Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, let's first cut back to a few months ago. The net has up until this point worked out rather well up here at Purdue. And then, for no reason whatsoever, it dies. Well, it's not campus-wide from what I can tell, but it seems to affect either entire rooms, entire floors, or entire dorms or even beyond that. It's been fine since then, until lately when the same thing has been happening. Yesterday alone it died at least four times, and the of those times had a friend on the floor above me, someone else in my hall, and my roommate without net, so I'm sure it is some sort of problem on the administrator's end.

What gets me though is that some pages will display this...nonsense at the top, or just that nonsense. Like, it'd be nothing but BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB??????????????????????????????? or something. I've seen it on my friend's computer and I'm sure it's been on everyone else's too. I haven't heard anything about there being a problem, so far anyway. The only quick-fix I have for it is to access my router page and DHCP Renew.

Any ideas what could be going on?

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
I work in IT, and on a college campus... ironically. The best I can say from what you have told me it is more than likely a router (in the network) that has gone haywire (virus or just age) and is spitting out garbage. The routers tell the data in the network where to go, so if one of them is corrupting data as it is routing, that would explain the odd locations that you say are occurring.

Once again... this is just my best guess.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, you're probably at a different campus, but this one is usually stable. It goes down every once in a while, but then it gets right back up. I've never had a probably like you've said though.

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
weiff said:
I work in IT, and on a college campus... ironically. The best I can say from what you have told me it is more than likely a router (in the network) that has gone haywire (virus or just age) and is spitting out garbage. The routers tell the data in the network where to go, so if one of them is corrupting data as it is routing, that would explain the odd locations that you say are occurring.

A best guess is honestly better than anything I have thus far, thanks. =P I'd honestly believe it to be age considering that we have our computers running 24/7 in computer labs so I'm sure it's not much different for servers or a router or whatnot. I'm still amused that it takes me (now) almost no time to recover from this downtime than others, or how it used to go for me. A virus might be more plausible, since we've been hacked here before several times, and a "number of usernames and passwords were leaked" with the attacks. And now we have notices that the school will never ask for such information in emails.
rolleyes.gif

jumpman17Well, you're probably at a different campus, but this one is usually stable. It goes down every once in a while, but then it gets right back up. I've never had a probably like you've said though.

Yeah, and I think it might be coming right back up, just that it seems to take our computers so long to realize it's returned. I've been kicked off for as long as half an hour to an hour and I'm the only one affected, or whatever. I'll just keep using the router-refresh trick until it fails to work. ...and maybe I should dust off my own router, just in case...

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:
weiff said:

A best guess is honestly better than anything I have thus far, thanks. =P I'd honestly believe it to be age considering that we have our computers running 24/7 in computer labs so I'm sure it's not much different for servers or a router or whatnot. I'm still amused that it takes me (now) almost no time to recover from this downtime than others, or how it used to go for me. A virus might be more plausible, since we've been hacked here before several times, and a "number of usernames and passwords were leaked" with the attacks. And now we have notices that the school will never ask for such information in emails.
rolleyes.gif

LAWL, they put a big yellow banner on the page and we still get people giving their info to scammers. One of my profs says the server is actually hacked about once a week but they don't like to report that.

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jumpman17 said:
Doomsday Forte said:
weiff said:

rolleyes.gif

LAWL, they put a big yellow banner on the page and we still get people giving their info to scammers. One of my profs says the server is actually hacked about once a week but they don't like to report that.

That sounds about right to be sadly honest. People are pretty stupid to fall prey to that especially with a huge can't-fucking-miss banner. And I'd believe the stats about us getting hacked so often. I mean...I guess a university is a big target. I'm not sure how much damage can be done with hacking, but we're supposed to be a computering school among other things. You'd think we'd have a good defense. =P

What university are you at, jumpman? I inferred Purdue, but seeing how we apparently have at least five campuses in Indiana alone...West Lafayette here!

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Doomsday Forte said:
jumpman17 said:
Doomsday Forte said:
weiff said:

rolleyes.gif

That sounds about right to be sadly honest. People are pretty stupid to fall prey to that especially with a huge can't-fucking-miss banner. And I'd believe the stats about us getting hacked so often. I mean...I guess a university is a big target. I'm not sure how much damage can be done with hacking, but we're supposed to be a computering school among other things. You'd think we'd have a good defense. =P

What university are you at, jumpman? I inferred Purdue, but seeing how we apparently have at least five campuses in Indiana alone...West Lafayette here!
Actually it's perfectly understandable if such ad was racy. Some people KNOW that it's a scam or whatever, but something else controls them to click on those racy ads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission