Hacking The general VC rom injection thread (NES,GB/C/A etc.)

Jojse

Trophies
XP
Country
I had that error when I saved the images from Photoshop, due to the extra data it puts in the file. I copy& pasted the image from Photoshop into a basic image viewer, saved it from there and it worked.
Thank you very very much hippy dave, I opened the png file in MS Paint and then save as... And now it worked :) :) :)

Reactions: hippy dave

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
really? o.O how?

Gateway can't load anything that goes into DS Mode, which applies to GBA VC/most ambassador games.

I've not yet done it myself, but it was to my understanding that 4.5 CFW is the only way you are able to install these custom injected .cias and actually run them.

ChrisX930

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gateway can't load anything that goes into DS Mode, which applies to GBA VC/most ambassador games.

I've not yet done it myself, but it was to my understanding that 4.5 CFW is the only way you are able to install these custom injected .cias and actually run them.

Would cool if you can try it :)

ubergeek77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I might at some point, but it's super time-consuming to boot into CFW, and the only games I'd ever want to play are far above the 3MB size limit for GBA ROMs; 4-5MB at least, and one of them is about 8MB. If we had a compatibility list somewhere I'd be more interested in trying this, but in the event the 3DS crashes, that's another 30 minutes of holding the power button and resetting just to boot into the freaking thing.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But I thought that was the only way you could play them at the moment...
no, there is no way of running the ambassador GBA VC roms atm, the gba VC roms shown in this thread, are not the same as the ambassador titles, they run in a very very poor quality software emulator whereas the ambassador titles run in AGB_FIRM, all hacks for the 3DS break the extra FW modes once triggered, so unless they get fixed, it aint gonna happen

best bet for GBA is to use the homebrew emulator or buy a DSTWO

ubergeek77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, there is no way of running GBA VC roms atm, the gba VC roms shown in this thread, are not the same as the ambassador titles, all hacks for the 3DS break the extra FW modes once triggered, so unless they get fixed, it aint gonna happen

Okay, I think I'm misunderstanding something. How are injected VC GBA ROMs different from the Ambassador GBA games? How did you manage to get Advance Wars to run as a VC title (in the OP) even though you say there is no way of running them?

ubergeek77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i expanded on my post :P

You ninja editor you... :ph34r:

But anyway, I have a DSTwo, and I love my DSTwo, and while GBA emulation on that is pretty darn good, the audio timings tend to get out of sync after a while.

I'm just one of those people who have completely unreasonable expectations of emulation :D
My hope was that the games I was looking for were "simple" enough for the injected VC to run well, my reasoning being the emulator is "official."

I'll just have to be reeeaaaally patient for citrAGB.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You ninja editor you... :ph34r:

But anyway, I have a DSTwo, and I love my DSTwo, and while GBA emulation on that is pretty darn good, the audio timings tend to get out of sync after a while.

I'm just one of those people who have completely unreasonable expectations of emulation :D
My hope was that the games I was looking for were "simple" enough for the injected VC to run well, my reasoning being the emulator is "official."

I'll just have to be reeeaaaally patient for citrAGB.
well if at any point AGB_FIRM is fixed in gateway mode, there should be pretty decent compatibility for it......BUT, that being said, it was only created with a very specific rom set in mind, many features may not even be implemented as none of the 10 ambassador games used them

the SW emulator built into the standard VC environment seems to of been a work in progress that didnt get very far and was dropped in favor of AGB_FIRM...which is why its pretty much crap

ubergeek77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well if at any point AGB_FIRM is fixed in gateway mode, there should be pretty decent compatibility for it......BUT, that being said, it was only created with a very specific rom set in mind, many features may not even be implemented as none of the 10 ambassador games used them

the SW emulator built into the standard VC environment seems to of been a work in progress that didnt get very far and was dropped in favor of AGB_FIRM...which is why its pretty much crap

Why doesn't AGB_FIRM work on a CFW emuNAND?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran Wario Land 4 on my 4.2CFW. I used the funky cia guide to download the cia from my XL with the ambassador update, then it installed and played on my other 3DS. I had the ambassador certificate installed too if that matters

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, hold on. I'm going to upload it, though exiting the game boots you back into sysNAND. Anyone want to point me in the direction to unpack the gba cia so i can play some Mother 3?

EDIT:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtube.com/watch?v=fKm3kqOmqso