The Homebrew Launcher Emulators all-in-one Noob's Guide (SNES/GB/GBC/GBA/NES)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by JJTapia19, Aug 27, 2015.

1. GiovyX96

GiovyX96 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2015
    Italy
    Ah ok XD
    Thanks ;)

2. Real_Redwolf

Real_Redwolf GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    Antarctica
    You might also want to put PicoDrive which is a Genesis/Master System emulator. And it should be put in blue because it runs at full speed (or close to) on o3DS.

JJTapia19 and RegularMoron like this.
  3. RegularMoron

RegularMoron GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2014
    France
    I approve, Picodrive is the best Megadrive emulator.

JJTapia19 likes this.
  4. JJTapia19
    OP

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

May 31, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Sorry for the late reply. I wasn't getting notifications for some reason. Added Picodrive!

[​IMG]
    I'm still missing some other emulators but I'll add more soon. :)

RegularMoron likes this.
  5. Jeremy Whiting

Jeremy Whiting Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    United States
    What am I missing if every retroarch emulator shows "1.3.0 - No core" at the bottom when started? The "Help" menu dialog says to set the core with "Load Core" but I don't see that option anywhere either. I downloaded the retroarch daily build and extracted it all onto the sd card. Using oot3dhax with 10.3.0-28U firmware.

6. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    What's the best GBA emulator so far for 3DS/New 3DS?

7. DragonspiritPT

DragonspiritPT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Which console are you trying to emulate? For some, you need BIOS files. Also make sure you are copying both 3ds and retroarch folders to SD card.

Gpsp and mGBA, try playing around these two.

On a side-note, I tried a NES emulator. FF3 runs at 250 fps, lol. Had to use v-sync and could even add a sharpening filter. :D
    Bahamut Lagoon on the SNES runs around 30fps, not smooth. Will try other games.

8. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    Tried Pokémon Firered on both, none worked fine, mGBA worked better but still has some lame slowdowns.
    I tried tons of games, but even when it didn't show slowdowns, the audio never worked properly.

9. DragonspiritPT

DragonspiritPT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    I tried Pokemon Red, and just played the beginning. Runs higher than 50fps, almost hitting 60, but it has some issues. mGBA + N3DS. Make sure you are using the latest mGBA version. It's playable, but not perfect.
    However, if you wanna play Pokemon, go for the GBC emulator, I tried Pokemon Crystal, is pretty flawless.

edit: Unsure about the gpsp, I really gtg now, I'll try to test it later

Last edited by DragonspiritPT, Dec 29, 2015
  10. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    I have a N3DS but it wasn't quite as I expected.
    I expected a better GBA emulation since both GBA and 3DS use ARM architecture but it was a bit disappointing. It's even more dissapointing considering N3DS has twice the GPU processing power than 3DS. I guess I should wait, 3DS is still in it's early scene. I guess I was so impressed with blargSNES that I was expecting too much from GBA emulators. Let's wait, time will show what 3DS and New 3DS are capable of.

11. DragonspiritPT

DragonspiritPT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Good news, gPsp runs Pokemon Firered at 80fps. And I don't think that the new 3ds has a better gpu, isn't it just the cpu that was enhanced?

N64 likes this.
  12. Kuresu

Kuresu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2010
    Norway
    Does anyone have any recommended settings for the following emulators from RetroArch:

PSX, SNES, NES, GBA?

EDIT: Also, my GBA emulators keep crashing, anyone know why?

mGBA just gets a white screen whenever i load a rom.

gpSP says it failed to load audio/video driver and crashes whenever i load a rom.

EDIT 2: GBA seems to have a faulty bios, i will continue to search for a valid one.

But if anyone has any recommended settings for said emulators, would still love to have them.

Last edited by Kuresu, Feb 8, 2016
  13. abelxcane

abelxcane GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    United States
    It depends on which 3ds you have (O3ds or N3ds). Also most of the emulators work well at the stock settings retroarch uses.I'll tell you the ones I have used(FYI I run the emulators from the .cia).

O3ds: (NES) quicknes will give you pretty much full speed
    (SNES) PocketSNES will give you 40-60 fps depending on the game with some dips to around 30. Alternative is Blargsnes which will give you 50 or higher fps but I found a lot of my games dont work with this one like Umihara Kawase
    (GBA) gpSP will give you pretty much full speed.
    (PSX) PCSX-ReARMed I had hardly attempted this one because of the very low fps

N3ds: (NES) FCEUmm will give you full speed
    (SNES) CATSFC will give you full speed
    (GBA) gpSP will give you full speed. I tried mgba some time ago and I noticed dips in the fps in some games but that might have changed with the new nightly builds
    (PSX) PCSX-ReARMed Will give you near full speed depending on the game for instance I get 59 fps in Metal Slug X but I get roughly 29 fps in Pocket Fighter. So Its a bit of a experiment to see what works at what speed.

Now (GBA) gpSP Also needs a bios file Location retroarch/cores/system
    • gba_bios.bin

(PSX) PCSX-ReARMed Also needs bios files Location retroarch/cores/system
    • scph5500.bin (MD5 sum: 8dd7d5296a650fac7319bce665a6a53c)
    • scph5501.bin (MD5 sum: 490f666e1afb15b7362b406ed1cea246)
    • scph5502.bin (MD5 sum: 32736f17079d0b2b7024407c39bd3050)
    Also it can help speed by disabling Audio/video sync (Settings>Audio>Audio Sync Enable OFF and setting sound resampler (Settings>Driver>Audio Resampler Driver to "Nearest". Also you can try disabling VSync (Settings>Video>VSync off) but I don't think it will help much.
    If you need the bios I can send you mine as an attachment but not here as its not allowed. Sorry if I missed something as I wrote this in a rush.

Last edited by abelxcane, Feb 9, 2016
    Kuresu, Xabring and TR_mahmutpek like this.
  14. Kuresu

Kuresu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2010
    Norway
    Thank you for the in-depth reply :)

EDIT: Does anyone else have trouble with the latest builds crashing when trying to load content in RetroArch menu?

Last edited by Kuresu, Feb 10, 2016
  15. leerz

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    does a neogeo emu exist? i recall neods working pretty well on the DS :)

16. TheToaster

TheToaster Kishore Gowrishankar

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Yes, check the OP's post. There is a link to one.

17. abelxcane

Jan 4, 2011
    United States
    Your welcome and yeah the latest builds seem to have a problem so I would stick to the latest stable build or the latest nightly build that worked for you.

18. LukEdge

LukEdge Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2010
    Brazil
    I tried out gpSP, runs great! ...except for some weird lines on the top of the screen, here's a video for reference:

Specially visible around 24~26 seconds.

Did I download a faulty BIOS? Set something up wrong?

19. abelxcane

Jan 4, 2011
    United States
    Are you using a stable release or a nightly?

20. LukEdge

LukEdge Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2010
    Brazil
    I tried both the latest nightly build at the time, tried again the latest nightly build today, and I tried the stable one too (http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.1/nintendo/3ds/), but I got the same issues with every version. It's the only emulator where I have this happen, but it's also the one GBA emulator that works great for me in terms of frame rate and such. I'm installing the CIAs by the way. I also just downloaded another version of the DBZ Supersonic Warriors ROM, as well as tried out other ROMs, and they all show the same kind of problem.

Next I'll try converting older versions of the emulator to CIA to see if it works. For reference, when I open the retroarch menus it shows "1.3.1 - gpSP v0.91", and my System Settings on the emunand shows "Rei 10.6.0-31U".

Last edited by LukEdge, Mar 14, 2016
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted