• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The media is creating mass hysteria over the Coronavirus.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 44,882
  • Replies 504
  • Likes 9

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
and nobody talks about why now ! dean koontz 1981 / sylvia browne end of days
and nobody talks about why china ? nobody talks about those lines in the sky so called plane smoke
24/7 365 days a year . we all share this planet with each other its time for the mass to wake up

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Businesses and schools are closing, the markets are down as much as 30%, the idiot in the White House is clearly panicking, but oh the "media" is creating mass hysteria. I guess you'd prefer the media in China, where they don't report anything but good news about the virus? Blaming the "media", which is so massive a category in 2020 that includes voices from all sides of every issue, is the most lazy form of generic criticism possible. Get a grip. And stop trying to prop up Traitor Trump by repeating what FauxNews tells you to believe.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh a chemtrails type. How novel.

"24/7 365 days a year"
Psst the year is longer than that.

Businesses and schools are closing, the markets are down as much as 30%, the idiot in the White House is clearly panicking, but oh the "media" is creating mass hysteria. I guess you'd prefer the media in China, where they don't report anything but good news about the virus? Blaming the "media", which is so massive a category in 2020 that includes voices from all sides of every issue, is the most lazy form of generic criticism possible.

There is a rather large difference between blathering endlessly despite being clueless and leaping upon random speculation (something which all of the, sadly partisan, news sources seem to going in for) without properly vetting it and declaring those that survive will live to be 200 or whatever and you should be lucky to catch it.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Some of it is also just people being people. :) Most of the media was good with it in my vicinity, but you should have seen some of the media responses, when Merkel announced, that statistically the virus might only stop spreading once 60-70% of germans had caught it, went through it and therefore had immunity. People not understanding how to interpret statistics is also part of the issue.

The message you want out there is, calm down, but at the same time dont take stupid risks, and know what you are dealing with.

But that also entails to tell some people just "hey it will be ok" because they want to hear that at the time. But not all of them. (Another person might freak, especially because you told them 'just that'.)

Which is a reason for why it is important for media to be both independant, and representative of demographics.
(Helps trust forming.)

And yes, thats just a different way to say "maybe some people need to hear it differently". (This concept:
)

Last edited by notimp,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The media is not creating mass hysteria. I know a couple of people who have it and believe me it ain't pretty. The people commenting and constantly bringing up other diseases and such all live in an area where they have not seen people coughing up blood in the middle of the street and not experienced first hand what it is. They're still in damage control mode induced by the goverment and are just repeating the same bullshit things a goverment says before it broke out to keep the bullshit economy going and don't even realize how they're just saying the exact same thing.

Last edited by kumikochan,

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not a pleasant thing for sure.
however people dont realize that there is a different between panicking and staying vigilant.
the media is only saying people should be cautious.
people: acting like its the apocalypse.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess for those of us old enough to remember 2009 and the swine flu, it's pretty obvious that the news sources now, in 2020, in the USA are overhyping the fear and focusing all they can on any governmental missteps. Compared to 2009 anyway, when the swine flu was rampant worldwide, and the USA death toll from it eventually reached 12,000, and yet CNN and other outlets downplayed the threat daily. Everything was under control then, remain calm, the government's doing a great job. Now all we hear from 'the news' is that it's an absolute clusterfuck operation, even though we seem to be handling it better and more decisively than any other developed country.

There's plenty of reason to take this virus seriously. But I haven't taken CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, or FOX seriously as sources of FACT or OBJECTIVITY for a long time.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I guess for those of us old enough to remember 2009 and the swine flu, it's pretty obvious that the news sources now, in 2020, in the USA are overhyping the fear and focusing all they can on any governmental missteps. Compared to 2009 anyway, when the swine flu was rampant worldwide, and the USA death toll from it eventually reached 12,000, and yet CNN and other outlets downplayed the threat daily. Everything was under control then, remain calm, the government's doing a great job. Now all we hear from 'the news' is that it's an absolute clusterfuck operation, even though we seem to be handling it better and more decisively than any other developed country.

There's plenty of reason to take this virus seriously. But I haven't taken CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, or FOX seriously as sources of FACT or OBJECTIVITY for a long time.
You're at almost 2000 known infections and still have to test a couple thousands who applied according to news so please explain how you're at it better than other developed countries like you claim ? That's some elitist claim

Last edited by kumikochan,
D

Deleted User

OP
The news (well, "news") of Coronavirus in Portugal have been more of an annoyance than anything relevant.

Hell, the media (specifically, Correio da Manhã) even made this list that made me laugh.

I7UxjQRr.jpg

Cyprus is located in the Middle East (Asia), but the population is mostly European, and the language is also European (Cypriot Greek), plus the EU has their claws around the island. Except, the portion that's controlled by the Turkish. So.. even though Cyprus is nearly all European, it's not in Europe which makes that list wrong. It's also incorrect to say "América" as a continent, should be "As Américas" or "Américas", but meh.. I don't care that much whoever wrote screwed it up. It's just kinda fun to point it out.

Last edited by ,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The mass hysteria honestly made me wish I was allowed to tell people to go fuck themselves today.
It's NOT my fucking fault if we are sold out of everything, you all take the stocks for granted, so much for spending all day watching TV rather than having a job >.>

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're at almost 2000 known infections and still have to test a couple thousands who applied according to news so please explain how you're at it better than other developed countries like you claim ? That's some elitist claim

The 2019 Global Health Security Index (over a year after those people were fired) found the United States to be the most prepared nation on the planet, across 6 categories of consideration. And by a decent margin over the #2 country.

View attachment 199330

ghsindex.org

View attachment 199331

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Update. Belgian researchers just told they've found a cure and that first tests have shown it works. Further tests will have to be done but we probably have a cure

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The 2019 Global Health Security Index (over a year after those people were fired) found the United States to be the most prepared nation on the planet, across 6 categories of consideration. And by a decent margin over the #2 country.

View attachment 199330

ghsindex.org

View attachment 199331
Seems those numbers aren't as correct anymore eh now that other nations who aren't even on that list have less infections and are better at controlling it

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update. Belgian researchers just told they've found a cure and that first tests have shown it works. Further tests will have to be done but we probably have a cure

Seems those numbers aren't as correct anymore eh now that other nations who aren't even on that list have less infections and are better at controlling it

You do understand that frequently travelled/visited 1st world nations are naturally going to have more exposure, right?? The US is "exposed" to international flow people and goods on an extraordinary scale compared to 'nations who aren't even on that list.' You have to actually be hit with the pandemic first, for your level of preparedness to matter.

I liked your post though, because of the news re: possible cure. That's awesome!

Reactions: kumikochan

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
For diabetes and high blood preassure patients.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ure-diabetes-worsen-coronavirus-symptoms.html

Read the article through to the end and dont take irrational decisions. Further studies are needed and under way.

Currently its just a published hypothesis (a call for people to research this), and not proven.

Also - this is what you are trying to prevent:
'If a patient stops their medication and worsens to the point of requiring admission to hospital at the same time as we are dealing with an increase in COVID-19 cases, that would pose the patient a considerable risk and put further strain on the healthcare services.'

Also, effects of stopping to take those on the progress of COVID-19 cases are not yet known.
People who are prescribed these medications should not stop taking them.
Is the current advice, and if that changes, I'm positively sure, that you will hear it in the news. :)

edit: replaced link with a better source

Last edited by notimp,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I was reasonably calm about the whole thing until I read about the possible ACE inhibitor issue. A few people in my family have been on Lisinopril for a long time, including me, but concerned for the elderly ones more than ever now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh