What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I was thinking about buying a PSP ONLY FOR EMULATION PURPOSES. I was thinking it would be nice to have a pocket sized N64, GBA, GBC, SNES, and everything else all in one at the palm of my hands. Don't even start with the games because I couldn't care less for the PSP's games. Just forget them. Don't even want to look at any titles. Forget PSP games. Just want it for the really cool brew scene. My 2 questions to you guys is:

1: Do you think it's worth it in your opinion for just emu purposes? It seems like a hefty price tag but considering what the PSP can do emulation wise I am very impressed.
2: How hard is it to downgrade/put custom firmware on the new PSP slims if I were to buy one at a store right now? I have heard the new ones are coming with a new motherboard that prevents them from being downgraded at all until someone finds a break through. Is that really true? That's a nightmare if it is.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if emu is your thing, just wait for a pandora.
But a psp will suffice. N64 emu is really slow though, but PS games rock!
1.yep
2. easy enough, certainly more difficult than a DS, but not entirely so. I'm not sure about the mobo issue so can't say.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Custom firmware is very easy to install, just follow the stickied tutorials. Now, for emulation, NES, GB/C, GEN, and PS1 all work great. However, SNES has some serious problems mostly caused by trying to emulate sound. N64 is barely worth mentioning, incredibly slow. Is it worth it? Depends. Can your computer play PS1 games perfectly? If not, it might be worth it. And check out the PSP games, there's some real gems out there. They'll be free anyway, so why not?
yaypsp.gif

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
golden said:
1: Do you think it's worth it in your opinion for just emu purposes? It seems like a hefty price tag but considering what the PSP can do emulation wise I am very impressed.

Honestly, no. I guess if it had reliable, FULL SPEED N64 emulating, then possibly. But if you're in JUST for emulation purposes, you're not gonna get your money's worth. I hope you did research what the PSP can and cannot emulate, and the speeds.

2: How hard is it to downgrade/put custom firmware on the new PSP slims if I were to buy one at a store right now? I have heard the new ones are coming with a new motherboard that prevents them from being downgraded at all until someone finds a break through. Is that really true? That's a nightmare if it is.

Downgrading a PSP Slim is not hard at all. You cn buy a Pandora Battery for very cheap ($20-$30), you can use a friends PSP that is already CFW enabled to downgrade yours, or you can just simply hard-mod a Slim battery. It is really a very easy task, even for newbs.

Yes, the very new PSPs have the new type of motherboard, but (don't quote me on this) I believe it's only the Red GoW PSPs that have this problem. Also, Dark_AleX, the legend that has made CFW on the PSP possible, is working on a solution for it, and I'm sure he'll have it up soon.

Thanks for all your help guys.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all your help guys. I didn't know that the PSP couldn't really emulate the N64 at full speed. I thought I could play 99% if not 100% of N64 games fine on it. Other than the N64, I know all the other emus and what they can or cannot do. Also, I didn't know anything about that pandora console so I think I will hold up the PSP for now and see what happens with that thing because it seems pretty cool. Thanks again for all you help.
yaypsp.gif

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Just wanted to add 2 more things.

tritonfx said:
I think if emu is your thing, just wait for a pandora.
Just to let you know, the Pandora will retail for around $350USD. That's a hefty price to pay. If you got that kind of money laying around, and would rather get that over something that's 200USD or a new-gen console, then I guess that's fine.

QUOTE(Valkrys @ Aug 1 2008, 12:22 AM) Now, for emulation, NES, GB/C, GEN, and PS1 all work great. However, SNES has some serious problems mostly caused by trying to emulate sound. N64 is barely worth mentioning, incredibly slow.
I would like to add to this. NES, GB, GBC, GBA, SNES, some SEGA consoles, old ATARI, and some other lesser known old consoles are emulated really well. I haven't experienced any sound glitches whatsoever when playing SNES, and I've played over 20 GBA Roms on my PSP perfectly. Full speed, and sometimes even with cheats.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can you tell me some info about Daedalus(sp?), the N64 emulator? How is it? Game compatibility? Speed? Is it great? Good? Ok? Work in progress?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't even bother buying one unless you can get one for a good deal, cause it's not worth it if you are just going to use it as an emulator.

The N64 emulators I have tried were slow, I doubt one specific program over the others isn't going to be better for performance and compatibility.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a 16$ 4GB memory stick from DealExtreme along with a pandora and a Slim PSP black, with the total coming to 200$.

I have to say it is worth it, because of the mobile features (browser, psptube) and playing all my old PS1 games is awesome.

Right now I'm trying to get high quality video working on it...

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there's not a TON of psp exclusives that I wanted, but DS didn't do sports great, so I made the jump

oddly enough, I've spent 99% of my time playing my old PS games on it, and right now, i'm super engrossed in the port of FF tactics. it's really well done, and I"m enjoying the shit out of it again

for the video, SUPER does a really decent job of encoding for the psp, just have to put the files in the E:\VIDEO\100MNV01 folder, and life is good

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait, the GoW PSPs can't be hacked?
frown.gif
I don't want to buy my games anymore. XD Yeah, I wished there was an easier way or cheaper way. I don't want to buy an extra battery or mod it, I'll ask my brother, he modded his, but his was phat, and now a brick. XD

And the only way it gets bricked is if it is not charged while installing firmware updates?

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Daedalus is still slow on many N64 games. What made me disregard this emulator for now was it not being able to play Zelda N64 well..
frown.gif
The only significant game it could play well is Mario 64.

If you're PSP is just for emulating, buying it would be a waste considering the price of around 200(well if you could consider Mp3 playing and video and internet, it could have some use).

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I want to be a pirate arrrrg!
tongue.gif

So will it work properly? I got it at the first day! I hope it will. pwease Dark-Alex, find a solution!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...