• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Writer's Strike is apparently over. Has it had any impact on your life?

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering. I don't know very many, if any, people who still watch live TV. Not sure which movies were affected by this, either, since everything that comes out is either a remake or a Marvel movie.

Has the strike affected your life in any way?

FreePlayFlorida

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive missed SNL but would have been on a hiatus anyway for some of it, cant say its really impacted my life thou, hopefully things can get back to some normal thou, as masses of reality tv to fill in the blanks was getting old lol

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There's still content that was finished before the strike began which has yet to be released, so not really. Glad they were able to come to an agreement relatively quickly though, it was ludicrous how little some of the best TV/movie writers were being paid for their work.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think part of it, too, is that a lot more people now simply don't even watch conventional shows anymore. I spend more time on YouTube than anything. If i were younger, it would probably be Snapchat, Instagram or TikTok.

I'd rather watch a three-hour Final Fantasy Randomizer race than most broadcast TV. Or parrots throwing tantrums.

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I know of. I only watch Classic TV and that obvious has not been effected. I don't generally watch new movies until they are already a year or two old.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"The Bear" is probably the best-written show I've seen since "Better Call Saul," and the writers reportedly only made a couple grand each from it. Too many studios prioritizing quantity over quality.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I was enjoying the break from woke crap, hopefully these "writers" have had some time to think about their life choices and many won't return back to work. TBH I never even knew that they were on strike so that tells a story, and there's aleady more than enough stuff to watch in back catalogues to keep even the most square eyed nerds going for many years.
Probably these writers will soon be replaced by AI anyway and will be obsolete in a few years, just like steam train drivers were and coal miners are becoming yesterdays news, these actors will be replaced by AI characters and nobody will miss them.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was enjoying the break from woke crap, hopefully these "writers" have had some time to think about their life choices and many won't return back to work. TBH I never even knew that they were on strike so that tells a story, and there's aleady more than enough stuff to watch in back catalogues to keep even the most square eyed nerds going for many years.
Probably these writers will soon be replaced by AI anyway and will be obsolete in a few years, just like steam train drivers were and coal miners are becoming yesterdays news, these actors will be replaced by AI characters and nobody will miss them.
I am eager for some good, offensive comedy that pisses people off while everyone who gets the joke is able to laugh.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am eager for some good, offensive comedy that pisses people off while everyone who gets the joke is able to laugh.
Dark comedy is something that I totally enjoy. Something like Brasseye for example.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Watching the writers whine about nothing (residuals is a thing you can negotiate for in such things, why it should be the standard vs work for hire I don't know), ask for stupid things (writers room minimums was ridiculous) and reveal themselves as luddites (A.I. gonna get ya) and bloodthirsty hypocrites was amusing in the same way watching buildings burn down is amusing but unfulfilling. Should have gone on longer and had it all come crashing down, though there is still hope.

As far as actual impact. Compared to the previous ones then no. Before many things I was watching got cut short and were off air for a long time (granted I am from the UK where years between series and them being 6 episodes long is nothing unusual) where today I am not watching anything new. If they do force people to reveal how low numbers, profits and watchers are on streaming services then so much the better.

The dune 2 delay (they claim lack of promotion, reality is they want something in the can to drip feed people while it gets spun back up) might technically have been a thing I noted but I was already waiting for it to come out before I watched them both in one hit (not to mention I have read the original books, played the games, watched the original film, watched and quite enjoyed the sci fi channel versions, seen the documentary on Jodorowski's Dune and enjoy the occasional lore video on the matter so it was only ever going to be a capstone/expanded lore video for my purposes).

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yea I looked into AI to see what all the fuss was about.
Holy shit I love the writing AI's, I've gotten a model trained to write custom books for me (70% good/ 30% garbage).
I'm gonna look into the art ai's here https://civitai.com/ next.

can't wait to use AI to generate my own videogames one day.

rip hollywood.
It's never going to be as good as the human input

• Haha

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[a.i.]It's never going to be as good as the human input
That seems like more of a philosophical question.

Feeding AI a random disaster planning scenario (most governments give them out to anybody that wants to read them), picking a random disease from the book of exciting diseases for your medical show, picking a what if scenario to stretch out from the handful of sci fi or fantasy tropes... the standard thing the majority of these writers do (and probably fail at doing well).

Picking one of the plot types https://www.masterclass.com/articles/a-guide-to-story-archetypes (for those unaware you have 7 basic story types that basically everything is a version of).

Picking a writing style or setting accordingly...

That will get you a serviceable thing already, and some of the models are getting token counts and memories of previous actions intp the quite ridiculous camps (not sure where the hardware limits might wind up but still likely a while you yet), considerably better than if you only tried chatgpt when it went viral a few months back. Might want someone playing editor (curator might also be a term) but that is often an awful lot easier.

Voice work is there already (got very nice emotions, songs, languages... and fitting it to someone blathering in their webcam mic is even better).

Sound effects are there already but not quite as good as voice.

Music is doing very well and almost there for most purposes.

2d stills are better and better. Background art is already actively used.

Moving replacements of 2d stills is a lot of work but nerd in a bedroom level. More than good enough for a cartoon.

3d models is a bit out but not much. Should not be too hard to couple with mocap either (or indeed fake it if you can't be bothered to get a suit or paint dots on your face).

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really consume modern media, outside of video games, so nope. It was funny to watch the strike from the outside though.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Don't underestimate AI. Has a lot more access to the world than narrow minded topical narrative drivers.

Though it will be compromised somehow, if not already. My money is that the compromise is already a lot more illuminating. You should try it. It can tell you how and why you are wrong without making you feel like the asshole you know that you are. You've got nothing worthwhile to lose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright