This is so strange

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Destati, Nov 20, 2010.

Nov 20, 2010

This is so strange by Destati at 2:41 AM (1,325 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Destati
    OP

Newcomer Destati Member

United States
    I had to open up my DS to fix the shoulder pads. Long story short, I broke the power switch and its now fixed.

So I started playing a game and noticed my volume slider wasn't working. Its not that there was no volume, its that there WAS volume- even if I lowered the switch to mute.

I thought I put it on wrong. I did it right. I removed the white slider cap and started the DS. I left it on max when I turned it on and slowly lowered it to off. Still, the volume was at max- and I had proof that the slider was working fine.

There's no broken pieces. Its like its permanently on max volume. Can anyone lend a tip as to why and how I can fix this? I am 100& positive the switch is NOT broken. (when I mean switch I am referring to the actual digital soldered component)

EDIT: I also just checked all wires- on both faces. Nothing. Nothing is damaged or disconnected.

2. Destati
    OP

Newcomer Destati Member

United States
    No one knows? : /

3. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    I don't know but isn't this in the wrong section?
    Actually changing the volume ingame or in moonshell might work?

4. Destati
    OP

Newcomer Destati Member

United States
    I figure this is the same forum as the NDSL disassembly/reassembly guide, so it belongs here.

The volume stuff is apparent on the DS's main screen- No games involved.

But your moonshell idea... I don't know. How does Moonshell work?

5. Destati
    OP

Newcomer Destati Member

United States
    I'm gonna bump this from beyond the grave.

So yeah, months have gone by and no change. I'm thinking about buying a Volume Potentiometer and doing the same thing I did with the power switch. Even though I didn't detach the stick from the base, maybe I forced it to dislodge. Honestly, what I'm hearing might not actually be max volume. I think max volume is typically louder.

Unfortunately I have no way to test it. Its either the motherboard or the slider. I tried detaching/reattaching the ribbon to the top panel and besides giving me a fright, nothing changed.

Any opinions?

6. firesavvy

Newcomer firesavvy Member

Canada
    it's the slider. contact is either stuck or broke on the inside, giving you volume, but no ability to adjust. a small amount of debris might become unstuck with some carefully applied air. a broken contact will require replacement. soldering also required.

7. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    This happened to a friend's DS Lite after it was water damaged, that he couldn't turn the volume off. His solution was to chop off the end from an old pair of headphones and plug that in when he wanted to play in bed alongside his sleeping other half.

8. Destati
    OP

Newcomer Destati Member

United States
    necroing an old thread of mine.

I finally got around to soldering a new volume slider. Everything went well.

I turned it on and.... No difference. Still no control over the volume. Whyyyyyy

9. Destati
    OP

Newcomer Destati Member

United States
    I can hardly even play my DS anymore... Always on the loudest volume. Bump... This all happened when I busted the power switch. Should I try removing it and re-soldering it back on?

10. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    I'm not the sort of person to recommend someone to open their DS or solder/unsolder most times.
    What I can recommend isn't an ideal solution by any means, but have you tried a set of headphones with an inline volume control, to at least make it so you can play again?