answer, I understood better ! ^^.
I have tried to find a C++ code of Saturn bomberman but I found nothing for the moment...

I tried those games you said :
. In Mega Bomberman Special 8 player Demo when all other players died the game stage doesn't stop... Because it's just a demo ?
. Retroarch Mr Boom is a very good work but we don't have options like which stage we want, how many wins we want,... And no statistics like who I killed and who killed me.... Maybe one day someone will continue this work to make a Mr Boom 2 with more options ^^, it will be very great ^^.
. Yes, I usually play these games on SNES and TurboGrafx-16 emulotors on Wii U and original consoles ^^.
. I bought this game on the Nintendo E-Shop many years ago but it's not my favorite game :&
. Yes I usually play it online with friends but it's so sad there is nobody else online and no option to put IA bomberman too...

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bomberman Generation on the GC is the best B'Man in my opinion and it already works on the WiiU..... Just use that :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto