The Nintendo PlayStation's CD drive is now functional

It's been while since the Nintendo PlayStation was discovered, and while it could boot Super Nintendo cartridges perfectly fine, no one was able to get the system's CD drive to work. After messing with the console for months, the man in charge of trying to get the CD drive to function, Ben Heck, said that after simply moving some cables around, he was able to get the Nintendo PlayStation to read discs. Of course, there's no known software for the prototype console, but audio CDs loaded up. Ben Heck then attempted to burn discs of two homebrew games, which were created after a BIOS for the system was leaked online, about a year ago. Super Boss Gaiden, and Magic Floor were tested, with the former resulting in an error, and the latter astonishingly working on the console, with only minor graphical errors. At the end of the video, Heck muses that he should lend the Nintendo PlayStation to an emulator developer, so that programmers can learn more about how the system works. However, he will soon be displaying the console at the Midwest Gaming Expo, where it will be returned to its initial owner, Terry Diebold.

SKGleba

O ja pierdole!
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Awww about a year ago i trashed something just like this (cartridge and cd-rom) because i found it in basement and there werent any cable or joystick.I remember that there was a small funny lcd which blinked when i plugged it with universal adapter. My cousin told me that he received it from a friend japan but next he bought a gamecube and give me this as a "japanshttt" and it maybe was this........

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awww about a year ago i trashed something just like this (cartridge and cd-rom) because i found it in basement and there werent any cable or joystick.I remember that there was a small funny lcd which blinked when i plugged it with universal adapter. My cousin told me that he received it from a friend japan but next he bought a gamecube and give me this as a "japanshttt" and it maybe was this........
That sounds like a Sega Multi-Mega, aka CDX in the US and Linguaphone Education Gear in Japan.

It's too bad you threw it out, because AFAIK the boot ROM from the Japanese version hasn't been dumped yet.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What parts of it have "holes"? The BIOS cartridge was dumped and appears to be legitimate, and as the post says, a homebrew game developed based on the BIOS dump mostly works.
from the start the guys just showing it up " I just found this on the wardrobe, no cables, a cart with a sticker and this is all, bye"
first he controller slot yellowish is like there where controllers inserted/ the console was in use, unusual if it was lost in a wardrobe, why the rest looks new and not yellowed as well?
second, there are like 2 audio and video out, like a DVD and like a snes, both are easy to get on USA to test, also the SNES DC energy cable (also there are a second DC in!! )so why they first went to a "known professional " before testing out simple stuff?
while the video about it being "operated" (Xray a console before opening? there nota simple eletronic doc here guys o-o) the cart was forgotten, and this was the thing easiest to see out about : get a snes, break the stupid region locks (or use an adapter), turn it on and see what happens! get these stuff to dump roms and give it the world fast as you can since it an great found!!! oh we have it working? let's play bomberman and keep this cart forgotten (does they showed it again anyway? )
broken cd drive? really? the system that never had a day-to-day use or suffered an devil kid's hand playing with them was just dead? and now "messing some cables" made it work?
the controllers, some photos shows one with gray cable, others with black cable... there wasn't just one controller there ???
there where more but I forgot lol
about the system itself ... wasn't this being developed in USA? so why are the pattern japanese? the nice coloured buttons and cart slot?
If was to be japanese, why the bios/system are mostly in English them? where are the rest of the 200 prototypes made? official confirmation from sony or nintendo?

Last edited by Sliter,

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
from the start the guys just showing it up " I just found this on the wardrobe, no cables, a cart with a sticker and this is all, bye"
first he controller slot yellowish is like there where controllers inserted/ the console was in use, unusual if it was lost in a wardrobe, why the rest looks new and not yellowed as well?
second, there are like 2 audio and video out, like a DVD and like a snes, both are easy to get on USA to test, also the SNES DC energy cable (also there are a second DC in!! )so why they first went to a "known professional " before testing out simple stuff?
while the video about it being "operated" (Xray a console before opening? there nota simple eletronic doc here guys o-o) the cart was forgotten, and this was the thing easiest to see out about : get a snes, break the stupid region locks (or use an adapter), turn it on and see what happens! get these stuff to dump roms and give it the world fast as you can since it an great found!!! oh we have it working? let's play bomberman and keep this cart forgotten (does they showed it again anyway? )
broken cd drive? really? the system that never had a day-to-day use or suffered an devil kid's hand playing with them was just dead? and now "messing some cables" made it work?
the controllers, some photos shows one with gay cable, others with black cable... there wasn't just one controller there ???
about the system itself ... wasn't this being developed in USA? so why are the pattern japanese? the nice colored buttons and cart slot?
If was to be japanese, why the bios/systen are in English them? where are the rest of the 200 prototypes made? official confirmation from sony or nintendo?
what the hell are you talking about?

The Nintendo PlayStation is very real lol.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
what the hell are you talking about?

