The Game Awards 2015 Nominees and Categories

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by chavosaur, Nov 20, 2015.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    [​IMG]
    Our year is coming to a close friends, and very soon it will be time to fight tooth and nail to decide the one true question.

What is the Game of the Year for 2015?

The Game Awards has posted their nominees for multiple categories, which I will be listing in each below.
    Very soon we will most likely have our own polls as well for seperate categories deciding what the GBAtemp GOTY will be, but for now, let's use these lists to take a retrospective on all of the amazing things that came out this year!

And don't forget, the year isn't QUITE over yet, but for Game Awards standards, the cutoff for nomination was November 20th, 2015.

BEST INDIE GAME

BEST NARRATIVE

Best Performance

Best Shooter

Best RPG

Best Family Game

Best Multiplayer

Developer of The Year

Best Mobile/Handheld Game

Best Score/Soundtrack

Games for Impact

Best Action/Adventure

Best Fighting Game

Best Sports/Racing Game

Best Art Direction

AND LASTLY GAME OF THE YEAR,
    Which I decided not to spoiler as it is the biggest decision.

• Bloodborne
    • Fallout 4
    • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    • Super Mario Maker
    • The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

That is all of the current nominations and categories for the 2015 Game Awards! What are your opinions? Be ready to make a decision soon, as our GBAtemp Game of The Year will be fast approaching!

HaloEffect17, Jiehfeng, Prans and 6 others like this.

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Aw man. I wish Undertale could've been nominated for GOTY. It was nominated for waaay more of those categories than Super Mario Maker was.

VinsCool and chavosaur like this.
  3. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Honestly out of all the categories, the thing I want to see most is Splatoon win best Shooter.

I love Halo, but I would be happier to see fucking Call of Duty, Destiny, and everything else lose to Splatoon.

Splatoon has had fantastic reception all year round and has really grown into its own, it absolutely deserves it.

LightyKD, HaloEffect17, orcid and 7 others like this.
  4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Undertale or Steins;Gate are my personal GOTY. As far as Indies go, Rocket League and Ori were fantastic, but Undertale was in a league of it's own, the cult following it's got should prove that.

This year was fairly sparse for shooters, and Splatoon is the only one that sticks out to me. I have a feeling Battlefront will win it, though. I would so enjoy seeing the popular shooters bite it to Nintendo's own kiddie shooter though.

The RPG category is a tough pick, but I'd give it to Fallout 4. Near endless hours of gameplay and content, it's a great game, but not GOTY-worthy.

Dev of the year should go to CD Projekt Red, they handled DLC in a great manner, and Witcher 3 was just all around solid. Mobile section really isn't that much of a fight, Monster Hunter 4 trumps the competition there, imo. As far as soundtracks go, Ori is the only game where I can recall pieces off the top of my head. Except for the trailer theme to Fallout 4. Darn that catchy song.

Games for impact? Undertale, easily. Youtube, Tumblr, everyone and their mother talked (and still is talking) about it.

Action Adventure games had an amazing year. I didn't play either MGS V or Rise of the Tomb Raider, but going off gameplay videos I've watched, they both look like the best in show.

As much as I like Bloodborne's art style, Ori and the Blind Forest's visuals were some of the best I've ever seen in a 2D game, I'd love to see it win this category.

Finally, GOTY out of those options, is Bloodborne, for me. Punishing yet fun, solid mechanics, fun gameplay, it did so much right.

VinsCool, chavosaur and endoverend like this.
  5. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Best Fighting Game
    • Guilty Gear XRD-SIGN-
    • Mortal Kombat X
    • Rise of Incarnates
    • Rising Thunder

Where are the good fighting games of 2015? ..they forgot to put them in the list

keven3477 and chavosaur like this.
  6. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I vouch for Undertale and Splatoon as well.

HaloEffect17 and ric. like this.
  7. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    I deserve outrage for not seeing Undertale for Best Soundtrack and Narrative! XD

I can understand Undertale not in for GOTY...... But I request Undertale for GOTY anyway. :P

8. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I'm thinking of getting a PS4, and I heard about that game. I'm interested in playing it.

I want to play Mortal Kombat X though, it looks fine to me, at least on the PS4.

I can't properly choose from any of the categories, I barely play video games, and all I have are Nintendo consoles and Sega Genesis. I never even played Mario Maker and Splatoon.

9. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Get a gaming PC. Undertale is also a damn good PC indie game. In terms of narrative and story. It even runs on toasters! :P

VinsCool likes this.
  10. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I have one, I just need to update my old 720p monitor. I may buy a new monitor instead, depends on the price and how much money I'll make by Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

11. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    Same! Did a deaf person play the game? I can't listen to the music alone without getting all emotional... The game is THAT powerful.
    I demand that Undertale should win every category! Yes, even best fighting/fps game. [​IMG]

VinsCool and chavosaur like this.
  12. rt141

rt141 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2011
    United States
    Let's see.. Undertale should win every category it's nominated in. LiS for narrative. Splatoon for best shooter, it's innovative, fun, appeals to everyone and handles DLC incredibly well. RPG should go for TW3, but F4 is gonna win even if it wasn't as ground breaking as TW3.
    Multiplayer... Splatoon!
    Best handheld game MH4. Ori and the Blind Forest has a great soundtrack as does the TW3. Hands down Ori wins best art direction though.
    Was a great year for gaming this year :3

GoTY The Witcher 3!

13. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    for the GOTY I can't make an honest vote because I've only played MGS 5.
    But it's so damn good that I would vote for it anyway.

T-hug and Jiehfeng like this.
  14. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somwhere you can never find.
    If xenoblade x was released before the deadline, it could probably win best art direction.

15. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    My top 3:

Bloodborne
    MGSV
    Fallout 4

16. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    I vote for Splatoon and MGSV.

17. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    This list really shows what a slow year it has been for gaming.
    Well aside from the fact most of the best games didn't make the list. Though that was kind of obvious by how many categories Undertale got tacked onto for lack of anything else.

My GOTY goes to Tales of Zestiria. Not much else I can really recall loving this year.

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I do not think I have played a game released this year so there is not much I can say there.
    On Fallout 4 I will wait for the DLC and bugfixes and with that it might be a candidate for GOTY 2016 -- I once saw a differences between as released and the eventual DLC and bugfixes and it was somewhat different. I am not sure how mario maker could be GOTY for me, I am biased against metal gear and I imagine I would great fun with boodborne and witcher 3 as I have enjoyed previous efforts from both companies and these are supposedly them firing on all cylinders. So much of this year was HD psbone remakes and tart ups though so I do not really have any other offerings if Just Cause 3 is not going to make the cutoff.

Surprised we have not seen moaning that handhelds got bundled with andrios.

Anyway I was wondering if this still suffered the taint of the VGAs. I will at least wait to see it (not live, I do enjoy my skip button and fastforward) before passing judgement though..

19. DragorianSword

DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Oct 31, 2008
    Belgium
    I'm so angry that they throw mobile and handheld games into one category.
    People still seem to treat handheld as inferior.

20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm kind of mad Undertale isn't nominated for best soundtrack, but my second choice would be Ori.
    I'm also kind of surprised Splatoon is nominated in so many categories, but I would love to see it beat the other shooters :)
    Undertale and Ori both deserve to win Best Indie Game, sadly only one of them can win. Ori has a very sad and touching story but so does Undertale. Ori should definitely win Best Art Direction though.