• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Writer's Strike is apparently over. Has it had any impact on your life?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
oh jesus god why?
You should try suffering through Strike Force Five, where the dredges of Late Night spilled over to create a vapid soup of narcissism. These people are painfully unfunny without someone writing jokes for them, and demonstrably incompetent without a crew running the buttons and knobs. It’s hilarious in how unfunny it is. I believe the term coined by RLM is “non-medy” - you’re not laughing, you hear it, and somehow it makes you “less-laugh”, in their parlance.

Review of the show:

https://whoarethese.com/ep442-strike-force-five-chrissie-mayr-crossover/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
SNL in the '90's WOULD have been peak SNL, if the coke-fueled '80's didn't exist.

Still. Like '95-'98 SNL was golden.
Modern SNL is like a psychological experiment on the level of MKUltra. Alphabet agencies could play that stuff to prospective sleeper agents if they wanted to turn them into terrorists, all they’d need is one of those Clockwork Orange chair setups and after a few hours they’ve got themselves a new member of the Taliban, hellbent on destroying America. An expected reaction given the content being served.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modern SNL is like a psychological experiment on the level of MKUltra. Alphabet agencies could play that stuff to prospective sleeper agents if they wanted to turn them into terrorists, all you’d need is one of those Clockwork Orange setups and after a few hours you’ve got yourself a new member of the Taliban, hellbent on destroying America. An expected reaction given the content being served.
I miss Key and Peele. That was the last funny sketch comedy show that I can remember.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I miss Key and Peele. That was the last funny sketch comedy show that I can remember.
People who rose to stardom creating risky comedy are now telling the new generation what is and isn’t acceptable in comedy - that’s the problem. I think they know this shit is not funny, and I don’t think being funny is the goal anymore.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who rose to stardom creating risky comedy are now telling the new generation what is and isn’t acceptable in comedy - that’s the problem. I think they know this shit is not funny, and I don’t think being funny is the goal anymore.
That is why I am all for every single form of offensive comedy that is still being created. I grew up with my parents watching VHS tapes of Richard Pryor, for fuck's sake. When NO ONE was safe, and it was still okay to tell a joke.

I love dark, horrible humor. The more it makes people uncomfortable, the better. That's the POINT of comedy. To safely take you to an uncomfortable place, so you can laugh at it.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I rarely ever watch Telly or movies, too shallow and clichéd for me these days.

Maybe 15 years ago there was also a writers guild strike which practically killed an epic series, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, season-1 had 9 episodes instead of 22 which later affected season 2 leading to early cancelation.

Sad to hear that writers still don't get paid $hit for their creativity while celebrities and corporations strike it rich.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should try suffering through Strike Force Five, where the dredges of Late Night spilled over to create a vapid soup of narcissism. These people are painfully unfunny without someone writing jokes for them, and demonstrably incompetent without a crew running the buttons and knobs. It’s hilarious in how unfunny it is. I believe the term coined by RLM is “non-medy” - you’re not laughing, you hear it, and somehow it makes you “less-laugh”, in their parlance.

Review of the show:

Review of the show:

sounds like some of the people we have on here.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It just needs to be "good enough", based on the trajectory of AI advancement this year i'd guess fully prompted game design in maybe 5-10 years.
Funny you mention game development. This reminds me of that AI that managed to recreate a barebones racing game by being fed footage of said game being played. I wish I had the video handy, it was quite remarkable. Janky, but remarkable nonetheless. People underestimate what kind of impact this will have on creatives.

EDIT: It was GAN Theft Auto. The experiment was based on NVidia’s GameGAN which ingests footage and player input, and generates a “playable” facsimile of what it ingested. In this example it managed to recreate some very intricate details like wall collisions or lighting.

https://www.eurogamer.net/gan-theft-auto-is-a-snippet-of-gta-5-made-by-ai

Last edited by Foxi4,

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

this gets cancelled, why even bother watching streaming shows that cant produce the entire season like Netflix, fuck streaming or commiting to watching show that is under the mercy of Hollywood/Stikes blackmail

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP

this gets cancelled, why even bother watching streaming shows that cant produce the entire season like Netflix, fuck streaming or commiting to watching show that is under the mercy of Hollywood/Stikes blackmail

I wonder why they cancelled that, it was one of the better shows that was released last year?

