• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Writer's Strike is apparently over. Has it had any impact on your life?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I am disappointed that the writers didn’t leave and get better jobs elsewhere. Hollywood writers haven’t produced anything original or interesting for decades
WGA is national, not just in Hollywood. I believe video game writers can join as well.

Clamoring for AI to take over creative industries is rather dystopian, IMO. Robots are meant to take over the menial jobs we hate doing, so that we have more time for things that provide self-growth and self-fulfillment. Humanity adapting to become more robotic instead solely benefits the 1%.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
WGA is national, not just in Hollywood. I believe video game writers can join as well.

Clamoring for AI to take over creative industries is rather dystopian, IMO. Robots are meant to take over the menial jobs we hate doing, so that we have more time for things that provide self-growth and self-fulfillment. Humanity adapting to become more robotic instead solely benefits the 1%.
Fair but I still stand by point. I am disappointed people didn’t quit and start up or join indie studios. Quite this meme sums up my feelings about the strike
IMG_9082.jpeg

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really consume modern media, outside of video games, so nope. It was funny to watch the strike from the outside though.
Well there are probably game writers that are part of that union, like how many voice actors are part of SAG-AFTRA.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fair but I still stand by point. I am disappointed people didn’t quit and start up or join indie studios. Quite this meme sums up my feelings about the strike
View attachment 397017
I mean...bad as some Hollywood writers are, would you really want them ruining indie films too?

Reactions: Guacaholey

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
No, because the last two TV shows I've watched are from the early 2000s. And both were canned by lame-brained execs who couldn't understand the meaning of the word "quality". So either, you get good quality and they kill it off soullessly, or you get trash quality written by robots that goes on 3982 seasons.

However, video game voice actors, and voice actors in general are still striking, and should be given the time of day just as much as the writers' were.

EmiXD2008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes it had the impact in my life of not getting interesting comic con announcements aside from 1987 TMNT being bought by Nickelodeon and also I think they should strike because streaming services are removing shows to not pay residuals to the writers and actors.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am disappointed people didn’t quit and start up or join indie studios
There's probably a provision about that in their contracts.
Yes it had the impact in my life of not getting interesting comic con announcements aside from 1987 TMNT being bought by Nickelodeon and also I think they should strike because streaming services are removing shows to not pay residuals to the writers and actors.
Well that's what they have to do essentially. If it's ruled that they have to pay residuals them they're not going to renew licenses.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I am disappointed that the writers didn’t leave and get better jobs elsewhere. Hollywood writers haven’t produced anything original or interesting for decades
What was your last "good movie"?
Post automatically merged:

I mean...bad as some Hollywood writers are, would you really want them ruining indie films too?
Indie, afiak, is smaller developers aiming to make it or break it. The idea of them, too, entering the field would be a chance to prove their worth or, at least, the existence of an interested audience. Indie films are already generally shit, as quantity far exceeds quality. What risk is there in bad writers "ruining the field".

Last edited by tabzer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Indie, afiak, is smaller developers aiming to make it or break it. The idea of them, too, entering the field would be a chance to prove their worth or, at least, the existence of an interested audience. Indie films are already generally shit, as quantity far exceeds quality. What risk is there in bad writers "ruining the field".
Hollywood is becoming more and more risk-averse over time. It doesn't matter what you write for the 12th Transformers sequel, it's never gonna be a transcendent masterpiece. Indie film-making allows you to take any kind of risks you want, and while they're not always gonna work out as hoped, some writers will naturally prefer that level of freedom over a bigger check for writing slop.

Reactions: Guacaholey

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just want a new season of South Park. Luckily, most of that is written by two people, and I doubt they joined the strike, or ever would.
Their studio already got a big contract/payout years before the strike began. That said, they weren't working during the strike. Only two people foolish enough to try were Bill Maher and Drew Barrymore, and they both backed down after getting torn a new asshole.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have spent more time reading comic books lately than watching television. None of those were affected, thank goodness.

It's important to diversify your interests.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hollywood is becoming more and more risk-averse over time. It doesn't matter what you write for the 12th Transformers sequel, it's never gonna be a transcendent masterpiece. Indie film-making allows you to take any kind of risks you want, and while they're not always gonna work out as hoped, some writers will naturally prefer that level of freedom over a bigger check for writing slop.
Many union actors are willing to work for scale (i.e. minimum allowed by the union) on such projects if they're interested in them too.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That's kind of the distinction that I am alluding to. It seemed like in your previous comment that you were suggesting Hollywood writers could ruin the Indie scene by oversaturating it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am saddened that the strike is over. Most of those writers are terrible and should’ve been sacked. They’ve won concessions when their performance does not justify an increase in pay or benefits. In fact, I really hoped that they would continue to strike until the guild monopoly is broken and Hollywood starts reaching out to independent writers who undoubtedly have better stories to contribute to media at large.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I am saddened that the strike is over. Most of those writers are terrible and should’ve been sacked. They’ve won concessions when their performance does not justify an increase in pay or benefits. In fact, I really hoped that they would continue to strike until the guild monopoly is broken and Hollywood starts reaching out to independent writers who undoubtedly have better stories to contribute to media at large.

Another #metoo performance.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1