The Nintendo PlayStation's CD drive is now functional

It's been while since the Nintendo PlayStation was discovered, and while it could boot Super Nintendo cartridges perfectly fine, no one was able to get the system's CD drive to work. After messing with the console for months, the man in charge of trying to get the CD drive to function, Ben Heck, said that after simply moving some cables around, he was able to get the Nintendo PlayStation to read discs. Of course, there's no known software for the prototype console, but audio CDs loaded up. Ben Heck then attempted to burn discs of two homebrew games, which were created after a BIOS for the system was leaked online, about a year ago. Super Boss Gaiden, and Magic Floor were tested, with the former resulting in an error, and the latter astonishingly working on the console, with only minor graphical errors. At the end of the video, Heck muses that he should lend the Nintendo PlayStation to an emulator developer, so that programmers can learn more about how the system works. However, he will soon be displaying the console at the Midwest Gaming Expo, where it will be returned to its initial owner, Terry Diebold.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not that I don't believe about the prototype or the history about it lol
But how all this is being shown, how it was first shown! It don't looks true, you know? maybe I'm wrong about this console being a hoax, but maybe how they are showing it was all planned? I don't looks any spontaneous, let me say XD

I've got blind .... x_x

lol
come on I'm not trolling, I'm really sceptical and the way they showed it don't help me... the first thing to be done for anyone would test the "msterious cart" in any common snes, seond would be getting the cables and try to turn it on, to test a game don't even need a japanese game, just disassemble an US game and use the chip, or with the console out of the housing.... too many obvious tto be done to test before even X RAYING THE DANM THING....

oh well.... x_x

I don't see anything wrong with it.
The story has been explained in great detail and it took us over a year to get to this point.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would laugh if someone made a game for it on Kickstarter or something.

Would be stupid seeing as how there is only one confirmed unit out there.

Reactions: Chary

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I don't believe about the prototype or the history about it lol
But how all this is being shown, how it was first shown! It don't looks true, you know? maybe I'm wrong about this console being a hoax, but maybe how they are showing it was all planned? I don't looks any spontaneous, let me say XD

I've got blind .... x_x

lol
come on I'm not trolling, I'm really sceptical and the way they showed it don't help me... the first thing to be done for anyone would test the "msterious cart" in any common snes, seond would be getting the cables and try to turn it on, to test a game don't even need a japanese game, just disassemble an US game and use the chip, or with the console out of the housing.... too many obvious tto be done to test before even X RAYING THE DANM THING....

oh well.... x_x

Yeah, if I found a console i had never seen before that might be a one of a kind, first thing I would do is try to jam random cartridges in it and random power cables to get it running, then if it didn't work, I'd get a rusty, ill-fitted screwdriver to open it. If that didn't work, I'd just use a kitchen knife and a hammer to pry it open by force. If it still didnt work, I'd use jumper cables to hook it up to a car battery for power source. I mean... It's just some shitty unknown plastic thing, right. Why handle with care and research things? YOLO

/s

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, if I found a console i had never seen before that might be a one of a kind, first thing I would do is try to jam random cartridges in it and random power cables to get it running, then if it didn't work, I'd get a rusty, ill-fitted screwdriver to open it. If that didn't work, I'd just use a kitchen knife and a hammer to pry it open by force. If it still didnt work, I'd use jumper cables to hook it up to a car battery for power source. I mean... It's just some shitty unknown plastic thing, right. Why handle with care and research things? YOLO

/s
well this sound as stupid like X-raying a console before opening by someone that live by opening electronics ...

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sliter I'm not understanding your insistence that x-raying and researching BEFORE cracking the thing open is a stupid idea, hence my previous post. Note the "/s"

Also, WE NEED A POLL NAO!!!!!!
Should the official name be:

1. Playtendo ?
2. Nintsation ?
3. PSNX ?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
because this is stupid! you never opened an old eletronic ? everything on the age of N64 (maybe even the GC?) is too simple to take part that they used uncommon screws to try avoid that any people just open the thing up, if you think a guy can damage a SNES(or relative) by simples opening it with a screwdriver? maybe if you ask Hulk to do that , but not someone that live by opening eletronics ...
really looks like thes eguys made all a show (lol) to show it ... too many unnecessary things idk

sblur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
However, he will soon be displaying the console at the Midwest Gaming Expo, where it will be returned to its initial owner, Terry Diebold.
MGC was April 8th, this already happened. The episode was filmed in March.