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder why they cancelled that, it was one of the better shows that was released last year?
its not Good or bad, it was entertaining enough and based on a story by the creator of Cyberpunk Genre

they will lose more money if the show was delayed or they took the strikes as an excuse to cancel, it didnt achieve the views they projected, it was already confirmed to have a second season before the strikes

Westworld got cancelled, but that one was before the strikes, and didnt need a 5th season
but this one, its amazon, they are shitting money, they can afford to save it

Last edited by ZER-O,

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
its not Good or bad, it was entertaining enough an dbased on a story by the creator of Cyberpunk Genre

they will lose more money if the show was delayed or they took the strikes as an excuse to cancel, it didnt achieve the views they projected, it was already confirmed to have a second season before the strikes

Westworld got cancelled, but that one was before the strikes, and didnt need a 5th season
but this one, its amazon, they are shitting money, they can afford to save it
I already thought Westworld was finished, wasn't that last season pretty much telling you the outcome of everything. It seemed pointless to make another one tbh as it would have been boring.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I already thought Westworld was finished, wasn't that last season pretty much telling you the outcome of everything. It seemed pointless to make another one tbh as it would have been boring.
they had plans for a 5th season, and after they cancelled it they still paid the producers and actors for it as that was the contract cancellation fallout agreement
https://deadline.com/2022/11/westworld-core-cast-paid-season-5-cancellation-reasons-1235164050/
https://winteriscoming.net/2023/02/24/hbo-boss-explains-removed-westworld-hbo-max/

forward: Westworld season 5 plot: What would have happened?

HBO
The Man in Black triggered the end of sentient life in the season four finale, as violence wiped out both hosts and humans. However, the episode's final moments revealed that Dolores holds the key to the fates of both species.

She devises one more "test" after Charlotte uploads her Pearl to the Sublime, recreating a simulation of the original Westworld park populated by her memories of all the hosts and humans before her.

Season five would most likely have followed Dolores as she decides whether sentient life is worth saving, which Joy has stated would bring the show full circle. "One last loop around the bend," as Dolores put it.

"It's not an accident that they're returning to the West, as Westworld, and this time with a completely different storyteller in charge," Joy told The Wrap ahead of the cancellation. "I think point of view can change drastically the meaning of any kind of story or existence, and now it's her turn.

side note: The Perepheral is also made by the same Producers/Writers (who did Westworld

as for your question
Westworld dragged the story, and the idea behind season 5 return to old set was dumb, we got lucky with an okay Ending before it got cancelled

Last edited by ZER-O,

EchoStorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My parents called me more because all the terrible late-night hosts were out of commission, so they wanted to know what was happening in the world. That was nice I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ninty can still make money filing false DMCAs.
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid prime 4 to the next console because by now it has been quite a while and there's no release date scheduled yet
    lol there's a guy selling mig switch in usa on ebay for $200/ea he's definitely going to get nailed with dmca by tomorrow
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Wasn't Metroid Prime 4 teased all the way back in 2017? For the switch no less?
    :rofl2:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped
    for $200? rofl.
    well as far as metroid prime 4 is concerned, the next system probably is similar enough to the current gen they can probably easily just slap it onto a next gen cart and call it good :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The switch was about 350 in 2017
  • Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0:
    mabe where you live
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will launch globally on March 3, 2017 for $299.99—earlier than some had expected at the price many suspected. https://time.com/4632820/nintendo-switch-nx/
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The NES launched at like 250 and the rob and light gun kit was like 350 or something
    I was near the test market for the NES and man did it make my 2600 look like ass lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory
    next system rumored to launch at $400
    but I don't really believe any rumors yet
    need to have official info from N
    The 3DO and Neo Geo where like 700 bucks hmm the PS3 was stupid expensive at launch lol
    But at least the PS3 was only 500 for the cheapest one at launch
    My opinion is that 199.99 is the sweet spot but that spot is long gone lol
    Just played some Micheal Jackson Moonwalker.... Those poor parents trying desperately to protect their children
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    400 is a decent sweet spot if we get enough out of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how it was when we were locked down to a few options and that's it
    For me just buying a Pi and some accessories fills that not a PC void new consoles have just put them close to PC prices and all the patching and updates makes me feel like I might as well just get a PC
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: For me just buying a Pi and some accessories fills that not a PC void new consoles have just put...