The general VC rom injection thread (NES,GB/C/A etc.)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gamesquest1, Sep 22, 2014.

1. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    This thread is now pretty much not needed, there is much easier, simpler tools for making Virtual console injections, please follow these links for the relevant threads
    NES
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-nes-vc-injector-for-3ds.437415/
    GBA
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gba-vc-injector-for-3ds.438057/
    SNES
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-snes-vc-injector-for-3ds.453891/
    GAMEBOY/GAMEBOY COLOUR
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gbc-vc-injector-for-3ds.434172/
    T16-PCE
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-t16-pce-vc-injector-for-3ds.438078/
    GAME GEAR
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gg-game-gear-vc-injector-for-3ds.437226/
    MEGA DRIVE (emulator forwarder)
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gen-md-forwarder-maker-for-3ds.454972/

Good luck and enjoy

[original thread contents]
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by gamesquest1, May 13, 2017

2. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    So a NES header converter and GG/SMS compression utility would be good if anyone is looking for a project.

Margen67 and gamesquest1 like this.
  3. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for this, covers everything I can see as being useful for this topic.

I wish we had SNES VC games, I want to continue my Earthbound adventure from my phone.

4. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    Nagato Normmatt

Margen67 likes this.
  5. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    If anyone with a 3DS capture card manages to inject GBA roms, I'd really like to see how the upscaling is done and could really use a raw screenshot of it. Mainly I want to know if the quality of the filtering is the same as official GBA VC.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Dean_

Dean_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm surprised that a VC can run roms of various platforms.
    I hope gateway team manages to get GBA VC to be run :D

7. AfroJackX

AfroJackX GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2013
    United States
    Do you guys think there will be a way to put injected vc games on 3ds sd card?

8. AceyBwoi

AceyBwoi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2014
    Bedroom
    hey what up peeps?,

just wanted to drop by and say awesome work gamequest,
    i was also just wondering i came across this multi-snes collection 3ds rom
    called Namco - J Legend Retsuden.. it seems to have a compilation of nes and snes roms
    would it be possible to rip this rom and inject some snes maybe if it has similar structure to the vc romfs?
    it also includes a bottom screen scalier although it is in Japanese.. just a heads up maybe we can have a look into it?
    [​IMG]
    games included

[​IMG]
    bottom screen with scalier

it also has 3d on some games maybe blargsnes could borrow some code from this 3ds game??

Kvnrdrguez likes this.
  9. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    This is really interesting.
    Too bad I don't have a 4.5 3DS.
    I really wanted to take a look in the GBA VC.
    I have an ambassador 3DS, and at least for those titles, it seems to work properly.

10. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i had a lil look at that game, but couldnt see where the roms where most of the files seemed to be "DARC" archives which open with 3dsexplorer.....but i couldnt see any roms really....unless i overlooked them

yeah this emulator is not the one the ambassador games use, apparently it was a sort of "beta" gba emulator that they dropped in favor of running the gba games on AGB_FIRM

11. AceyBwoi

AceyBwoi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2014
    Bedroom
    damn.. hmm maybe they are hidden somewhere i mean
    like it uses some sort of browser to load roms they have to be somewhere
    unless enabling the 3d code makes them in a different format and hidden from the naked eye lol...

12. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    So.. the Virtual Console is the 3DS' built-in emulator for running Virtual Console games obtained from the eShop, yes? And if that's correct, then what this thread is about is information on how to use the available tools to inject any ROM into the VC to be able to play them instead of being limited to using the VC to play purchased eShop VC games, right?

13. SunnyDelacote

SunnyDelacote GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    wait so gba games are yet to be compatible? and also.. can someone care to share a video? is more easy for the people who doesnt speak english..

14. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Does it work like a normal VC title? Can you universally pause gameplay, suspend gameplay, use a restore point, and still access the five Home apps?

If I recall correctly the official GBA VC could not even be paused universally.

15. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Yeah, pretty much. You still need a rather large rom running on a flashcard to get them working, though (Multiple roms if you want multiple games).

IronClouds likes this.
  16. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Thanks for the response. I've read through the instructions and it seems pretty obvious this is in its very early stages. Promising that it's possible, but only for the most dedicated of gamers at the moment (not complaining!). It'll be interesting to see where the scene is at 6 months from now :)

Huntereb likes this.
  17. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

A lot of people are really getting into decrypting and re-encrypting games now (And I plan on joining them after a certain helpful tool is released). Lots of fun is generating for the future, it's just unfortunate it still requires a shifty Flashcard to work.

IronClouds likes this.
  18. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah they work like normal VC games, pause save states etc....but i can't stress enough, the software emulator is pretty much unusablely slow and buggy
    yeah tbh i was only playing with it for fun to see what works with it etc....for someone wanting to actually play NES games, you would probably have more success with 3DNES...albeit without sound....but in due time, this is more like comparing VC rom injections on wii to the normal homebrew emulators, the homebrew emulators are pretty much better all around, but for the moment there is no 3DS mode gameboy emulators, so there is that

IronClouds likes this.
  19. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

And I doubt it would run well if there was one. :P

20. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    a homebrew GB/C emulator would probably be pretty decent, we aint talking N64 here :rofl2: