Gaming The death of the Nintendo DS and PSP is here

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So today, I might have seen the death of the merit of having a Nintendo DS and certainly the death of the worthless excuse that is the PSP.

An actual PC gaming hand held, could it have finally happened?

Now explain to me again, why is it we need the Nintendo 3DS with it's puny screens?

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
So today, I might have seen the death of the merit of having a Nintendo DS and certainly the death of the worthless excuse that is the PSP.

An actual PC gaming hand held, could it have finally happened?

Now explain to me again, why is it we need the Nintendo 3DS with it's puny screens?

XD i am sure this will fail

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because that's PC gaming which some people aren't a fan of and games on the DS/PSP can't be played properly on the PC 100% great through emulators.

There, I answered your question.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. This is a concept product that is very unlikely to hit markets (at least not for many years). It's basically irrelevant.

2. This is not handheld.

Sorry, I'm going to have to revoke your gamer punditry license.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Because the 3DS is actually getting launched and isn't just a concept piece?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
this is just a concept, and the only real change is the keyboard.
EDIT: oh er, and LCD Keyboards have been around for years, and while admittedly they don't integrate with games as well as this promises, they generally aren't used because they are inferior to regular keyboards both in physical factors (response time, tactile feedback etc..) and in value.

PC Gaming on a portable form factor will never work.

on a slightly related note, the 3DS looks ridiculous, will be rather overpriced and has underpowered hardware while the PSP2 is overpowered (although prolly better priced, i.e. they get less profit) considering that will likely get less developer support than it deserves.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Because the DS, PSP and soon the 3DS are supported by those who actually make games?
Because they are actually handheld consoles.
Brand loyalty? Ninty and Sony have and will remain to be the major gaming companies with microsoft toddling behind (that's coming from someone with a 360 and no PS3)
Who wants to play COD on the move?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The Pi said:
Because the DS, PSP and soon the 3DS are supported by those who actually make games?
Because they are actually a handheld console.
Brand loyalty? Ninty and Sony have and will remain to be the major gaming companies with mircosoft toddling behind (that's coming from someone with a 360 and no PS3)
Who wants to play COD on the move?
1) that point is invalid, as PC gaming gets far more support than on other platforms, even if this almost always starts out with bugfixes due to inefficient patches.
2) well this is Razer trying to join the netbook/portable pc gaming fad in their own unique way (because razer take pride in being...different). Personally I think that anyone trying to play pc games on a device that small is an idiot, as not only are the games never designed for a screen that small, but also the form factor doesn't really allow for much flexibility hardware wise.
3) Erm, wrong again, see point 1. You're presuming that the PC is a Microsoft console, whereas in reality that is far from the case. For example Steam is the most popular games distribution system and is supported by more developers than on any console - due to the fact that the PC is the easiest platform to develop for (no propriety SDKs) and also there are no license fees.

Although, these really are moot points because PC gaming is just that - personal computer gaming - it will never work on the move.
I can't see anyone realistically using one of these for anything other than showing off that they are an idiot with money to burn.

QUOTE(Bulit @ Jan 7 2011, 10:57 PM) What is this?
A mini netbook with a GPU?
Nope, there is no GPU present. The new Intel chipset's main advantage is that they now contain much better graphics processing cores - something that AMD is also adopting in the near future.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah it won't kill the Ds or the PSP .....but I certainly do want one
closedeyes.gif

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
In the mood for moaning so here I go...

1) I saw no reference to what OS was on the system, could be it's own OS which will take awhile to catch on with devs.
2) I agree they're idiots, I do not class that as handheld, if you can easily walk around while playing that's a handheld but that's just me.
3) I was actually talking about microsoft with the 360, PC gaming is on it's own.

Everything else I agree with, more or less.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even if this does come to the market, I strongly doubt it will really be a threat against the handheld market.
As interesting as it is, I don't think it's interesting enough for people to start throwing their other handhelds into the trash.

D

Deleted_171835

Looks good but it's just a concept.
Check out the OpenPandora. It's a powerful handheld gaming system that runs Linux and can emulate many games.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entire video, nay, the entire idea can be summed up by the lie that is the first 6 seconds of the video.

Have these people never heard of a laptop?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Pandora eh? Looks nothing like a Razer Switchblade.

Speaking of, I see no way that this product can ever kill hand-held consoles (like the 3DS or PSP2). If it does get released, it'll probably be severely underpowered (or have major heat issues), be awkward to use (part of the point of a mouse is to move the cursor without obstructing your view of the screen), and cost a fortune (or rather, more than the PS3 did at launch). The next generation hand-helds may be overpriced for a while, but it won't cost nearly as much as a Switchblade.

There's also the issue of battery life, and everybody knows how long the batteries of current hand-held consoles and smartphones last.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The Pandora is something else entirely, and after actually using one I can safely say that it is *not* worth your time or money. (I actually had one on pre-order). The support is bad, the hardware is buggy (seriously, nubs and keyboard don't work properly). Not to mention the first batch isn't even fully out yet - 3 years after it was announced.

Ontopic, it is true that laptops are awful for gaming, as I have already mentioned there are extreme limitations presented by the form factor. Graphics processing is generally inferior, as a dedicated card cannot be fit, processors are weaker than their desktop counterparts (though often more efficient) and most importantly, the cooling usually sucks.

I don't really think there is much more to be said here, it's a cool concept - but like all concepts the final product will be different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw