Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okie. Thank yee
smile.gif

I don't understand your last sentence though...
....at all:

Remember to have a toggle switch ready in case you want to enable the updating feature.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Grr...how come EVERY online retailer is sold out of Cyclowiz's, but they have all the other modchip in stock? :'[
That makes me sad..are they hard to come by or something?

It's my bday this Sunday..so I thought I could ask for a Cyclowiz V2 this year :\
Guess not.

haruk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I read somewhere that they stopped producing Cyclowiz's, which explains why you're having a hard time finding them. Although I'm not positive about this, I'm pretty sure I saw some posts it, you might wanna email a reseller and see if they have any info on that. If you can't find one, yaosm is supposed to be great too, and the chips are really cheap, just gotta flash them. I don't have any first hand experience though, since I'm using a d2ckey

also, happy early birthday xD

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy Early Birthday
toot.gif

Basically the reason your not gonna find any cyclowiz's is that they stopped shipping them last year. I you had been around a couple weeks ago you would have been in luck because there was only one store in stock. So basically, I can't confirm they stopped production but I know they stopped shipping to retailers. You might wanna go with another chip... Who knows how long it might take if they ever ship any more..

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Haha, thanks guys
grog.gif

But that really....REALLY sucks. I had my heart set on a Cyclowiz :'[
It was easy to install, and seemed like the best chip. Plus had a great support team.

I don't really wanna flash anything [so i guess no yaosm, plus never heard of it], just want a simple chip that I can install and play games. I'd LIKE to get a Wiikey, but it seems that their support team is always 'late' to the party...and they also give duplicate channels with Brawl, supposedly.

I dunno, I heard of many problems with the Wiikey on this forum..so that's why I'm weary. If there's a better chip, or any recommendations/corrections you'd like to share..please do
biggrin.gif

haruk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiikey works fine on brawl it seems, and you always get duplicate channels, no matter what the chip is if you fully update to 100% on the japanese brawl(and many other games that aren't your region, you can get triple channels iirc if you update with pal too), you can unplug your wii @ 15% on the update and it won't give duplicate channels, that's what I did and it works fine, and many others are reporting it works fine too, and no bricks as far as I know because of it.

I think most people are complaining about the wiikey team right now because their site is down, and a lot of people are assuming that they stopped supporting it, but they confirmed that they'll release updates when needed via wiinewz and such. Supposedly people keep on hacking their site, and with the modchip laws in hong kong they had to take it down

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wiikey works fine on brawl it seems, and you always get duplicate channels, no matter what the chip is if you fully update to 100% on the japanese brawl(and many other games that aren't your region, you can get triple channels iirc if you update with pal too), you can unplug your wii @ 15% on the update and it won't give duplicate channels, that's what I did and it works fine, and many others are reporting it works fine too, and no bricks as far as I know because of it.

I think most people are complaining about the wiikey team right now because their site is down, and a lot of people are assuming that they stopped supporting it, but they confirmed that they'll release updates when needed via wiinewz and such. Supposedly people keep on hacking their site, and with the modchip laws in hong kong they had to take it down

Wait...really? All the chips give you duplicate channels? AND I can do the 15% trick without a brick?
Hmm...what's the difference between Wiikey and Cyclowiz chips then? Does one have better compatibility/updates than the other? Wait..can the Wiikey be update with DVD like the Cyclowiz?
I also heard that Cyclowiz has a stealth mode, so wouldn't it be easier to be bricked/caught with a Wiikey? Also the Cyclowiz you can turn it off at will, but is that REALLY an important feature? Seeing as how you can play authentic games with the modchip on, isn't it like a useless feature?

Oh..I thought that they were angry because it wasn't that good. I mean, I heard bad things about the SMG scandal..
I *thought* some people got their Wii's bricked/semibricked because of that.

Meh, I really wanted a Cyclowiz, but if the Wiikey turns out to be an okay/similar modchip, guess I'll just go with that instead. Plus, they're cheaper! So I guess that's a plus.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Wiikey can also be updated via DVD.
So far, the Wii has not been able to detect modchips, so no the Wiikey wouldn't be detected. I think that feature that you can turn the modchip off is just in case the Wii will someday detect modchips..which it probably won't
tongue.gif

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The wiikey is an easier mod with upgradeable dvd support not requiring any additional wires. Compared to the cyclowiz, the only thing the wiikey lacks are status LEDS (which are pointless if your wii case is closed) and a on/off toggle switch for the mod chip.

However you can easily create your own on/off toggle switch by connecting one in series with the wiikey on it's power line.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Wiikey can also be updated via DVD.
So far, the Wii has not been able to detect modchips, so no the Wiikey wouldn't be detected. I think that feature that you can turn the modchip off is just in case the Wii will someday detect modchips..which it probably won't
tongue.gif

Via DVD also? Hooray!
And I see...hope it stays that way, which it probably will. So I guess Wiikey isn't bad.

The wiikey is an easier mod with upgradeable dvd support not requiring any additional wires. Compared to the cyclowiz, the only thing the wiikey lacks are status LEDS (which are pointless if your wii case is closed) and a on/off toggle switch for the mod chip.

However you can easily create your own on/off toggle switch by connecting one in series with the wiikey on it's power line.

