Status
Not open for further replies.

'The Super Mario Bros. Movie' breaks U.S. box office records during its opening weekend

mario movie.JPG

The Super Mario Bros. Movie premiered a few days ago on April 5 and it has broken U.S. box office records over its opening weekend, even if it has received mixed reviews among critics. The animated movie based on the iconic Nintendo franchise has grossed $204.6 million in its first five days of screening across the U.S. and $173 million in international earnings. These numbers broke records for video game adaptations, and make the Mario movie the biggest opening of 2023 and the second biggest three-day domestic animated opening behind Finding Dory.

Have you seen he Super Mario Bros. Movie in theatres? If so, what did you think or it? And if not, will you be seeing it soon?

:arrow: SOURCE

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Coming up next: setting the record for biggest second-weekend dropoff?

I had no idea Finding Dory set any records; no one seems to remember that one much at all. But maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Still dont feel to attacted to watch it early. Is this only me?
Nah, the reviews seem mighty tepid.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No real surprise... Still dont feel to attacted to watch it early. Is this only me?

In a world with 8B people "Is it only me?" is most likely gonna be "no" for most questions not related to specifics of your upbringing.

I only watch movies after they are available online, official or piracy.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Critic reviews are bad, audience reviews are overwhelmingly positive

This movie didn't set out to reinvent Mario and so critics don't like it - overall they don't like predictable

But this movie had to be predictable, and people love it for doing what we all wanted - put the Mario we know and love on the silver screen

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@dh3lix-pooch
You're not the only one, I'm not interested in seeing it either, I think it's a movie that should have been made entirely by Japanese because it was made by another studio and specifically a western one, it was obvious that they were going to adapt it to their own culture and that's exactly what happened, besides, since they announced that Martinet would not be the voice of Mario, I didn't feel like watching it.

I doubt I'll ever see it but well....

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
@dh3lix-pooch
You're not the only one, I'm not interested in seeing it either, I think it's a movie that should have been made entirely by Japanese because it was made by another studio and specifically a western one, it was obvious that they were going to adapt it to their own culture and that's exactly what happened, besides, since they announced that Martinet would not be the voice of Mario, I didn't feel like watching it.

I doubt I'll ever see it but well....
I didn't watch the movie yet, what do you mean by western culture? Does the movie have some of the bullshit like women are strong men are useless shit or something like that?

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Lazyboss Let's say that Peach is so capable of defending herself that it makes no sense that Mario comes out, who at the beginning is put as a fool learning to be a hero, we are already seen in any current movie of the style made in Hollywood, but in my case it is more than that because even the humor is western.
Not that it's a bad thing but I would have preferred the Japanese approach.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
@Lazyboss Let's say that Peach is so capable of defending herself that it makes no sense that Mario comes out, who at the beginning is put as a fool learning to be a hero, we are already seen in any current movie of the style made in Hollywood, but in my case it is more than that because even the humor is western.
Not that it's a bad thing but I would have preferred the Japanese approach.
Oh no, they gave peach a purpose… how dare they! You ever play Super Mario RPG? Made by a Japanese development team?

I’d also wager that Miyamoto had heavy influence on what we saw in the movie. So, I doubt the west “influenced” much at all. If anything really… nevermind the fact that it’s more of an origin story instead of being already established like you can assume the games to be. They have to actually start somewhere, yeah?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
No real surprise... Still dont feel to attacted to watch it early. Is this only me?

It’s an Illumination film, so I’m not surprised by the results given the trailers and few responses I’ve seen (both critic and audience).

I’ll probably check it out when it’s on a subscription service I subscribe to.

The one thing I will give it though even without watching it, it’s closer in style to what I’d expect from a Mario film compared to the live action one, when I first saw the original as a kid on TV I was disappointed as I was expecting something closer to the cartoon (note: I went into it blind, my dad saying ‘The Super Mario Bros film is starting’).

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Saw it on opening day; overall thought it was fine. Fun in a lot of parts, but decided to speed run any semblance of real story or characters in favor of overwhelming you with Nintendo Easter eggs. It was fun, but I wanted more and genuinely prefer the 1993 live action film over this one.

Compared to how much I like the two Sonic movies, it seems that Sega still does what Nintendon't

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Kioku
Do me the favor of not treating me as a casual who only knows 1 Mario Bros game, I know what Peach is capable of in the saga, in fact in Paper Mario despite being kidnapped she helps Mario and company several times.
Something that the Japanese have is that they respect the work of other people, even though Miyamoto was a consultant does not mean that there are not things that he did not like because in the end it is the work of other people and out of respect he will not say anything.
Also the mood and tone of the movie is totally Hollywood, that's undeniable.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Kioku
Do me the favor of not treating me as a casual who only knows 1 Mario Bros game, I know what Peach is capable of in the saga, in fact in Paper Mario despite being kidnapped she helps Mario and company several times.
Something that the Japanese have is that they respect the work of other people, even though Miyamoto was a consultant does not mean that there are not things that he did not like because in the end it is the work of other people and out of respect he will not say anything.
Also the mood and tone of the movie is totally Hollywood, that's undeniable.
Gamergate, is that you?

• Haha
Reactions: Draxikor

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the movie yesterday w/ family and I will say it was def good for what it had to offer since I came in w/ little to no expectations. They catered to the fans of the games and there was plenty of "Easter" eggs in the film that def resonated w/ me... Happy Egg Day 😁

• Sad
Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Took the kids to watch this in IMAX 3D, like everyone who has seen it, it was a fun family movie. Nintendo played it safe, imagine trying to fit the Mario universe in a 90min movie? They catered for both young and old, since kids have a short attention spam, I think the speedrun aspect of it that people talk about is to keep those young ones entertained.

Overall, great family movie.

paulie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Critic reviews are bad, audience reviews are overwhelmingly positive

This movie didn't set out to reinvent Mario and so critics don't like it - overall they don't like predictable

But this movie had to be predictable, and people love it for doing what we all wanted - put the Mario we know and love on the silver screen
This is 100% correct I think.

Saw it opening day and me and the 6yo kid loved it very much.
Lack of real deep story is more than compensated by the action&humor and sheer amount of references/Easter eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse