Status
Not open for further replies.

'The Super Mario Bros. Movie' breaks U.S. box office records during its opening weekend

mario movie.JPG

The Super Mario Bros. Movie premiered a few days ago on April 5 and it has broken U.S. box office records over its opening weekend, even if it has received mixed reviews among critics. The animated movie based on the iconic Nintendo franchise has grossed $204.6 million in its first five days of screening across the U.S. and $173 million in international earnings. These numbers broke records for video game adaptations, and make the Mario movie the biggest opening of 2023 and the second biggest three-day domestic animated opening behind Finding Dory.

Have you seen he Super Mario Bros. Movie in theatres? If so, what did you think or it? And if not, will you be seeing it soon?

:arrow: SOURCE

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I saw the movie, and just like wreck-it-ralph 2, it felt very rushed and lacked much depth and character development. The pacing was just too quick, but had me laughing and smiling like 90% of the time.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

dekuleon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm that kind of person who isn't easy to please... for instance, I HATE Disney's SW (the only exception is Rogue One)...
BUT, I really loved this movie.
Got out of the cinema with a big smile.
Bowser is SOO funny!!

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Lazyboss Let's say that Peach is so capable of defending herself that it makes no sense that Mario comes out, who at the beginning is put as a fool learning to be a hero, we are already seen in any current movie of the style made in Hollywood, but in my case it is more than that because even the humor is western.
Not that it's a bad thing but I would have preferred the Japanese approach.
Peach is capable but still needs help. Both things don't counter each other.

It makes sense for a human that has lived in the mushrrom kingdom since being a baby to be better at jumping blocks than the adult human who has just entered the world.

Also if your haven't seen it, how do you know about "the humor is Western"? Trailers don't depict the full movie humor and feeling.

Reactions: Kioku

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, the reviews seem mighty tepid.
To be fair, that's only true of the critic reviews. General audiences are overwhelmingly positive for what that's worth. (I do tend to side more with the general audience scores than critic scores when it comes to movies).

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I saw the movie, and just like wreck-it-ralph 2, it felt very rushed and lacked much depth and character development. The pacing was just too quick, but had me laughing and smiling like 90% of the time.
Wreck it ralph 2. From the studio that thought gaming fans wanted popular internet culture in the second movie. Yeah.

Reactions: Kioku and Jayro

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compared to how much I like the two Sonic movies, it seems that Sega still does what Nintendon't
Are we considering the Sonic movies to be a high bar for video game movies? They're fine enough I suppose, but nothing special at all. We need our gaming movies to aim higher than that.

Reactions: RyRyIV

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Kioku
Do me the favor of not treating me as a casual who only knows 1 Mario Bros game, I know what Peach is capable of in the saga, in fact in Paper Mario despite being kidnapped she helps Mario and company several times.
Something that the Japanese have is that they respect the work of other people, even though Miyamoto was a consultant does not mean that there are not things that he did not like because in the end it is the work of other people and out of respect he will not say anything.
Also the mood and tone of the movie is totally Hollywood, that's undeniable.
Miyamoto wasn't just a consultant.

He was one of the movie PRODUCERS. He was into this movie more than anyone else. He set the story and direction of the plot basically. Any humor or whatever he didn't like, was CUT-OFF.

Producer(s)Chris Meledandri
Shigeru Miyamoto

beermonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We went as a family movie day. My wife loved it, my son was riveted and I sat with a stupid grin till the very end. Any movie that has us all randomly singing "Peaches" to each other is worthy entertainment in my book. We all got back and played Mario kart 8 together after. Brilliant day.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It’s an Illumination film, so I’m not surprised by the results given the trailers and few responses I’ve seen (both critic and audience).

I’ll probably check it out when it’s on a subscription service I subscribe to.

The one thing I will give it though even without watching it, it’s closer in style to what I’d expect from a Mario film compared to the live action one, when I first saw the original as a kid on TV I was disappointed as I was expecting something closer to the cartoon (note: I went into it blind, my dad saying ‘The Super Mario Bros film is starting’).
Illumination bad. Critics don't know anything else.

Reactions: Kioku

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Are we considering the Sonic movies to be a high bar for video game movies? They're fine enough I suppose, but nothing special at all. We need our gaming movies to aim higher than that.
While I agree that we need to aim higher, the bar has to be set somewhere. And with how horrible most video game adaptations have been historically, I tend to use Detective Pikachu and the Sonic movies as that bar. I wouldn't call it high, though. Just a bar of "enjoyable without too many faults."

And if I'm being totally honest, I mostly invoked the Sonic comparison just to make a good old "Nintendon't" joke.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I agree that we need to aim higher, the bar has to be set somewhere. And with how horrible most video game adaptations have been historically, I tend to use Detective Pikachu and the Sonic movies as that bar. I wouldn't call it high, though. Just a bar of "enjoyable without too many faults."

And if I'm being totally honest, I mostly invoked the Sonic comparison just to make a good old "Nintendon't" joke.
Well honestly I'd put the bar as low as the first Silent Hill movie. Nothing amazing, but a solid adaption and significantly better than those forgettable Sonic movies.

Reactions: beermonkey

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well of course it did. Box office does not consider inflation in their numbers (or *nobody* would beat Gone with the Wind).

Most everyone now was either going to see Jack Black carry Mario the same way Jim Carrey carried Sonic, or going to see what an absolute train wreck it is to meme on and get Nintendo to elect another 30 year ban on making movies.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well of course it did. Box office does not consider inflation in their numbers (or *nobody* would beat Gone with the Wind).

Most everyone now was either going to see Jack Black carry Mario the same way Jim Carrey carried Sonic, or going to see what an absolute train wreck it is to meme on and get Nintendo to elect another 30 year ban on making movies.
Maybe I'm alone, but I actually think the original Mario Bros movie is kinda brilliant. I mean in terms of being a direct translation of the games, it's a huge failure, but appreciating that movie strictly for what it is, i think it's kinda great in a bizarre way. Certainly far too unique and interesting to put all Nintendo movies (Pokemon notwithstanding) on hiatus for 30 years.

izzeling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to see it on a whim this morning. I liked it! It definitely pays homage to Mario’s roots. I liked seeing Mario and Luigi as normal people in the beginning. There were some funny moments, the funniest from Lumalee. I think I laughed at every single one of Lumalee’s lines.

Overall good movie, definitely leaves the door open for more movies wether it is specifically Mario related or possibly a different franchise that was featured.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was cute, nothing groundbreaking at all but the voice cast was awesome!!! jack black, seth rogen, charlie day, keegan-michael key, anya taylor joy, i think fred armisen was cranky kong and idk who played Kamek but they were all perfect celebrity picks for the characters. You can really tell that some of the characters were modeled with their VAs in mind.

Even chris pratt did a pretty good job, the "wahoo yippie" charles martinet voice wouldn't really work for the whole movie IMO

honestly i don't think they'll make a sequel or turn this into a series either but that's totally fine. it's not really necessary, the movie manages to fit all of the mario essence and games into a really tight package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome...