Status
Not open for further replies.

'The Super Mario Bros. Movie' breaks U.S. box office records during its opening weekend

mario movie.JPG

The Super Mario Bros. Movie premiered a few days ago on April 5 and it has broken U.S. box office records over its opening weekend, even if it has received mixed reviews among critics. The animated movie based on the iconic Nintendo franchise has grossed $204.6 million in its first five days of screening across the U.S. and $173 million in international earnings. These numbers broke records for video game adaptations, and make the Mario movie the biggest opening of 2023 and the second biggest three-day domestic animated opening behind Finding Dory.

Have you seen he Super Mario Bros. Movie in theatres? If so, what did you think or it? And if not, will you be seeing it soon?

:arrow: SOURCE

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the movie was decent. I wish it wasn't so break-neck and had another 15-20 minutes to spend on developing the characters and relations to make the payoffs worth it, but it was a marvel to look at, the music was excellent (except for the 80's songs that didn't really need to be there), and had what I felt were good or great performances and writing across the board (except for Cranky). If I had to rate it out of 10, I'd give it a 7.5.

Reactions: Kioku

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed it for being a great and fun "Mario movie" with tons of references that would make people become the literal Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme. But as a "movie" on its own, I have my own criticisms on it:
The pacing is really fast paced once Mario reaches the Mushroom Kingdom. There's almost no breathing room since it switches to one thing to another so quickly. It felt like the movie needed another 10+ minutes or so. Perhaps add more screentime for Luigi, flesh out more on the adventurous Toad (who basically feels like he does practically nothing throughout the film except near the climax), and maybe a better bond moment with Mario and DK when they were inside that eel. I get that it's a kids movie so moving the scenes quickly from one thing to another would keep their attention a lot more and whatnot, but as a "film" by itself it sort of feels messy and inconsistent at times. Overall, I enjoyed it as a Mario fan and I think it's a must see for every fan out there, but as a standalone film for normies and the like who don't know much about the Mario series, it's sort of a bit difficult to heavily recommend watching.

Of course, I'll still watch their next sequels/spinoffs that they were teasing throughout the film and rumors. Like Peach's origins, mentions of other worlds/galaxies, the Yoshi egg in Brooklyn sewers teaser post-credit scene, rumors of DK spinoff, Charlie interested in a Luigi's Mansion movie, etc.

If I have to give it points, I'd give it a 9/10 as a fan of the series, but critically a 6/10 for a movie in general.

Last edited by NyaakoXD,

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@orangy57
Martinet is perfectly capable of saying more than two words in a row in Mario's voice and he doesn't sound bad.

martinet is great as mario but his performance would be too strong for an hour+ runtime. Even the craziest voices like toad and kamek were really subdued in the movie so that they weren't grating next to the rest of the celebrity cast. Even sitting through that video is kinda hard to follow because the voice and accent is so strong, it's really only made for one liners and YAHOOO noises. He'd have to talk at a whisper pitch to make it sound clear and understandable. It's been like 15 years and I still don't even know what mario says when you beat a level in NSMB DS

Reactions: RedColoredStars

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
martinet is great as mario but his performance would be too strong for an hour+ runtime. Even the craziest voices like toad and kamek were really subdued in the movie so that they weren't grating next to the rest of the celebrity cast. Even sitting through that video is kinda hard to follow because the voice and accent is so strong, it's really only made for one liners and YAHOOO noises. He'd have to talk at a whisper pitch to make it sound clear and understandable. It's been like 15 years and I still don't even know what mario says when you beat a level in NSMB DS
I thought Pratt as Mario throughout the film was fine. Not spectacular, just fine. They did ease in Pratt's Mario voice into the movie pretty cleverly.
They used the SMB plumbing commercial at the start and had the Mario Italian accent voice in it being played over as well and then eased in to Mario saying if the accent is too much after watching the commercial. It was actually an excellent transition that I kind of didn't mind Mario sounding like Pratt with a slight Brooklyn accent afterwards.

Reactions: orangy57 and Kioku

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie; biased though by watching with my two kids who have both grown up with Nintendo.

I love the humour, the Easter Eggs (including the less than subtle leitmotif in the soundtracks), plot and focus on Princess Peach as a hero and not a 'damsel in distress' character.

The epic Bowser-Peach piano ballads were awesome, Rainbow Road ruled and well,.... I can't think of a third thing!

Loved it!

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like people were quick to judge a film before it even had a trailer, SHOCKER-IT TURNED OUT GOOD

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Critic reviews are bad, audience reviews are overwhelmingly positive

This movie didn't set out to reinvent Mario and so critics don't like it - overall they don't like predictable

But this movie had to be predictable, and people love it for doing what we all wanted - put the Mario we know and love on the silver screen
I know. Why screw with something that already works? "I can make the Mona Lisa better by adding a mustache!"

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seen the movie, by other means. It's a 7/10. I enjoyed it, and it's pretty much everything I expected. It has a lot of Easter eggs and fan service, so of course critics would despise it.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm alone, but I actually think the original Mario Bros movie is kinda brilliant. I mean in terms of being a direct translation of the games, it's a huge failure, but appreciating that movie strictly for what it is, i think it's kinda great in a bizarre way. Certainly far too unique and interesting to put all Nintendo movies (Pokemon notwithstanding) on hiatus for 30 years.
that's where I'd have to respectfully agree to disagree. Back in the day, the 93 movie was a vibe. But good lord, it did not age well. And knowing about what a wreck it was behind the scenes, I don't blame Nintendo to have instilled a movie ban of their franchises for as long.

Pokemon gets an annual flick because Tajiri's ego would eclipse galaxies, so... that was going to happen whether Miyamoto likes it or not. Of course nobody ever seems to talk about how all the best pokemon movies are the ones
where Ash Ketchum (tajiri's self insert) is NOT in it. Because the guy seems obsessed with putting Ash front and center at all times.

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take it from a real gamer that grew up with Nintendo.
This is a great nostalgic adventure thrill ride movie, definitely worth seeing in the theater!

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only real complain about the movie was the use of songs from the 80s. It took me out of it every time.
If they wanted songs, they could have taken them straight from Mario, "Jump Up Superstar" or "Break Free" could have worked in that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7