• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The media is creating mass hysteria over the Coronavirus.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 44,656
  • Replies 504
  • Likes 9

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
In a few supermarkets here there is a shortage of toilet paper and water. Like seriously? If you are in quarantine wiping your ass is your first priority?

Reactions: CallmeBerto

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Virus (COVID-19) is killed by going through peoples digestive systems, so no need for more toilet paper, scientifically speaking. (Not a joke, thats actually the case. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get the point that people are over-reacting. But all the same, this is absolutely something to be informed of. By it's very nature, any amount of hysteria is inevitable when spreading the word on this kind of situation. I'm not so sure we should blame the media on that, so much as we should simply blame those that pay attention to nothing but the media. There are far too many people like that out there, and unfortunately they're the kinds of people to be fixated and obsess. In other words, it is what it is. Just do your best to not be a part of the hysteria and try to calm your friends and family that are concerned, but also understand that they do have a right to be at least somewhat concerned all the same.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people are over reacting but the situation is actually kind of serious. Can not go into specifics for privacy concerns but its been a doozy to be aware of what is going to reported in the news days before it gets reported. (in case anybody wonders, i provide first hand support to those in the frontlines)
In reality the ones that deserve so much more credit in all of this are the healthcare workers in the front lines of what is happening.

my biggest concern with this shit is that in the US we have all been conditioned to go to work and tough it out through cold and flu's. This is extremely ill advised with this thing. hope people practice common sense (yeah i know, im dreaming)

if there is a nurse or doctor in your life take this time as a reminder to show them some love.

that being said tho
as a great president once said

"The only thing to fear, is fear itself" here is to hoping this thing goes under control soon enough

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually bought 3 bags of toilet paper(4 rolls in each), not because I'm worried about the virus, and getting quarantined, but because I'm worried people are going to buy them all out, and there won't be any left for me to buy any. I didn't buy out the whole store like some people.

I guess I'll have to track down some hand sanitizer next, because I like to use it a lot, and enjoy the smell, and like to keep my hands cl- wait, am I explaining why I like hand sanitizer ? looool

I fear the crazy people buying out the stores more than the actual virus it self, lol.

And Jesus, fucking China. I swear if it turns out they made this virus them self, I hope the whole world sanctions them. But companies won't fucking leave the country, and go to other cheap labor countries.

Last edited by Viri,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here are a few new news items for US citizens:

- Republicans just blocked a motion for payed sick leave (for 14 days) during health emergencies. (As predicted.. ;) ) But talks are ongoing.

- Schools are closing in the US (fun?) over 1500 to date (affecting over 1mio students)

- If you want to get tested, call a hotline, dont walz into your doctors office

- Tests are available for free - but doctors will decide based on your risk profile of being infected already (meaning, have you traveled recently to highly effected countries, or been in contact with someone who was effected), if you get tested or not.

Same procedure as everywhere in europe. Labors to process the tests have limited capacity. So you restrict it that way.

Remember all of that stuff is there to interrupt a faster spread (early doubling of cases in the growth curve).

Thats it. :)

src: h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ackNue2MmV0

edit: Oh, and Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive for COVID-19.
So don't go over to Toms house. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really recommend people to watch the JRE podcast with Michael Osterholm. Especially if you are not sure what information to believe or not, as he is pretty much one of the world's leading experts on infectious diseases and epidemiology.

Last edited by subcon959,

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
:wtf: i just want to know why tf people here in my town are mass buying flour, did everyone become a baker now?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I really recommend people to watch the JRE podcast with Michael Osterholm. Especially if you are not sure what information to believe or not, as he is pretty much one of the world's leading experts on infectious diseases and epidemiology.

I'll link it again h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

Although not so sure about 'one of the worlds leading experts'. ;) Not trying to put him down, I'm just unsure about that statement. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It really angers me that people fell for the "It'll be gone when the weather warms" rhetoric.
Dont, its for their benefit. :) (Nerves.. :) )

There is nothing (not much except washing hands) that they could do differently based on that perception. And it will help the economy to start back up, once 'normalcy' is rolled back in. ;) (Which will be before the virus is gone/a vaccine is widely available.)

Last edited by notimp,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:wtf: i just want to know why tf people here in my town are mass buying flour, did everyone become a baker now?
That is a new one, and an odd one.

I could see soup packets in Germany someone mentioned earlier, and some bulk buying rice when I was at Costco the other day but flour is an odd one. Certainly more nutritious than water and bog roll (while you can make vodka out of it the process is likely a bit beyond most people) but most things anybody would make with flour also use dairy (eggs, milk, butter...), supplies of which presumably would be troubled if doing the more long term thing. I guess you can mix flour and water but that is going to be dire times, maybe they all have stocks of olive oil and are going to do flatbreads.

That said if people are that stupid and not buying canned goods or dehydrated powders (said soup mixes aside) and other such things that taste good and provide some nutrition beyond simple calories then I would not complain too hard.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Why, why are you all buying water, people watching the news? I don't get it. It's not a hurricane. Why.
So people are buying flour, toilet paper and water in bulk... Looks like everyone is really into papier-mâché all of a sudden :tpi:

This is an example of a positive feedback loop in action, in this case everyone is buying some articles simply because everyone else is. Rationally, no real shortages are expected, even with the pandemic. But people aren't thinking rationally. And it's really easy to trigger. It's enough for a tiny group of people to stock up on, say, toilet paper, to make some store shelves appear empty, so other people believe there's a shortage so they start stocking up, and it all balloons from there into a mass panic and actual shortages.

This is why stock exchanges have trading curbs, to prevent a death wobble or complete crash when a similar situation happens to a company's shares. One person sells too many shares, everyone else starts panic selling because they think the first guy knows something they don't, and boom, panic, hysteria, crash.

edit: Oh, and Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive for COVID-19.
So don't go over to Toms house. ;)
They're currently quarantined in Australia, so arguably now is the best time to go over to his house :ha:

Reactions: notimp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.