The Nintendo Switch celebrates its second anniversary

switch_second_birthday_nintendo.jpeg

On March 3, 2017, the Nintendo Switch made its worldwide debut, instantly becoming a hit. Fans new and old alike could enjoy what the Switch had to offer, especially due to the fact that one of the launch titles was the highly anticipated The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Other titles were available as well, such as the co-op focused Snipperclips, a beloved indie in the form of Shovel Knight, and the somewhat gimmicky 1-2 Switch. For those that wanted something more, a sequel to Splatoon, a port of Mario Kart 8, the unexpected Fire Emblem Warriors, a weird crossover that was Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, the new competitive IP Arms, and dozens of other games were all slated to release in the coming months.

Within the console's first year on the market, it had sold over 10 million units, and would go on to surpass its predecessor, the Wii U, quite handily. The first anniversary of the Switch arrived quickly, with our recap from last year going into full detail of the system's initial year on the market.

As of today, March 3, 2019, we've reached the second anniversary of the Nintendo Switch. A lot has changed in the past year, with a multitude of surprise reveals, tons of new successes, and lots of sales. And I mean a lot. Shortly after the celebration of the Nintendo Switch's first anniversary, Nintendo made a bold claim, stating that they expected to sell 20 million more Switch consoles within the coming fiscal year. Analysts and industry experts were skeptical of such a projection, but the company was more than confident that they could pull it off, with both Nintendo JP president Shuntaro Furukawa and NOA CEO Reggie Fils-Aime expecting stellar performance from the Switch. Although we won't know the exact results until the fiscal year comes to a close at the end of this month, Nintendo recently dialed back its target to a lower number of 17 million units shifted.

Though it's unlikely that Nintendo will reach that 20 million mark, having gotten so close is nothing short of impressive, and it goes to show just how successful the Switch was throughout 2018. Currently, the Nintendo Switch has sold a whopping 32.27 million units, already having outsold the Nintendo Wii U, the GameCube, and soon enough, it'll even surpass the sales of the Nintendo 64.

nintendoconsoles.jpg

Of course, people are buying the console for a reason, and that reason tends to be the large lineup of available games. 2018 saw the release of a bevvy of exclusives, such as Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis Aces, Pokemon Let's Go, Octopath Traveler, Kirby Star Allies, and of course, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Multiplatform games also made their way to the Switch in droves, with both indie and AAA developers benefiting from high software sales by releasing their games for the platform. This past year has certainly proved that the Switch is a juggernaut, and exactly what Nintendo needed.

However, despite the popularity and success, not everything was perfect. The controversial Nintendo Switch Online service launched last year, with many of its users being skeptical, unimpressed, and disappointed. Though we find ourselves in 2019, Nintendo still lags behind the competition in terms of online infrastructure, and that can be off-putting to those who want to use the service.

As the second year of the Switch comes to a close, we turn our heads to look towards the future. New hardware rumors are still rampant; will we perhaps see a newer, improved version of Nintendo's hybrid console by the time its third anniversary rolls around? How will the Nintendo Switch Online service have changed by this same time next year? We also have many more new games to look forward to, such as Animal Crossing, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, the Link's Awakening remake, Daemon X Machina, Yoshi's Crafted World, and so much more. After these past two years, what are your thoughts on the Nintendo Switch, and what upcoming things are you excited for?

Review Retrospective

:arrow: Kirby Star Allies - 7/10
:arrow: Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - 8.2/10
:arrow: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 8.5/10
:arrow: Mario Tennis Aces - 8.5/10
:arrow: Octopath Traveler - 9/10
:arrow: Super Mario Party - 8.2/10
:arrow: The World Ends With You: Final Remix - 9.3/10
:arrow: Pokemon: Let's Go - 8.2/10
:arrow: Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - 9.7/10
:arrow: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 9/10

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can get behind all the Switch bashing in this thread. I bought a Switch to hack about a year ago and it's still sitting there waiting for games I want to play. It's kinda sad in a way that the Wii U is pretty much going to be Nintendo's last true home console system.

Oh well at least they went out with a bang just like SEGA and the Dreamcast.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I can get behind all the Switch bashing in this thread. I bought a Switch to hack about a year ago and it's still sitting there waiting for games I want to play. It's kinda sad in a way that the Wii U is pretty much going to be Nintendo's last true home console system.

Oh well at least they went out with a bang just like SEGA and the Dreamcast.
SEGA ended any sort of console production with the Dreamcast. Nintendo hasn't stopped or made any plans to not produce anymore going forward. Not a good comparison. The Switch, honestly, is what the Wii U should have been. Of course, for some reason, Nintendo isn't adding a proper VC collection this time around. So the Wii U wins there.. But that's about it.

Frankbel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you don't play games in portable mode, the Switch really is just an inferior Wii U. The graphics are basically the same. The Wii U had, up until recently, a better game selection. The ability to use your existing Wii accessories was huge if you had special accessories you liked, and being able to play Wii games and homebrew was also awesome. Free online and virtual console support (including DS!) too. For the few games that used it properly, the two screen setup allowed by the tablet controller was really innovative and fun.

I've since re-bought my accessories and several Wii U games, but I really miss having multiple screens for Hyrule Warriors co-op and using Wiimote+nunchuck for Mario Kart. Other than having newer games the Switch really is a step down, for me at least since I only use it docked. Portable mode could be important for some folks, but for me, the 3DS is so much easier to transport, and I have a massive backlog of games that can't be played on a TV at all outside of Citra.

Marketing really is what matters most though. Most people don't care what the products they buy can do, or how much they cost, they just care if it's trendy.
Which accessories have you bought for the WiiU? From my point of view, Switch is a portable WiiU without a bulky system unit and which can play far from the TV, finally. Furthermore, in TV mode, you have a less bulky gamepad. Switch is just what WiiU should have been.

I don't see which useful application had the double screen. Despite having a pair of eyes, no one can watch two different screens at the same time, and it was never useful in any game. Starfox is a clear example of game literaly unplayable because of a forced simultaneous use of both screens. Dual screen is useless rubbish and finally Nintendo has realized that we don't need it.
Regarding the DS, the dual screen is a workaround for having a larger screen. It's just a larger screen with a junction separating the two parts.

About marketing, I agree, but WiiU remains a shitty piece of hardware.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I still don't understand the appeal of this console, why is it selling so well? It is just a tablet with okay graphics and multiplayer, no? Is it merely the software released that has people buying it?
Two reasons: it's the most powerful portable/hybrid console that's ever been on the market, and the exclusives. Both of these things give Switch a use case that the other consoles and PC don't have. The marketing has also been infinitely more successful than WiiU's marketing.

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't understand the appeal of this console, why is it selling so well? It is just a tablet with okay graphics and multiplayer, no? Is it merely the software released that has people buying it?
For that $300 price, you get the best bang of your buck without the system being more bulky, battery godsucker or basically melts in your hands due to overheating. Best price for that form factor. And hybrid phenomenon, it's just works. Also those Nintendo games even with their evergreen prices.

Them doing that only helped the indies at the end though. You can't find any of their titles competing directly for the same $15 on the e-shop. Checking other places you can see Dragon Age Inquisitions for $15 while Hollow Knight priced around $10. Truly the Switch is an indie haven just for that matter alone.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll chime in and use this smiley for the occasion: :yayswitch: :yayswitch:

Congratulations, nintendo. 2 years in and you've sold twice or even three times as many console/handhelds as I initially predicted would sell in its entire lifespan. I was wrong, but I'm very happy to be wrong on these kinds of predictions. :D

Money's rather tight on my end right now*. I'll get one somewhere down the line. Hopefully when an XL version is available...might be when link's awakening arrives. Who knows... :)

*okay, okay: I admit it...it's not really true. I'm reserving my spare money for board games.

Reactions: JavaScribe

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Happy birthday Switch !
I play it every single day. There are so many games... I don't think I'll be able to complete them all before the next console releases :D

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
5 Games in all, where is the rest? what is more for you? all the Wii U Ports or Indie games?
erf... I just don't have more exemple in mind right now
But there are still tons to come soon as well...

Super Mario Party is another exemple

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1