taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use Verbatim DVD-R

Works great and I've never gotten DREs from them. My only issues is that the 100 disc spindle I got has some bad blanks which can;t be recognized on my PC.

I'd say that 65% of the spindle has working blanks.

Not bad considering I paid 20 bucks.

I also use Imgburn software with a burn spped of 2x.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use Verbatim DVD-R

Works great and I've never gotten DREs from them. My only issues is that the 100 disc spindle I got has some bad blanks which can;t be recognized on my PC.

Could be both ways --> bad disc (/ not that good disc) together with older / not that great burner. Could also just be coasters (I've used arita in the past, man that was fun
tongue.gif
)
smile.gif

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lol, not to mention how you would get the games onto dvds
tongue.gif

Yea, true
tongue.gif

Can I use Nero to burn the games, though. I only have a old version of it..and don't know if my PC came with burning software :\

I use Verbatim DVD-R

Works great and I've never gotten DREs from them. My only issues is that the 100 disc spindle I got has some bad blanks which can;t be recognized on my PC.

There has to be a specific burning speed, or else it won't work?
huh.gif

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well i use these Fujifilm 16x DVD's which is made by Ritech.
Works nice burned at 4x

And about the warrenty.
Many has succesfull gotten thier Wii through the system with a Wii which HAS been modded and been repaired without any trouplle.
Just remember to remove all the solder and make it look more like new.

And remember DONT burn the board! I did melt a little bit by mistake.

haruk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMGBurn works best for burning games it seems, and it's really easy to use. It's free to download anyways =P. Some people have experienced problems burning with Nero too.
As for the burning speed, it doesn't really matter if you use quality media, but if you use cheaper media, it's best to use a lower burn speed. I use 4x on all my burns just in case, but I know a lot of people also use 16x and don't have any problems.

Also for downloading, if you have a slowish connection, it might be worth looking into newsgroups, they're a lot faster than torrents, takes me about 15-30 minutes to download a wii game from them. You may have to spend some money if your ISP doesn't provide you with a good server for it and have to buy an account for one, like giganews, but it's worth it imo, you pay less than 1 wii game, and can download all of them you want, depending on your plan xD

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pesonally, I enjoy using nero. Never had a problem with it. When i modded my first gen xbox its never failed me. But for wii games i'm sticking with dvd decrypter. Seems like the best tool to burn wii isos and best of all its free. I've always burned my dvds at max speed because sometimes i would have problems burning them at low speeds. But that works out well for me
laugh.gif

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lol, not to mention how you would get the games onto dvds
tongue.gif

Yea, true
tongue.gif

Can I use Nero to burn the games, though. I only have a old version of it..and don't know if my PC came with burning software :\

I use Verbatim DVD-R

There has to be a specific burning speed, or else it won't work?
huh.gif

Slower burn speeds tend to ensure a better copy. General rule of thumb is too use 2x or 4x when making a backup. Any higher and you tend to increase your chances of DRE (Dis Read Errors). I use 2x and I have never received a DRE since. 4x is faster, but I think the extra 5-10min wait for 2x is worth it.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ok. Thanks guys..I'm good now
biggrin.gif

Also for downloading, if you have a slowish connection, it might be worth looking into newsgroups, they're a lot faster than torrents, takes me about 15-30 minutes to download a wii game from them. You may have to spend some money if your ISP doesn't provide you with a good server for it and have to buy an account for one, like giganews, but it's worth it imo, you pay less than 1 wii game, and can download all of them you want, depending on your plan xD

Do I really NEED a newsgroup though, like..can't I just get the iso's [have no idea what those are xD] from websites? Note: I am NOT asking for links..just wondering.

haruk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah you don't need it. Although you probably won't be able just download any ISO's(which are pretty much like the roms used for the DS flashcarts) from websites as far as I know, but there are other options. I used to use torrents before I got a giganews account, it was quite slow for some of the older games, but it wasn't too bad, just left it on overnight and hoped it would be done by the time I get back to the computer.
But, you said you had verizon though, right? according to this site: http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm
You have a free usenet server, dunno how good it is, but might be worth looking into

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nah you don't need it. Although you probably won't be able just download any ISO's(which are pretty much like the roms used for the DS flashcarts) from websites as far as I know, but there are other options. I used to use torrents before I got a giganews account, it was quite slow for some of the older games, but it wasn't too bad, just left it on overnight and hoped it would be done by the time I get back to the computer.
But, you said you had verizon though, right? according to this site: http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm
You have a free usenet server, dunno how good it is, but might be worth looking into

I do? What's a Usenet though? I've heard really little about it, and never really looked into it.

Is it like an account that Verizon bought all its customers to share/download stuff? :\

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, almost convinced me dad to let me get it! He's really worried though that we might screw up and ruin my Wii..so I have a quick question, please.

While installing Cyclowiz...is it possible/easy to brick your Wii at all? Like, is it simple to follow directions and do everything right, for a beginner?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usenet is kinda similar to message boards. People can post messages or read them. There also binary newsgroups that allow you to download, pictures, sounds, movies, or other files. The big difference between torrents and usenet is that usenet you can just download the file and not worry about seeding it back (sharing/uploading). You should probably have a professional install the modchip for you. It very possible to mess up your wii. I made a minor mistake, wii still worked, but could not be modded again. I had to send for repairs. The problem with having someone install it for you is you will have to send your wii, which made me feel uneasy but i did it anyways

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
usenet is kinda similar to message boards. People can post messages or read them. There also binary newsgroups that allow you to download, pictures, sounds, movies, or other files. You should probably have a professional install the modchip for you. It very possible to mess up your wii. I made a minor mistake, wii still worked, but could not be modded again. I had to send for repairs. The problem with having someone install it for you is you will have to send your wii, which made me feel uneasy but i did it anyways

Ah, okie. I kinda get usenet now..plus I think there's a guide on this website for it..can't wait until the search engine comes back >_>"

That sucks though :'[
How hard is it really? To what I understand, all you do is open up your Wii [which LOOKS to be a simple task], then find the correct spot, and solder 5 wires....and your done, right?

Separate question: When disassembling your Wii, do you have to take out that mini battery? I saw a video of someone taking it out..not sure why he did it though. Don't you need that to keep like your saves intact?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you gotta open the case to your wii, remove the metal covers below and and actually disconnect your dvd drive from the wii. Yes, than you just solder 5 wires for many drive modchips. You need a very steady hand and a solder iron with a very thin point. You can try if you want, but like I said, I messed up mine, you may have better luck. Also how old is your wii? If its pretty new, you may have to use d2ckey, which does not use the 5 wire mod, it uses like 30. Im not sure on exact #, I use a wiinja. Hopefully you have an old wii

that battery you saw is just so your wii can keep track of time when its off. Just like how computers do it. If you remove the battery, your wii will most likely lose track of time. You will have to reset it

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well you cant really brick/break your Wii.
If you screw up the install which is very hard to do. Then you can buy a new drive from ebay or one from one site which sells allready modded D2C drives with D2CKey attached
wink.gif

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you screw up the install which is very hard to do. Then you can buy a new drive from ebay or one from one site which sells allready modded D2C drives with D2CKey attached
wink.gif

Oh..okay then
biggrin.gif

I guess I'll search up videos online too for assembling it. How do you keep track of all the screws though, or how to put it back together
wacko.gif

you gotta open the case to your wii, remove the metal covers below and and actually disconnect your dvd drive from the wii.  Yes, than you just solder 5 wires for many drive modchips.  You need a very steady hand and a solder iron with a very thin point.  You can try if you want, but like I said, I messed up mine, you may have better luck.  Also how old is your wii?  If its pretty new, you may have to use d2ckey, which does not use the 5 wire mod, it uses like 30.  Im not sure on exact #, I use a wiinja.  Hopefully you have an old wii

that battery you saw is just so your wii can keep track of time when its off.  Just like how computers do it.  If you remove the battery, your wii will most likely lose track of time.  You will have to reset it

Yea, I have a old Wii..so I'm looking for a Cyclowiz V2. The beginning part doesn't sound too hard though...what did you mess up on? :\

And for the battery...do I NEED to remove it during the process? I've seen like 2 videos so far, and both of them do it.

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wink.gif

Oh..okay then
biggrin.gif

I guess I'll search up videos online too for assembling it. How do you keep track of all the screws though, or how to put it back together
wacko.gif

you gotta open the case to your wii, remove the metal covers below and and actually disconnect your dvd drive from the wii. Yes, than you just solder 5 wires for many drive modchips. You need a very steady hand and a solder iron with a very thin point. You can try if you want, but like I said, I messed up mine, you may have better luck. Also how old is your wii? If its pretty new, you may have to use d2ckey, which does not use the 5 wire mod, it uses like 30. Im not sure on exact #, I use a wiinja. Hopefully you have an old wii

that battery you saw is just so your wii can keep track of time when its off. Just like how computers do it. If you remove the battery, your wii will most likely lose track of time. You will have to reset it

Yea, I have a old Wii..so I'm looking for a Cyclowiz V2. The beginning part doesn't sound too hard though...what did you mess up on? :\

And for the battery...do I NEED to remove it during the process? I've seen like 2 videos so far, and both of them do it.

No you don't need to remove the battery but ti doesn't hurt too.

Watch 3-4 "how to mod" videos on youtube and you should be set to go. Remember to have a toggle switch ready in case you want to enable the updating feature.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll give you a present by tying up ancientboi for you