• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The United States has now promised, or given, more than $113 billion to Ukraine. Why won't the rest of the UN step up to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering. America has given Ukraine more money, weapons, ammunition and humanitarian aid than all other nations in the world, combined, and then some.

Why isn't the UN willing to help more than it has? Why are other nations refusing to contribute to a war that everyone says is so critical for the security of not just that region, but the world, at large?

Thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: scroeffie1984

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The rest of the world knows that war is all we ever spend our money on anyway, not like it was in any danger of going toward universal healthcare.

Though really it's a small amount of actual cash we're sending, mostly weapons that were manufactured long ago and have just been gathering cobwebs since.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rest of the world knows that war is all we ever spend our money on anyway, not like it was in any danger of going toward universal healthcare.

Though really it's a small amount of actual cash we're sending, mostly weapons that were manufactured long ago and have just been gathering cobwebs since.
One of the things I hate the most about this country. The Permanent War Economy. It's built into every facet of American society, starting with patriotism and military worship, and ending with bullshit like this where we stick our nose into every conflict we can, JUST to ramp up production of ways to hurt other people.

I would MUCH rather that money go to support our own people, if I had to choose. We have lots of veterans, lots of homeless people, lots of neglected senior citizens. People right here at home who need help. It's time to stop being the World Police.

$113 billion is not exactly chump change. That, divided by 168 million taxpaying Americans, comes out to about $672 per person.

I'm not exactly cool with funding America's obsession with proxy wars in nations that no one here could even pronounce the capital of, or point out on a map, two years ago.
You're talking bollocks, that's what the thoughts are - the EU institutions have provided more than the US has, in just money alone. Secondly, google the amount relative to each nations GDP, the US is way down the list in that respect.
How much have YOU personally donated to the war effort? I've paid almost seven hundred dollars, along with every other American who pays federal taxes. No one asked for my consent. They just took my money.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not exactly cool with funding America's obsession with proxy wars in nations that no one here could even pronounce the capital of, or point out on a map, two years ago.
To be fair, it is an investment that will pay for itself tenfold in the long run. Russia has already let the cat out of the bag in that their plan was originally to invade all post-Soviet states. Ukraine is defending all of Europe from Putin's senseless warmongering, and their country was a massive exporter of grain and technological advancements prior to the war. They can be once again once they've driven the invaders out.

Defensively is how our military and its resources should have always been used, with the exception of WW2 where we had an obvious moral imperative to get involved.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Defensively is how our military and its resources should have always been used, with the exception of WW2 where we had an obvious moral imperative to get involved.
Yeah. that worked out great in Korea and Vietnam.

America is just a warmongering country, and we have been since our birth. I'm just sick of it. Even if it's not us doing the fighting, we're doing the funding and supplying.

Just imagine what this world could be if we went ten years, or even five, DECIMATING our military budget and putting that back into our infrastructure, energy grid, education, healthcare, and ways to improve the lives of Americans who actually pay for all of this military largess.

I'm kind of at the "Fuck everyone else" stage, at this point. Maybe that makes me the asshole. No one from Ukraine ever bought ME a lunch when I was hungry.

I just want someone to send me a goat. I sent my dollar. 672 of them, to be precise.

Please tell me someone gets this reference.
You're talking bollocks, that's what the thoughts are - the EU institutions have provided more than the US has, in just money alone. Secondly, google the amount relative to each nations GDP, the US is way down the list in that respect.
Please provide evidence to support this claim. From my research, I absolutely do not believe you, and I think you are completely wrong. I will admit if you are correct, if you can prove it, but I strongly doubt it. You must have some source that no one else has shown on the entire internet. I'd love to see your math.

Last edited by WalterSlovotsky,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
America is just a warmongering country, and we have been since our birth. I'm just sick of it. Even if it's not us doing the fighting, we're doing the funding and supplying.
No disagreement here, but it's important to remember that we didn't start this invasion or provoke it in any capacity. The US even tried to discourage it by announcing publicly that Putin was planning to invade, about two weeks ahead of time. Some men can only be reasoned with once they're staring down the barrel of a gun.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No disagreement here, but it's important to remember that we didn't start this invasion or provoke it in any capacity. The US even tried to discourage it by announcing publicly that Putin was planning to invade, about two weeks ahead of time. Some men can only be reasoned with once they're staring down the barrel of a gun.
We agree. This doesn't mean that America has to foot the bill. Not our pig, not our farm. Zelenskyy just left after yet another bout of begging, and is walking away again with hundreds of millions of dollars. Again. If I sound like I am over it, it's because I am. I really wish HE would pick up one of the millions of guns we gave him for free, strap on his boots, and go fight and win his own war. I'll contribute to his GoFundMe personally, if he does that.

No good sergeant ever commands a private to do what he wouldn't do, himself. Ukraine is conscripting all men from ages 18-45, compulsory service. It's like the New York Draft Riots. Ukrainians are bribing their way out of participating in this war, as we speak. If you have about five thousand dollars, you can buy your way out. Zelenskyy wants your money or your life.

Zelenskyy has yet to fire a single round in defense of his own country. He sure can beg and threaten, though.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
We agree. This doesn't mean that America has to foot the bill. Not our pig, not our farm. Zelenskyy just left after yet another bout of begging, and is walking away again with hundreds of millions of dollars. Again. If I sound like I am over it, it's because I am. I really wish HE would pick up one of the millions of guns we gave him for free, strap on his boots, and go fight and win his own war. I'll contribute to his GoFundMe personally, if he does that.

No good sergeant ever commands a private to do what he wouldn't do, himself. Ukraine is conscripting all men from ages 18-45, compulsory service. It's like the New York Draft Riots. Ukrainians are bribing their way out of participating in this war, as we speak. If you have about five thousand dollars, you can buy your way out. Zelenskyy wants your money or your life.

Zelenskyy has yet to fire a single round in defense of his own country. He sure can beg and threaten, though.
That's just silly. Zelenskyy has been in danger of losing his own life often throughout this conflict, while Putin has been hiding in a bunker as far away from the front lines as possible the entire time. Though yes, it would be nice if there was far more personal risk involved for the invading nation's president/dictator. Might cause them to think twice before giving the order.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just silly. Zelenskyy has been in danger of losing his own life often throughout this conflict, while Putin has been hiding in a bunker as far away from the front lines as possible the entire time. Though yes, it would be nice if there was far more personal risk involved for the invading nation's president/dictator. Might cause them to think twice before giving the order.
Epitaphs of the War - Rudyard Kipling.

I think YOU would appreciate this, in particular.

If any question why we died,
Tell them, because our fathers lied.

wiiu20603

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't defend your nation, it's not the responsibility of the US to do it for you.

Most EU nations produce nothing of value anyway. Even if Russia takes over the whole continent, day to day life in the rest of the world wouldn't change.

Honestly, our way of life in the US would be more threatened by a Russian invasion of China than a Russian invasion of Europe.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you can't defend your nation, it's not the responsibility of the US to do it for you.

Most EU nations produce nothing of value anyway. Even if Russia takes over the whole continent, day to day life in the rest of the world wouldn't change.

Honestly, our way of life in the US would be more threatened by a Russian invasion of China than a Russian invasion of Europe.
What a brainless take on things, as if Russia and China wouldn't gladly starve us out given half the chance. You don't abandon allies in favor of reliance on two-faced adversaries.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
It's not the responsibility of other nations to fund any other coutries war machine. Ukraine isn't and wasn't a NATO member and never paid into NATO, it still baffles me why people think we have any sort of moral duty to give them our tax payers money and supply them with weapons. We are not the world Army or world police and certainly our taxpayes are not the world bank where you can just get free money from.

TBH a huge chunk of the money going to Ukraine is being squandered and stolen and many weapons that were send have been sold on the black market and ended up elsewhere. Not only that - The Biden admin has basically armed the Taliban and now they have night vision kit and state of the Art weapons, now god knows who has ended up with the weapons that were sent to Ukraine. If you think the world is now a safer place since US/NATO got involved with Ukraine - think again.

Reactions: profeten and ZeroFX

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
So much money spent on ukraine.... I get why countries donate money and weapons: If they let russia have ukraine who's to say they won't keep attacking other countries.
Still would have been better if no country sent anything since every dollar/euro sent was stolen or mismanaged. This conflict would have ended last year, instead contries use tax payer money to keep funding a war. (And I say this as a romanian, so it's not like I don't have any connection). All that money that could have been used in a better way and instead the governments kept the circus running. I say it wasn't worth it

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not the responsibility of other nations to fund any other coutries war machine. Ukraine isn't and wasn't a NATO member and never paid into NATO, it still baffles me why people think we have any sort of moral duty to give them our tax payers money and supply them with weapons. We are not the world Army or world police and certainly our taxpayes are not the world bank where you can just get free money from.
Translation: "I want worldwide dictatorship please and thank you." The vast majority of us are not this stupid, sorry. We have plenty of weapons and vehicles just lying around, the money was already spent on the military-industrial complex long ago and Republicans fully supported the spending at the time it happened.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: KingVamp

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Obviously, it would be much better if this war never happened. We can bicker about if it was started by Russia when they annexed Crimea, or it was brought on by Ukraine wanting to go into NATO. I'd rather not, as we're most definitely in the know for what has happened behind the scenes.

But to have Russia have their military depleted to the extent that they have to beg North Korea for weapons is pretty fun to see. The US military complex almost definitely sees that as a good investment.

Of course the darker side of that could be that Russia will start getting more desperate and resort to nukes.

Reactions: Xzi

profeten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

TBH a huge chunk of the money going to Ukraine is being squandered and stolen and many weapons that were send have been sold on the black market and ended up elsewhere. Not only that - The Biden admin has basically armed the Taliban and now they have night vision kit and state of the Art weapons, now god knows who has ended up with the weapons that were sent to Ukraine. If you think the world is now a safer place since US/NATO got involved with Ukraine - think again.
Help your own citizens first imo. If your government can’t take care of their own people why spend money on someone else’s

Reactions: mrdude

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
washington 01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum