The new Skate game will be free to play, mobile version planned as well

The latest entry in the Skate series got some new information today, courtesy of a board room discussion video from developer Full Circle. Stylized as skate., the game will have cross play and cross progression across last gen, current gen, and PC, though EA has not announced what platforms skate. will be available on. A mobile phone version of the game was also revealed in the video, The reasoning behind the name is that the developers want skate. to be a game they build on long-term post-release, and one that takes the best aspects from the old series, but without rebooting it or being a direct follow-up to Skate 3.

We have the ambition to keep supporting skate. for years to come. From the very inception of skate., the development team knew we wanted to create something different. Our vision was not a game that you’d play through and ‘beat,’ but something that you can regularly come back to and discover new things. Our dream is that skate. never ends. And in order to do that, we’ll be actively supporting skate. with new gameplay elements and tweaks, new content releases and events, and lots of seasonal drops

skate. will also be a free-to-play title, with microtransactions. The team stressed the fact that while there will be in-game purchases, maps won't be locked behind a paywall, loot boxes will not game in the game, and the microtransactions are purely cosmetic and won't affect gameplay. According to the video, the free to play model will be based on another EA title--Apex Legends.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dynamic updates is a bit more rare but in game advertising has been a thing for years, indeed if we are talking skateboarding games I remember when I compared an early demo of PS1 Tony Hawk to the final version that different sponsors (any rights clearance you might have seen for TV and film is about the same for games). https://gbatemp.net/threads/found-t...-quite-different-to-na-pizza-hut-demo.556304/ for the curious.

Ignoring mascot tie ins and such like (Zool being a lollipop company effort/sponsorship, Cool Spot on the megadrive literally being 7-up's mascot, James Pond II and penguin chocolate biscuits... the 16 bit list goes on for a while with the 8 bit one only being marginally shorter) I probably first noticed it in earnest for Rainbow Six Vegas ( https://www.wired.com/2007/03/conclusion-inga/ , though in my case I thought the Axe deodorant was a spoof of some form as I did not know/had forgotten that was the American name for Lynx).

The current big notable one for this is probably Fortnite
https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/23/18635920/fortnite-jumpman-john-wick-marvel-brand-advertisement
https://www.stryvemarketing.com/blog/fortnite-marketing-platform/

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dynamic updates is a bit more rare but in game advertising has been a thing for years, indeed if we are talking skateboarding games I remember when I compared an early demo of PS1 Tony Hawk to the final version that different sponsors (any rights clearance you might have seen for TV and film is about the same for games). https://gbatemp.net/threads/found-t...-quite-different-to-na-pizza-hut-demo.556304/ for the curious.
You are talking about product placement and sponsors. I am talking about putting ads from millions of companies like in the real world all over inside the open world game. It's not just one or two companies sponsor, it's more like google ads, but as textures overlayed on buses, bus stops, billboard, practically everywhere like Times Square in New York.

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
This leaves me wondering what outrageous pay to win item in the game will dominate the press coverage at release, instead of talk about the actual game or anything

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Free, so what they really mean is the so called leaked beta was actually the final version. Another typical EA title that is crapped out, riddled with bugs and not finished.

But they either plan to fix with future updates and/or a massive day one update that is larger than the base game itself.

Reactions: codezer0

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
For open world game like this or even GTA - you can make the game free without micro transactions. Just put ads in the game - millions of them - on billboards, buses, bus stops, building, etc like in the real world. They can charge advertisers monthly for the ads placement and switch ads dynamically with updates. I am surprise no company is doing that.
Didn't Microsoft try that in a few games a few years ago?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show