The Nintendo PlayStation is very real lol.
about the story I know, I mean THIS VERY ONE
even if this one is not a hoax, why they showed it all in that all "dumb" way? :/
I mean, everything showed in videos like " here we called our friend to make this and we can see this"
I bet a game fan with something like this gonna make like a treatd here " GUYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND" and showing slowly the progress by photos and videos time in time also posting in YT, etc ... not delaying some time and a lot of info at time ...like episodes of a tv show? :v maybe this is why this seems too fake for me lol

Last edited by Sliter,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two AV outs makes it fake? I guess that makes all DOL-001 GameCubes fake. (This is a *prototype*. The RCA outputs were probably added by Sony for "higher quality", much like the earlier PSX models.)
Yellowing is known to happen even if it's kept in a dark room, and it doesn't necessarily affect all parts. It depends on how the individual plastic component was designed. Again, since this is a prototype, it was likely molded by hand or milled instead of injection molding.

EDIT: The DC In jack on the PlayStation prototype is an EIAJ 7.6V, positive tip. That does NOT match the US SNES input (10V, barrel connector with a pin in the middle). It also doesn't match the PAL SNES input, which is the same as the NES one. (9V AC)
Because when working on a one-of-a-kind prototype, you definitely want to jump right in with screwdrivers instead of treating it with care.
Intentionally broken CD drive caused by the specific placement of jumper wires on the board. Possibly done so the original employee could "keep" it but without exposing the CD functionality?
the controllers, some photos shows one with gray cable, others with black cable... there wasn't just one controller there ???
about the system itself ... wasn't this being developed in USA? so why are the pattern japanese? the nice coloured buttons and cart slot?
If was to be japanese, why the bios/system are mostly in English them? where are the rest of the 200 prototypes made? official confirmation from sony or nintendo?
Branding isn't important for an in-house prototype. There are plenty of Cross Products Mega CD devkits with mismatched USA, PAL, and JPN branding, for example. (Incidentally, if you disassemble a US SNES controller, you'll see markings with the PAL/JPN button colors.)
None of this other stuff you mentioned has any relevance, other than wanting to seem important by calling BS on something that's been proven to be real.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +linebreak

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
and people still ask me why I keep the idea that it's a hoax ...
...Or that they are very dumb, if this is really real xp

Huh?
Of course it is real, there is literally no doubt about it.

That sounds like a conspiracy theory.
Has Nintendo really been to the moon?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Two AV outs makes it fake? I guess that makes all DOL-001 GameCubes fake. (This is a *prototype*. The RCA outputs were probably added by Sony for "higher quality", much like the earlier PSX models.)
I think it's fake because they could not simple test it, had first to go to a " electronics doctor" :B

Yellowing is known to happen even if it's kept in a dark room, and it doesn't necessarily affect all parts. It depends on how the individual plastic component was designed. Again, since this is a prototype, it was likely molded by hand or milled instead of injection molding.
more strange is near the controller slot after all...

Because when working on a one-of-a-kind prototype, you definitely want to jump right in with screwdrivers instead of treating it with care.
how does an Xray helps? having to see all stuff together in a layer?you can disassemble it with care... this looked for me much like " technology to make stuff looks legit for who don't know how work", like in movies :v
Intentionally broken CD drive caused by the specific placement of jumper wires on the board. Possibly done so the original employee could "keep" it but without exposing the CD functionality?
I think " keeping" it to strat wasn't something he asked for or hey would just let him...
-Oh right, you can take or one of a kind prototype home but first let we stop the CD driver, but take the cd boot cart anyway, and you still can play Japanese games, and also, no wires for you. ... really?
How they don't saw this before? they couldn't have noticed it on the Xray? :B
(Incidentally, if you disassemble a US SNES controller, you'll see markings with the PAL/JPN button colors.)
funny that these days I had a discussion with some friends about these button colors, we saw that inside show both color button and purple ones placements, looks like SNES (US and eur) had only one mold for them? Idk how is the SFC's inside...

but anyway I noticed better re watching a bit some videos ... not only being septic about the way it was first shown, but every new about it is show more like an TV episode of something, and it since start.... it's not shown like gamers would do it, not even how a youtuber(gamer or nostalgic stuff he don't understand about, others kinds of, idk) would do it...

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@Sliter

CDJrYVQSUoIAo.gif

Its time to stop trolling

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Huh?
Of course it is real, there is literally no doubt about it.

That sounds like a conspiracy theory.
Has Nintendo really been to the moon?
Not that I don't believe about the prototype or the history about it lol
But how all this is being shown, how it was first shown! It don't looks true, you know? maybe I'm wrong about this console being a hoax, but maybe how they are showing it was all planned? I don't looks any spontaneous, let me say XD

@Sliter

CDJrYVQSUoIAo.gif

Its time to stop trolling
I've got blind .... x_x

lol
come on I'm not trolling, I'm really sceptical and the way they showed it don't help me... the first thing to be done for anyone would test the "msterious cart" in any common snes, seond would be getting the cables and try to turn it on, to test a game don't even need a japanese game, just disassemble an US game and use the chip, or with the console out of the housing.... too many obvious tto be done to test before even X RAYING THE DANM THING....

oh well.... x_x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over