Third Parties Have Final Wii U Development Kits

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, At release? I don't know, Ninty likes blue :P And yeah, I now remember that they sold the controllers after the ps3...
That was not my point. My point was that Nintendo likes their products to gravitate around a certain gimmick - that's how they create lines of products. With the Wii, the WiiMote was more important then the hardware or the games library - what mattered was the WiiMote.

With the DS, it's dual screens, one of which is a touch screen. It didn't matter if the console will be capable of keeping up with the times - they just advertised the touchscreen to the point of making people sick - everybody and their dog knows that the DS has a touchscreen.

But outside of the gimmicks, what do we get? This sort of an agressive campaign overshadows the weak points of those systems, and they're numerous. The ever-so-famous "but innovation!" stand-point.

When your hardware is lackluster to the point that you "can't do much" with this whole "innovation" you're given then we have a little problem. This is why I'm excited for the WiiU - it's been a while since Nintendo released a console that was up-to-par with its competitors. I sincerely hope for third-party games - you can only bear this much of the plumber and his princess.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the console is being released at the end of the year and they're just now handing out these development kits, than the 3rd party developers have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to get some games out in time for the launch.
Well, wouldn't they at least have old dev kits? I didn't imagine them having to start over just 'cause they got the final dev kits.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
If the console is being released at the end of the year and they're just now handing out these development kits, than the 3rd party developers have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to get some games out in time for the launch.
The dev kits have been out for ages. These are the final dev kits. Basically it's an update to what they had before.

Nintendo probably fixed hardware problems and up'd the specs a bit. Rumours were that the original dev kits were underclocked or some such.

Reactions: 1 person

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I doubt thats the final design,and we will see a slightly differnt look at this years E3.
I said that about the 3DS...
yeah, well then you were right. The design was SLIGHTLY differnt from what they showed at E3 2010 and what ultimately got released (i.e. circle pad color changed).

Yeah, a small difference, but still a difference.
...I don't know, Ninty likes blue :P...
What about purple?

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly I have to say I miss the older designs of systems... systems these days seem to me to just be designed to be out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. I miss things like the N64, now that was a good looking system. It had prominence. And came in like 534694 colours.

So yeah can't say I'm impressed with the old design, new one probably won't be too amazing. At least it looks promising in terms of games.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And came in like 534694 colours.

This, I wish consoles would stop coming in either black or white. HAVE SOME VARIETY!
Multicolors mean that some colors will be unsold, and some will be produced more than the others, while those remain on the shelves.

That will mean losses. That's why nobody does it anymore, except for Limited Editions. Which are "Limited" so people will go nuts on them and they'll certainly sell.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

This, I wish consoles would stop coming in either black or white. HAVE SOME VARIETY!
Multicolors mean that some color will be unsold, and some will be produced more than the others.

That will mean losses. That's why nobody does it anymore, except for Limited Editions.

Which are "Limited" so people will go nuts on them and they'll certainly sell.
Indeed.

The way I see it - consoles are not clothes. I can understand a variety of colours available for portables - you walk around with them, you want to express your individualism, you buy the console of your favourite colour. Home consoles? You slap those things next to the TV, never to move them again. They're like a DVD player or a VCR (Remember VCRs? lol, I'm old...).

Not only that - producing a home console involves more costs then making a portable (unless you're Sony - they go all-out with their hardware). A company can't afford to have hardware just "laying there" - it has to sell.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing wrong with the look of the WiiU... there's just nothing right about it.

It's just so plain and boring. I would be surprised if they kept it that way. When it was announced they barely showed the console itself.

I think it looks like a Wii... but worse. Also the visible sync button looks terrible in my opinion.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Multicolors mean that some colors will be unsold, and some will be produced more than the others, while those remain on the shelves.

That will mean losses. That's why nobody does it anymore, except for Limited Editions. Which are "Limited" so people will go nuts on them and they'll certainly sell.
Fair point. And it's not like I can't just paint the thing/make a custom shell for it.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll add in people around the net who have somewhat source of their own are saying the final dev kits differs quite a bit from earlier kits. Supposedly more powerful than anticipated, as well.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country

Multicolors mean that some color will be unsold, and some will be produced more than the others.

That will mean losses. That's why nobody does it anymore, except for Limited Editions.

Which are "Limited" so people will go nuts on them and they'll certainly sell.
Indeed.

The way I see it - consoles are not clothes. I can understand a variety of colours available for portables - you walk around with them, you want to express your individualism, you buy the console of your favourite colour. Home consoles? You slap those things next to the TV, never to move them again. They're like a DVD player or a VCR (Remember VCRs? lol, I'm old...).

Not only that - producing a home console involves more costs then making a portable (unless you're Sony - they go all-out with their hardware). A company can't afford to have hardware just "laying there" - it has to sell.

Not even portables have a variety of colours. When I go to wal-mart, best buy etc. you can only buy either a Piano Black PSP or a Sliver one. That may to do with the PSP not selling well in North America though. Moreover, you make a good point about consoles. I guess they'll always be Limited editions.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not even portables have a variety of colours. When I go to wal-mart, best buy etc. you can only buy either a Piano Black PSP or a Sliver one. That may to do with the PSP not selling well in North America though. Moreover, you make a good point about consoles. I guess they'll always be Limited editions.
...interesting.

Where I live, it's actually quite easy to get any colour of the DSi you want, and if it's not available in-store then you can order one. As far as the PSP is concerned, I've seen black, silver, white, pink and some limited bundles with different colours. Mostly if you want a colour different then those three then you just order online.

The case is similar in the UK, but there at least I've seen some misc. colours in pawn stores etc.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wii U is so damn outdated. Dipshit Nintendo creating a system to compete with the fucking 360 and PS3 as if they won't release massively more powerful systems within a few years.

There is no way in hell that's the final Wii U console design. I would obviously hope the specs are a blatant lie, covering up for a system that will actually compete with the next generation. But I'm obviously not going to hold my breath for that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wii U is so damn outdated. Dipshit Nintendo creating a system to compete with the fucking 360 and PS3 as if they won't release massively more powerful systems within a few years.

There is no way in hell that's the final Wii U console design. I would obviously hope the specs are a blatant lie, covering up for a system that will actually compete with the next generation. But I'm obviously not going to hold my breath for that.
It's aprox. one and a half PS3 in a box when it comes to processing power, how is that underpowered? For once in many years Nintendo does something "right" and people still complain. Yeah, the WiiU in its current form should've been released much, much earlier. Sure, it seems like it's competing with the 360 and the PS3, but what is it supposed to compete with? The non-existant PS4 and NextBox?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill