• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The situation in Ukraine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I have followed Darya Dugina's assassination, and I have an observation that isn't really important in the scheme of things, but it's something I doubt will be much mentioned. Alexander Dugin was probably the intended target, because he was going to board the blown car and traded positions with his daughter in the last minute. Dugin is a political theorist whose ideas align with the russian government's, but he isn't directly connected to the government. Dugina was a journalist and political commentator, a media figure who appeared on russian television to analyse the Ukraine invasion. Yet, the news titles don't say "Darya Dugina killed", they say "Daughter of Alexander Dugin" or "Daughter of Russian ideologue", like he's some known entity for the western public or she didn't have a personal existence of her own.
She had it coming. She was a heavy supporter of the Russian invasion

Reactions: Dark_Ansem and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sure. As soon as the UK retakes the US. Mexico has a better shot at New Mexico.
Are you seriously still pretending like modern Russia is one of the all-time great military powers while they're rolling rusted-out tanks from the 1940s onto the front lines? They're even desperate enough to ask North Korea for help, FFS.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Are you seriously still pretending like modern Russia is one of the all-time great military powers while they're rolling rusted-out tanks from the 1940s onto the front lines? They're even desperate enough to ask North Korea for help, FFS.
In this conflict of two, only one side has the power to escalate. They would throw a FOAB (father of all bombs) on Kiev before giving up Crimea. The seizure of Crimea was the main reason for Russian involvement in the first place. After the Crimean Wars, Russia was not going to allow Western battle ships over there.

If I had tanks from 1940s, I would use them now. I hope you are referring to the Russian military, not Donbass militia who went to war memorial and re-used their grand-fathers tanks. This is not something to ridicule. It is poetic (if the story is true).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In this conflict of two, only one side has the power to escalate. They would throw a FOAB (father of all bombs) on Kiev before giving up Crimea.
If they had the power to escalate, they would've done it months ago, as the inability to occupy any portion of Ukraine for more than a couple days is a massive embarrassment for the Kremlin. Using nukes is not an option, as that would trigger open season on Russia for the rest of the world. Mutually assured destruction holds.

If I had tanks from 1940s, I would use them now.
LMAO as if they have a choice. All their newer vehicles and equipment have already been thoroughly decimated, except for maybe a third of their air force.

Reactions: UnderJinx

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In this conflict of two, only one side has the power to escalate. They would throw a FOAB (father of all bombs) on Kiev before giving up Crimea. The seizure of Crimea was the main reason for Russian involvement in the first place. After the Crimean Wars, Russia was not going to allow Western battle ships over there.
That's ok, if we want to switch to Fallout world.
Also, seizure of Crimea? Crimea is part of Ukraine, not Russia.

Reactions: UnderJinx and Xzi

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's ok, if we want to switch to Fallout world.
Also, seizure of Crimea? Crimea is part of Ukraine, not Russia.

Russia invaded Ukraine and Crimea was part of Ukraine... but Crimea is hard to judge as to whom it belongs culturally, it has been part of so many countries over the last 500 years, and has only been part of Ukraine from 1991 forwards. Most of these years it belonged to Russia, though. I remember a Chekhov story set in Crimea, if my memory doesn't fail me.

P.S.: I should clarify that, in my view, the russian invasion of Crimea is wrong, and the territory is part of Ukraine.

Last edited by Dark_Phoras,
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
If they had the power to escalate, they would've done it months ago, as the inability to occupy any portion of Ukraine for more than a couple days is a massive embarrassment for the Kremlin. Using nukes is not an option, as that would trigger open season on Russia for the rest of the world. Mutually assured destruction holds.

LMAO as if they have a choice. All their newer vehicles and equipment have already been thoroughly decimated, except for maybe a third of their air force.
-They haven´t declared war or implemented a general draft.
-Any portion? They are holding 1/5 of the country.
-A MOAB/FOAB isn´t nuclear.

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem and Xzi

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Interesting to see "anti-government" """libertarians""" come out in support of Russian imperialism because "W-Well Ukraine used to belong to them!"

lol, lmao even.
I´m not against government or a libertarian. Not sure whether you meant ((( ))) instead of your """ """.
I´m for ending the war because I actually feel sorry for Russians killing each other. And yes, Ukrainians are (the real) Russians according to Zelensky.

One way or the other, Ukraine will be neutral. We could have had this result in early 2022, with thousands of lives saved, countless cities still standing, millions not displaced and the world economy not suffering an additional blow. The West (esp. UK/USA) chose otherwise, because that´s just how much they enjoy seeing Russians suffer. Disgusting.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I´m not against government or a libertarian. Not sure whether you meant ((( ))) instead of your """ """.
I´m for ending the war because I actually feel sorry for Russians killing each other. And yes, Ukrainians are (the real) Russians according to Zelensky.

One way or the other, Ukraine will be neutral. We could have had this result in early 2022, with thousands of lives saved, countless cities still standing, millions not displaced and the world economy not suffering an additional blow. The West (esp. UK/USA) chose otherwise, because that´s just how much they enjoy seeing Russians suffer. Disgusting.
People aren't against the Russian people, There against there president.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
-They haven´t declared war or implemented a general draft.
Losses mount whether or not they admit to being at war. And a draft would be an admission to his people that Putin is losing. All he has left is his "strongman" false persona.

-Any portion? They are holding 1/5 of the country.
All of which is contested territory that changes hands almost daily.

-A MOAB/FOAB isn´t nuclear.
They've already been dropping everything short of nukes, it's not making a difference.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait a couple of days..... and they would commit """Suicide"""
Just the fact that such resistance movements exist inside of Russia and are becoming more active further demonstrates a turning tide. There will always be those who find their way to the truth through all the pro-imperialist propaganda.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just the fact that such resistance movements exist inside of Russia and are becoming more active further demonstrates a turning tide. There will always be those who find their way to the truth through all the pro-imperialist propaganda.
It's honestly quite exciting. Would love to see the dismantlement of imperialism worldwide.

Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Russia ain’t sh*t. I don’t know why people are scared of the giant on clay legs. As a quick reminder, the invasion of Iraq took 1 month, 1 week and 4 days. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine began on February 24th, it’s been nearly 6 months, and Russian forces were supposed to be overwhelmingly stronger than the Ukrainian defenders. Dudes are driving cardboard tanks, it’s laughable. There’s been a “Russian parade” in Kiev recently - a parade of their broken armor, as Ukrainians pointed and laughed.

Given the amount of time that’s passed, they should’ve conquered the country 10 times over at this point, nobody expected this conflict to last longer than a week or two. This just confirms what I’ve been saying for a very, very long time - Russia’s more bark than bite and not worth anyone’s attention, the real danger lies further in the east. They’ve got old tech, no money and no strategy.

Reactions: Xzi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts