Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Quick Solder method is a technique where you solderthe chip directly onto the board's sodler points instead of connecting them with wires.

Quick Solder Method:
http://www.chihkang.com/images/ins-cyclowiz-logo.jpg

Wire Method:
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5955/image82bs6.jpg

Personally I would stay away from the quick solder method. It will be near impossible for you to remove the mod chip if you ever want to. At least with the wire method, you can cut the wires or de-solder them with less hassle.

If you have no previous soldering experience then get someone who does. Other wise, read up on some basic techniques and practice on old computer boards.Â

IIRC there is a group that is actually making an adapter for the DB2 and DMS chips which clips right on to them. You only need to solder the the adapter to your modchip. I forget what it's called I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere.

Oh, ok. Well, my dad has solder experience..so I guess I'll leave the soldering up to him
biggrin.gif

But yeah, I can see where the wire method would be an advantage, if I do decide to mod my Wii..I'll take that path. How do you know which ones to connect where though? >.<

And also, to those who own the CycloWiz..what does this mean:

modchipstoreStealth Mode to keep chip from ever being detected from current wii firmware. Doesn't every chip have that? I thought that the Wii has very little chance of detecting the mod chip, since you're basically hacking the DVD drive...that's why firmwares can't brick your Wii, right?

Opotional Disable feature to turn your chip on and off. Would that ever come in handy? Also, how would you go about doing it?

Multipurpose LED to let you know that your chip is on and working, if it has an error, or if it is off. Sounds useful..but again, where does the LED show up? Inside the console..or on the power button of the wii?

DVD Firmware Upgrades available. Doesn't every modchip have that method of upgrading firmwares?

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's best that you use wires so you can remove it if you want to switch the modchip. Well, that's what I think at least.. I have zero solder experience.

Anyways.. here's mine:

d2cto5.jpg

Doesn't look that good for me..
frown.gif

Edit; That meas I'm only allowed to use D2CKey or Argon so far right?

Go with a D2CKey and the FlexPCB adapter. The adapter reduces the number of wires to 2 (Power and Ground) and makes for a very easy install (20-30min).

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Quick Solder method is a technique where you solderthe chip directly onto the board's sodler points instead of connecting them with wires.

Quick Solder Method:
http://www.chihkang.com/images/ins-cyclowiz-logo.jpg

Wire Method:
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5955/image82bs6.jpg

Personally I would stay away from the quick solder method. It will be near impossible for you to remove the mod chip if you ever want to. At least with the wire method, you can cut the wires or de-solder them with less hassle.

If you have no previous soldering experience then get someone who does. Other wise, read up on some basic techniques and practice on old computer boards.Â

IIRC there is a group that is actually making an adapter for the DB2 and DMS chips which clips right on to them. You only need to solder the the adapter to your modchip. I forget what it's called I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere.

Oh, ok. Well, my dad has solder experience..so I guess I'll leave the soldering up to him
biggrin.gif

But yeah, I can see where the wire method would be an advantage, if I do decide to mod my Wii..I'll take that path. How do you know which ones to connect where though? >.<

And also, to those who own the CycloWiz..what does this mean:

modchipstore said:
Stealth Mode to keep chip from ever being detected from current wii firmware. Doesn't every chip have that? I thought that the Wii has very little chance of detecting the mod chip, since you're basically hacking the DVD drive...that's why firmwares can't brick your Wii, right?

Opotional Disable feature to turn your chip on and off. Would that ever come in handy? Also, how would you go about doing it?

Multipurpose LED to let you know that your chip is on and working, if it has an error, or if it is off. Sounds useful..but again, where does the LED show up? Inside the console..or on the power button of the wii?

DVD Firmware Upgrades available. Doesn't every modchip have that method of upgrading firmwares?

1. Your right in a way. Stealth mode refers to how the modchip "convinces" the wii to accept backups. RAther then alter the Wii firmware, current modchips alter the data being sent to them. This way the Wii, in theory, has no idea it's reading a backup. Unless your into electronics don't worry about it any further.

2. To the Wii restart button. I've heard that pressed games tend to work better if the modchips are turned off. Aside from that, its more of a preference of how much control you want to have over your mod chip.

3. I can't recall though I think it's on the chip.

Most of these questions can be answered in the manual on the cyclowiz website under support:
http://www.cyclopswiz.com/Installation_Cyc...nglish_V1.2.pdf

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's best that you use wires so you can remove it if you want to switch the modchip. Well, that's what I think at least.. I have zero solder experience.

Anyways.. here's mine:

d2cto5.jpg

frown.gif

Go with a D2CKey and the FlexPCB adapter. The adapter reduces the number of wires to 2 (Power and Ground) and makes for a very easy install (20-30min).