They had the console in a glass case right outside the gaming history room with old computers & consoles at the event, and a panel about it that Sunday. Didn't see the panel because I went Saturday, so this is the first I've heard that they got the drive working. Did see Ben Heck there in his little room, but walked out right away. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Chary

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's pretty cool. Though it seems like it was just a fluke, who knows how long it'll keep working.
It would be so awesome if a prototype was discovered of an unreleased game, or an early prototype of a game that was later ported (or even remade) to another console. If any even still exist out there.
But this device wasn't meant to exist, and yet it does, so there's a decent chance there are prototypes for it laying around somewhere, waiting to be discovered.

dude22072

Trophies
Website
dude22072.com
XP
Country
United States
second, there are like 2 audio and video out, like a DVD and like a snes, both are easy to get on USA to test, also the SNES DC energy cable (also there are a second DC in!! )so why they first went to a "known professional " before testing out simple stuff?
You've obviously not watched any of the videos. The guy that brought it to Ben clearly states he had been playing SNES games on it but the audio stopped working at some point. (Which ben ends up fixing by replacing some broken capacitors)

let's play bomberman and keep this cart forgotten (does they showed it again anyway? )
Again, how about you watch the videos before attempting to formulate comments or opinions about the matter at hand.

lIf was to be japanese, why the bios/system are mostly in English them?
It's not like there are special programming languages for Japanese development, programming languages are all in English.
And, again, watch the videos. There are several things in Japanese.
Furthermore, the Famicom Disk System, an official Nintendo system only ever released in japan, is entirely in English.

And, finally, it's not like Ben Heck is some random dude who showed up outta no where and was like "This dude found the Nintendo Playstaion zomfg!!! Imma fix it!", He's been doing this whole hardware engineering stuff for YEARS at this point, he even makes console development hardware. He's very established in the electronics world.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And, finally, it's not like Ben Heck is some random dude who showed up outta no where and was like "This dude found the Nintendo Playstaion zomfg!!! Imma fix it!", He's been doing this whole hardware engineering stuff for YEARS at this point, he even makes console development hardware. He's very established in the electronics world.
I got some stuff together since last post and other was miss expressed :/ I believe in te hardware now (I haven't on the start because how derp it looked " I have this snes cart here but i'm not going to test in a snes or translate what it says in japanese here " GOD DANM IT WAS THE BASIC EVERYONE MUST DO, RIGHT?
but still .. the guy that fix it made more sense nor but how stuff are being show there ... still look so much " planned" not " how we found a rare hardware and we are making it alive".. looks like they knew it was there and " wow let's make episodes about it and be famous" , showing bit at bit, showing people to be know for a reason ...but triyng to make it look like "random dude's adventures with his rare system!" it taste really strange :/ this is whylooked so fake for me

And now I gave you your internet number 111!

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because this is stupid! you never opened an old eletronic ? everything on the age of N64 (maybe even the GC?) is too simple to take part that they used uncommon screws to try avoid that any people just open the thing up, if you think a guy can damage a SNES(or relative) by simples opening it with a screwdriver? maybe if you ask Hulk to do that , but not someone that live by opening eletronics ...
really looks like thes eguys made all a show (lol) to show it ... too many unnecessary things idk

... until you tear an irreplaceable ribbon cable you didn't know was there. Are you just wanting to hear yourself talk or something.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
... until you tear an irreplaceable ribbon cable you didn't know was there. Are you just wanting to hear yourself talk or something.
ibbon Cable
in a console of the time that Cds where being to get common and yet not that accessible to the people (like being able to burn your own discs at home)
yeah right... maybe on the CD driver but yet :/

I mean .. GB had ribbon cables on screen, ok, but if a hardware developer don't know how to Mcguiver some broken trails or open something carefull to not destroy...

dude22072

Trophies
Website
dude22072.com
XP
Country
United States
but still .. the guy that fix it made more sense nor but how stuff are being show there ... still look so much " planned" not " how we found a rare hardware and we are making it alive".. looks like they knew it was there and " wow let's make episodes about it and be famous" , showing bit at bit, showing people to be know for a reason ...but triyng to make it look like "random dude's adventures with his rare system!" it taste really strange :/ this is whylooked so fake for me
I mean, he is making a show, "The Ben Heck Show", of course what is shown is planned out and not absolutely everything that happens. During the year he livestreamed working on it several times (I don't know why no one kept the videos).

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I mean, he is making a show, "The Ben Heck Show", of course what is shown is planned out and not absolutely everything that happens. During the year he livestreamed working on it several times (I don't know why no one kept the videos).
yeah but I mean, the part that " I found this things" looked very fake .. if he just have gotten the console and streamed as usal he still would get a lot of atention .. why to fake it ? just to keep people vurious ? I still don't undertand how someone can find a cart with a handwritten label in japanese and don't ask whats is there, do not test the cart on an actuall snes and these stuff before being called by someone famous to get the things worked.... they wante dto have fun? idk but it made look very cheap :B

every game creepypasta start with a guy turning the console on with an strange looking cart on it, right? xDDDD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over