Man..Wiikey is really starting to sound better. I always thought it was one of the worst chips, but seems prett-ay good. I don't care much for the LEDs, but is it REALLY important to have an on/off switch? Will it be useful?

Like, do AUTHENTIC games play any different with the modchip off rather than on?

Hmm...my dad finally agreed to buy one today, since I told him it was only $24. I was planning on buying it at modchipcentral, since it's cheap there and they have a hologram sticker on it. Does that mean it's REALLY authentic? And also my legs are not cut for my Wii...so it's gonna make my job even easier!
biggrin.gif

wiithepeople

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"prett-ay good"?
laugh.gif

on/off switch is pretty much useless right now, just a precaution for the future, though it may never have any use.

Authentic games play just like you don't have a modchip installed if you turn the modchip off.

Modchipcentral is a reliable store, so it's authentic.

BTW the only reason people bitch about the Wiikey is because of some long times w/o updates. Still, though, the Wiikey team got the SMG fix out pretty quick, so IMO they're okay and it's pretty safe to go with Wiikey.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"prett-ay good"?
laugh.gif

on/off switch is pretty much useless right now, just a precaution for the future, though it may never have any use.

Authentic games play just like you don't have a modchip installed if you turn the modchip off.

Modchipcentral is a reliable store, so it's authentic.

BTW the only reason people bitch about the Wiikey is because of some long times w/o updates. Still, though, the Wiikey team got the SMG fix out pretty quick, so IMO they're okay and it's pretty safe to go with Wiikey.

I see, I guess I won't factor the on/off switch then into my decision.
But what happens if you DO have a modchip, can't turn it off, and run an authentic game?
huh.gif

And ok, modchipcentral it is then
biggrin.gif
Only $30 for a Wiikey plus shipping there. And yeah, I've heard that they do take a long time to get the updates out. But I guess you really can't complain, since it's free anyway..I mean, better to come a bit late than never at all [not having a modchip] :\

So essentially what you're saying is that, Wiikey is a good modchip, and that I should side with it? Like, it's almost identical to the Cyclowiz V2, and shouldn't be considered worse?

---------------

haruk said:

Meh, that's starting to worry me a bit now. I've also researched this a bit online and some people do believe that they're done with it..but you're sure that they confirmed that they are STILL working with Wiikey, and will continue to release updates?

Also, what's wiinewz?

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiinewz is a website, add a www. and a .com to the begining and end of it and you have yourself the url
smile.gif

as far as the wiikey being worse than the cyclowiz, its really not any worse. right now they all provide the same service... AKA ability to play burned games, how can you complain about that?
wink.gif

the people complaining about the slow updates have to look at the fact that there really isn't a NEED to update. and when SMG first came around with its protection the wiikey team did infact release an update whether i was 2 or 3 days after the problem was discovered or not is not really a concern since it was still before retail date of the disc anywho.

and nobody can really "guarantee" the wiikey eam are still working on it but at this point in time the ONLY thing the wiikey CANT do that the cyclowiz can is supposedly play dvd9 RETAIL discs ( burned dvd 9's work just fine ironically enough hehe) so it's not a huge issue in my book

(i've had a wiikey since they first became available and i stand by them, great chip that has never failed me so i'm ganna back them in any way and suggest the chip to whoever is looking for a chip.)

wiithepeople

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah, as long as there is no need for a Wiikey update like SMG (which there shouldn't be for a long while, maybe for mario kart
unsure.gif
) Wiikey should be ok. YAOSM is a good modchip too, and it's opensource and free code
biggrin.gif

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Hogmeister and wii_will_rule..much appreciated.
So I finally showed my dad the chip itself on a website today, and showed him how to solder it and take apart the Wii. He said that we're probably going to be ordering it tomorrow
happy.gif
....but he has a few questions first.

1) What IF something goes wrong with the Wiikey in the future, or rather..can something go wrong, and Nintendo suddenly brick my Wii?

2) He thought the install space was pretty small, so he's just asking if it's REALLY that hard?

And..yeah, that's all. He just doesn't want me to brick my Wii..and is worried. If someone could really clarify this main point, I'd be really happy
biggrin.gif

I don't wanna take any extreme chances..though I guess modding the Wii itself is an extreme chance. Though, people have said it's hard to screw up the install. I just don't wanna buy it and have Nintendo do something to all Wii's and brick 'em, or something happening AFTER I install it.

Thanks.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Today's the day
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna order it later tonight, just need a couple answers..please :\

Thanks everyone for ALL the help btw, and guiding me..[towards piracy?]
wink2.gif

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to date, theres no way for us to know whether or not nintendo can or will detect wiikeys or modchips at all and brick the wii's in any way. so theres no real answer to that.

as far as is it really that hard.. YES, if not prepared with a decent soldering iron with a small tip and some practice (PRACTICING is IMPERATIVE) you'll be overwhelmed real quickly. i'd recommend a magnifying glass, and a wired install but thats up to you. if you look around you'll see pictures of installs, these things are in a very small area.

rightguardsport

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Practice is key. If you don't practice before hand, I guarantee you will be overwhelmed by the size of the soldering pads. I remember when I did my first install I could barely see each pad individually. Buy a soldering iron with a small tip and file it down even smaller to make your life easier. O yea long wire install is the best and easiest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ok bye i'm not supposed to use my phone this early