Hacking The Great Chip Debate

Foxle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering getting a mod chip for my Wii. I've heard a lot of different things on this site about them, but I'm still a little unsure overall. I modded my original PSX from way back in the day, but I bought the console for about 50 dollars used, and was always an N64 for anyways. If something went wrong, I wasn't missing out on much and could always buy another one. However, not only are Wiis expensive, they're really really hard to find (still). So first and foremost, I want a chip that has a very slim chance of breaking my Wii. My questions are as follows:

(Oh, and FYI, I got my Wii on the day it came out, in case that helps with identifying the parts on the inside.)

1) This site has a good deal of info on the Wiinija chip, and the CycloWiz as well. The Cyclo-wiz is looking good right now with it's DVD upgrading, and ability to have an on off switch. However, I'm clueless on the pros and cons of any other chip that might be out there that this site doesn't cover as much (especially since a lot of the information on the reviews is dated).

2) What's up with the Wiikey? The FAQs on this site don't even mention it, and yet that's one of the most talked about chips on the forum.

3) Does any card out there off true, 100%, future proof compatibility with original, off the shelf games? I know that even though my PSX's mod chip claimed to be a stealth modded chip, games like Dino Crisis could fool it. I've heard that the WiiKey has trouble with Dual Layer discs, so I'll probably steer clear of it unless someone has some reason why it shouldn't.

4) Is it possible for a Wii system update to brick, break, disable, or otherwise ruin my Wii?

5) Finally, is there anything particularly tricky I should know before I buy a chip?

I'm sure tons of people have probably asked questions like these before, so thank you very much for your understanding and help.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
Best to research the web pages and look at them yourself.

Wiikey works fine for every burned game so far, but lacks support from the team.
On the other hand, some chips have loads of support, but are still trying to do things other chips can already do. I used to have a wiikey and never had a problem. EVER. I've now switched to D2Pro, and hope that does me good in the future. The choice is really yours. Search in google, or this site, for a "chip comparison" chart or something similar. I've seen a few around

hope that helps!

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wiikey currently lacks support for dual layer originals (like Super Smash Bros. Brawl), though.

I personally went the open-source route, and I'm not regretting it. YAOSM and OpenWii both have all the features the best commercial chips have (yes, even the dreaded Audiofix), and you're only paying for the hardware itself, which is a few bucks at most.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why should it lack support for dual layer originals and then support dual layer backups?

It just doesn't make sense. The only explanation is that Nintendo did something to exclusively prevent execution of an original disc on a Wii chipped with Wiikey, like fake sectors or something like that, that when dumped, are lost.

Now, the answers:

1) I don't really like the CycloWiz because of that switch... Ah, and it's not an ON-OFF switch, it's used to put the chip in "UPGRADE" mode. So it's just an useless and ugly hole in your Wii case.

2) I would go with WiiKey. All the features, and easiest install evar.

3) No chip can promise future proof 100% compatibility, after all the hardware is Nintendo's, and who knows what else they can think of. And Wiikey only has problems with Dual Layer originals... But if you're going to chip your Wii, you're probably going to use backups, so that the original disc won't be scratched.

4) Theorically no. But as said before, we can't know what new protections Nintendo might come up with. But seeing as until now there hasn't been an efficient way to block modchips, it's safe to assume that they're pretty safe for your Wii.

5) Yes, your Wii model. If it's a D2C (all the Wiis bought in the last 6 months or so are SURELY D2C) you need to use other modchips, like Argon, D2PRO or D2CKey which are a lot harder to install.

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since you have an older Wii, your system is compatable with all the easy install chips. Wiikey is easy as can be to install, but the speed of their firmware updates isn't too be desired.

Although I use Wiikey, I would recommend YAOSM. You can order free samples from microchip.com. (I got four 12F629 from them when I first used Wiifree), so all you need to buy is a programmer. If you build the programmer yourself, you can make one for about $5 in parts.

YAOSM seems to have all the features of commercial chips and is in the process of adding DVD upgradablity.

Wiinewz has an entire forum dedicated to this chip, so I'd look there for more info on it.
http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/yaosm/

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Why should it lack support for dual layer originals and then support dual layer backups?

It just doesn't make sense. The only explanation is that Nintendo did something to exclusively prevent execution of an original disc on a Wii chipped with Wiikey, like fake sectors or something like that, that when dumped, are lost.

the chip boots real games differently from burned games.

Marticuno

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You should know that you need a tri-wing screwdriver and a very small Philips screwdriver to open your Wii.

And I recommend Wiinja Deluxe.

comtois

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
get a wiinja deluxe! not only is the website still up, but the admin still answers posts and all games work. i don't like that cyclowiz recommends you adjust the POT when installing the chip....seems fishy.....

plus, the wiinja guys are the ones who figured out the new layer break for the chips that wouldn't play the dump of SSBB from japan.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Volkov said:
raulpica said:

Why the hell have two different booting methods? Do you have something to back up this claim?
wink2.gif

Because doing something like that seems just a waste of effort and time, to me.

Marticuno

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
comtois said:
get a wiinja deluxe! not only is the website still up, but the admin still answers posts and all games work. i don't like that cyclowiz recommends you adjust the POT when installing the chip....seems fishy.....

plus, the wiinja guys are the ones who figured out the new layer break for the chips that wouldn't play the dump of SSBB from japan.

Yeah, the forums are answered everyday by Admin and a very active and competent moderator.

And they're clever, yeah ^^

WiiSAT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
raulpica said:
Volkov said:
raulpica said:

Why the hell have two different booting methods? Do you have something to back up this claim?
wink2.gif

When the latest WiiKey firmware was released there was no DL Wii game released yet. Because of this the WiiKey does not know the format these discs have, and in fact interprets the disc wrong. The WiiKey interprets the disc as a DL GCOS disc and makes the Wii disc drive send incorrect signals to the Wii. The reason is DOES play copied discs is that they are around for a long time and the WiiKey does recognize it properly, and hence it boots properly.

Basically, it's a poor design decision, and is easy to fix for someone with access and understanding of the WiiKey code. Other chips either accidentally had it right, or are updated and therefore now have it right, and can correctly boot original DL discs.

Could be slightly mistaken in some details, but I thinks basically this is the reason.

EDIT: and for general questions about chips, all have been answered either in the Wiki or elsewhere in the forums.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get yourself a YAOSM. I ordered the parts for mine, and it costs about $2.50 for the chip and the parts for the programmer. Not a bad price if you ask me.

DVD Upgradability has already been added too.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Volkov said:
raulpica said:

wink2.gif

Read what WiiSAT had to say.

Why have two different methods. Because burned games are not the same pressed games now are they?
lecture.gif

else why have a modchip to begin with

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can