Hacking This is so strange

Destati

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to open up my DS to fix the shoulder pads. Long story short, I broke the power switch and its now fixed.

So I started playing a game and noticed my volume slider wasn't working. Its not that there was no volume, its that there WAS volume- even if I lowered the switch to mute.

I thought I put it on wrong. I did it right. I removed the white slider cap and started the DS. I left it on max when I turned it on and slowly lowered it to off. Still, the volume was at max- and I had proof that the slider was working fine.

There's no broken pieces. Its like its permanently on max volume. Can anyone lend a tip as to why and how I can fix this? I am 100& positive the switch is NOT broken. (when I mean switch I am referring to the actual digital soldered component)

EDIT: I also just checked all wires- on both faces. Nothing. Nothing is damaged or disconnected.

Destati

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure this is the same forum as the NDSL disassembly/reassembly guide, so it belongs here.

The volume stuff is apparent on the DS's main screen- No games involved.

But your moonshell idea... I don't know. How does Moonshell work?

Destati

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna bump this from beyond the grave.

So yeah, months have gone by and no change. I'm thinking about buying a Volume Potentiometer and doing the same thing I did with the power switch. Even though I didn't detach the stick from the base, maybe I forced it to dislodge. Honestly, what I'm hearing might not actually be max volume. I think max volume is typically louder.

Unfortunately I have no way to test it. Its either the motherboard or the slider. I tried detaching/reattaching the ribbon to the top panel and besides giving me a fright, nothing changed.

Any opinions?

firesavvy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it's the slider. contact is either stuck or broke on the inside, giving you volume, but no ability to adjust. a small amount of debris might become unstuck with some carefully applied air. a broken contact will require replacement. soldering also required.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
This happened to a friend's DS Lite after it was water damaged, that he couldn't turn the volume off. His solution was to chop off the end from an old pair of headphones and plug that in when he wanted to play in bed alongside his sleeping other half.

Destati

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
necroing an old thread of mine.

I finally got around to soldering a new volume slider. Everything went well.

I turned it on and.... No difference. Still no control over the volume. Whyyyyyy

Destati

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can hardly even play my DS anymore... Always on the loudest volume. Bump... This all happened when I busted the power switch. Should I try removing it and re-soldering it back on?

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not the sort of person to recommend someone to open their DS or solder/unsolder most times.
What I can recommend isn't an ideal solution by any means, but have you tried a set of headphones with an inline volume control, to at least make it so you can play again?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I may take a shower to remove all the sunburns in my body