Cool!
ohmy.gif
thanks! But still.. I got two more questions..
Sailor asked this too, if I were to solder without FlexPCB adapter, how do I know which wire goes into which socket and such?
And, FlexPCB still needs soldering right? But only 2 wires. So all the DC2Key goes into the FlexPCB adapter? Thanks for your help. You cut down a whole lot of time for me since I was going to search for answer for all these.

Edit: By the way.. I have zero experience with solder.. so yeah.
tongue.gif

Nevermind, I found out by searching for a video.
smile.gif

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Anyways.. here's mine:

d2cto5.jpg

frown.gif

Cool!
ohmy.gif
thanks! But still.. I got two more questions..
Sailor asked this too, if I were to solder without FlexPCB adapter, how do I know which wire goes into which socket and such?
And, FlexPCB still needs soldering right? But only 2 wires. So all the DC2Key goes into the FlexPCB adapter? Thanks for your help. You cut down a whole lot of time for me since I was going to search for answer for all these.

Edit: By the way.. I have zero experience with solder.. so yeah.
tongue.gif

Nevermind, I found out by searching for a video.
smile.gif

1. There are how to manuals and solder guides at the manufactures website. Google "D2ckey" and look around their website. Thats the first thing you should do. They will have some basic pictures guide to show you which wire goes where.

2. The flexPCB still needs soldering. It's not like wlip which clicks on to a chip. FlexPCB is a Flexible Printed circuit board and you still need to solder the Wii chip and the mod chip to it. Go to youtube and look for some flexPCB videos. You should be able to find some showing the install process.

3. Find some one who knows how to solder and let them do it. Other wise practice on old computer hardware until you get comfortable. I have years of surface mount soldering so it was easy for me.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question:
I'm pretty sure my Wii is D2B, and I have a NTSC-U console. I read somewhere that if you get the DVD case for Wii sports with Wii, it has uncut legs and if you get a cardboard case with it like I have, which looks like
298091302_c645d7790b.jpg
, then it is cut legs. Is that true?

haruk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, but I did get a cardboard case with my wii, and it was a D2C chipset, so I guess it can be either cut legs or D2C if that works.
Also, for you with 0 soldering experience, here's a forum with a bunch of people offering there services for a price, can either send it out or find one who does it locally:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/installers-repair/ (forum currently down atm, but will be up later)
I sent my wii to whiteblazer on that forum, he also has a website at www.mymodmall.com if you're interested in that =P
good luck, just had mine modded recently and it's definitely worth it xD

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
I've got a question:
I'm pretty sure my Wii is D2B, and I have a NTSC-U console. I read somewhere that if you get the DVD case for Wii sports with Wii, it has uncut legs and if you get a cardboard case with it like I have, which looks like
298091302_c645d7790b.jpg
, then it is cut legs. Is that true?
Well ive got the nice Wii box and it was a D2B whitout cut legs.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great topic name, 'hacking my wii'. Also great avatar Sailor.

One of those comments is sarcastic, you decide which one
tongue.gif
. Anyway, from what I have skimmed through seems your questions have been answered so I guess I'll leave it at the topic comment
wink.gif

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

tongue.gif
. Anyway, from what I have skimmed through seems your questions have been answered so I guess I'll leave it at the topic comment
wink.gif

Haha, I didn't notice at first
rofl2.gif

Thanks about the serious comment though
nyanya.gif

And yea, thanks all for answering my questions..but there's still 2 more that I have.

QUOTEOh, and if you do that to your Wii..your warranty is automatically VOID, right? :'[ like, can't I just take out the chip before sending it to them if something happens to the wii? or would they know somehow :\ my warranty is over in a month anyway..so i don't think it's that big of a problem

Hm..I also read somewhere that having a modchip wears out your laser faster..true?

Yea, after that I'll be a modchip wiz xD
I also asked my dad today, and he said that he's seriosuly thinking of letting me mod it. Which is probably going to turn into a yes ^__^
I also found it it's been dumped recently, so that's good news. It's also good that the CycloWiz can work with it already..w/o double channels I think. I just need to know 1 last thing also. You guys are SURE if I buy a modchip, and then later on in the year when Rock Band Wii releases..I can play that REAL game, on my Wii with NO problems? There'd be no point in burning that w/o instruments.

Oh! Wait..sorry, just thought of 1 more question
wacko.gif

How LONG do typical downloads of Wii games take? And do you need special kinds of CD's?

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
How LONG do typical downloads of Wii games take? And do you need special kinds of CD's?

Depends how fast your internet is. Most wii games are a little more than 4 gigs with the expection on SSBB. For me it takes less than an hour - 2 hours.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

Depends how fast your internet is. Most wii games are a little more than 4 gigs with the expection on SSBB. For me it takes less than an hour - 2 hours.

Oh...well speedtest says I have 768kb/128kb download/upload. Though when I go to download something it only goes at 90kb/s >.<
Guess that means it'll take forever for me.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

tongue.gif
wink.gif

rofl2.gif

nyanya.gif

And yea, thanks all for answering my questions..but there's still 2 more that I have.

QUOTE said:
Oh, and if you do that to your Wii..your warranty is automatically VOID, right? :'[ like, can't I just take out the chip before sending it to them if something happens to the wii? or would they know somehow :\ my warranty is over in a month anyway..so i don't think it's that big of a problem

Hm..I also read somewhere that having a modchip wears out your laser faster..true?

I also asked my dad today, and he said that he's seriosuly thinking of letting me mod it. Which is probably going to turn into a yes ^__^
I also found it it's been dumped recently, so that's good news. It's also good that the CycloWiz can work with it already..w/o double channels I think. I just need to know 1 last thing also. You guys are SURE if I buy a modchip, and then later on in the year when Rock Band Wii releases..I can play that REAL game, on my Wii with NO problems? There'd be no point in burning that w/o instruments.

wacko.gif

1. Installing a chip (AFAIK) = voiding warrenty (not that I have any anymore, but that's beside the point)
2. Modchip runs out laser faster? Shouldn't be. At least although it is indeed possible that due to the use of other media (/ crappy media) and other such features the laser unit would have to work more thus causing it to run through it's life faster. Generally you shouldn't experience too much problems.
3. Will your original game run? Depending on the type of protection used and the type/brand of chip used yes your original will run fine. There were a few instances (with WiiKey I think) that didn't agree with the SMG protection even with originals, but that shouldn't be a problem. Even if you happen to experience such a thing look around as probably more people will be having the problem and there either will be a fix soon or you just resolder a new chip in (just desolder the wires from the chip and onto a new one ---> no new soldering to your Wii).

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Oh...well speedtest says I have 768kb/128kb download/upload. Though when I go to download something it only goes at 90kb/s >.<

Lol, I'm guessing your using Verizon DSl?
Be prepared to leave your computer on over night
laugh.gif

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

laugh.gif

Yea..and awh man, that sucks :'[
Better than dial-up though, I guess. How come I only get part of my true download speed? :\ Is that how it always is?
Oh..and what kinda CD's should I use for games?

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

tongue.gif
wink.gif

rofl2.gif

nyanya.gif

QUOTE said:
Oh, and if you do that to your Wii..your warranty is automatically VOID, right? :'[ like, can't I just take out the chip before sending it to them if something happens to the wii? or would they know somehow :\ my warranty is over in a month anyway..so i don't think it's that big of a problem

wacko.gif

1. Installing a chip (AFAIK) = voiding warrenty (not that I have any anymore, but that's beside the point)
2. Modchip runs out laser faster? Shouldn't be. At least although it is indeed possible that due to the use of other media (/ crappy media) and other such features the laser unit would have to work more thus causing it to run through it's life faster. Generally you shouldn't experience too much problems.
3. Will your original game run? Depending on the type of protection used and the type/brand of chip used yes your original will run fine. There were a few instances (with WiiKey I think) that didn't agree with the SMG protection even with originals, but that shouldn't be a problem. Even if you happen to experience such a thing look around as probably more people will be having the problem and there either will be a fix soon or you just resolder a new chip in (just desolder the wires from the chip and onto a new one ---> no new soldering to your Wii).

1) Ah ok..not a problem then :\
2) I see....thanks again. Not that big of a problem though, I hope/suppose.
3) Well, I'm gonna use a ClycloWiz...and they say that those things can be turned off when you want it to by holding down the reset button when powering on your Wii, so would I have any problem there?

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

laugh.gif

Better than dial-up though, I guess. How come I only get part of my true download speed? :\ Is that how it always is?

CD's are a thing of the past now. You'd be using DVDs. The type of DVD would vary depending on your modchip, but most modchips have supports for all DVD's. People usually get good results with DVD-R's though. As for the speed thing the speed advertised is in Kbps. Your actually download speed is in kbps. They're 2 different measures of speed.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

laugh.gif

CD's are a thing of the past now. You'd be using DVDs. The type of DVD would vary depending on your modchip, but most modchips have supports for all DVD's. People usually get good results with DVD-R's though. As for the speed thing the speed advertised is in Kbps. Your actually download speed is in kbps. They're 2 different measures of speed.

Awh..they tricked me :'[
And ok, when I get my Wii modded I'll go shopping for some DVD-R's. Man, I can't wait..didn't know it was this simple :\
Well, not really THAT simple..but still not hard. My friend also told me that if I get my Wii modded, I better do it for him too, and he's a big anti-piracy against Nintendo person
laugh.gif

I would download games in school, because they have like 10mb download speed, but I think I'd be expelled >.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol