• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The media is creating mass hysteria over the Coronavirus.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 44,817
  • Replies 504
  • Likes 9

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've pretty much abandoned all hope.
pfft relax. ive seen brave nurses putting on the isolation outfit without batting an eyelash. just remain calm and do common sense stuff to avoid making the work of nurses and doctors harder in the long run.
I have already been in a unit filled with patients that have been diagnosed with it. its serious, but common sense goes a long way.

Reactions: emigre and Xzi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently chicken as well. I was speaking to someone there and it seems it is rather hard to come by, and pricey when you do. However they said they looked over 2m and there was a whole load of beef just sitting there.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
In my city the only shortages and price rises are happening to vegetables, soap and canned tuna, quite logical if you try to prepare for a possible quarantine or just in case you are doing a self-quarantine. Personally I'm thinking into taking the second option, since at my work they already allowed us to stay working as home-offices, and my mom is part of the vulnerable sector and I wouldn't want to get Covid then pass it to her.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yeah, I went to Tesco earlier and there was no chicken or eggs... there's a joke in there somewhere.
Why did the chicken cross the road? To self quarantine. Her eggs.

Here is something interesting, Austria currently has almost all thinkable measures going to get the daily additional infection rate down from +35%. Health minister was just out there saying that end of the week the government will be evaluating if those are 'enough'. Issue, I pretty much cant think of any additional measures. Shops are closed, people are only permitted to go out for work, and to buy food, schools are partly closed, self-quarantining is suggested..

In the capital city energy use (overall) is down by a fifth.

So... Ill be curious to see what else they could announce coming the end of the week. :)

edit: People from italy might know.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel sorry for new parents as the mob has now bought up all the baby wipes too. I guess it was only a matter of time before people realised that toilet paper wasn't the only option.

D

Deleted User

OP
https://heavy.com/news/2020/03/jennifer-haller/

The first trials on human volunteers for a experimental vaccine have started on March 16.

Quote:
Jennifer Haller is the Seattle woman who volunteered to be the first person to test an experimental vaccine that was developed to potentially help guard against the coronavirus.

Haller received the first of two injections on March 16. The medical trial is taking place at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle. Researchers recruited 45 healthy individuals to participate in phase one of the trial, which has been funded by the National Institutes of Health.

The biotechnology company Moderna created the vaccine called mRNA-1273. As researchers explained in a news release, the team first needs to determine the “safety of various doses and whether these doses produce an immune response. Phase I trials are not designed to determine whether the vaccine is effective in preventing coronavirus infection. That work comes at a later phase of the vaccine research.”

Haller told the Associated Press her two teenage children think it’s “cool” that she is part of this first trial. “We all feel so helpless. This is an amazing opportunity for me to do something.”

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yay rushed responses to things.
According to statements from the Curavec Pharma joint mentioned before, they may start clinical trials in the beginning summer months, with a possible vaccine in fall.

(Second datapoint on rushed vaccine development. ;) )

Brizas99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
It's better to stay away from the media during this period of time. The "information" they're presenting is a way to create panic, so be aware of the articles you're reading

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It's better to stay away from the media during this period of time. The "information" they're presenting is a way to create panic, so be aware of the articles you're reading
Monkey no see, monkey no hear, monkey no talk.

eiMbdDb.jpg

Hey, they've mixed up the order of those statues! ;)

Last edited by notimp,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Going all the way "i can't hear you! lalalala" doesn't help anyone. At least listen to what your govement says to protect yourself and others. And to prevent expensive fines or prison if you break the rules.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if Coronas infect water, then when we all get runs, you’ll want that toilet paper since you can’t shower, because it feels like acid rain. Then when lightning strikes, and it’ll be soon, you get electric. That is when the sky falls. Oh wait, this is an EoF?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
End of Forum? ;) (edit: Edge of forum. :) got it.)

Corona cant infect water. ;) For high concentrations it needs 'humans in proximity' (because it replicates in people). Thats why in Germany people now learn the 3 feet (hold your distance) rule in social interaction. :)

Also you cant get the runs from it.

(Just making sure people dont pick that up as information. :) )

Still dont know why people buy toiletpaper. :)

I'm just surfacing new info. New Study from the New England journal of medicine. :) See src.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
New Study from the Imperial College in London (model (calculations)) asserts that 25% of all 60+ year old patients might need intensive medical care in the future).

If no countermeasures were taken, according to their model 500.000 people in the UK would die, and 2,2 million in the US.
src: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/covid19-imperial-researchers-model-likely-impact/

Countermessures to slow down spread ARE taken though. :) If people can slow down spread to 60-70% of people worldwide, to two years, everything goes over well. 1 year already is somewhat of an issue (but should be leveled off by rushing vaccine development (for some risk groups) - if you do that, states would have to cover risk).
src: Coronavirus-Update #16: "Wir brauchen Abkürzungen bei der Impfstoffzulassung" | NDR Podcast (german)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: rule 63 is the best one