The canceled Shantae GBA game is getting revived over 20 years later

Shantae Advance started development in 2002, but sales of the original Game Boy Color game were abysmal, which didn't attract willing publishers. The hardware limitations of the time also hampered the development, so the project was canceled and shelved. More than 20 years after the fact, Wayforward is returning, and making Shantae GBA a reality. Titled Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution, it acts as a prequel to Shantae: Risky's Revenge. You can solve puzzles by rotating and shifting the world in order to progress. Wayforward also has a mode that takes advantage of link cables, allowing you to play connected with only a single copy of the game. Limited Run Games will be releasing it on an actual Game Boy Advance Cartridge.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
this is incredible, gba game in 2023? I was sure it happen sooner or later, future belongs to retro. I guess I could buy it.
Hey Nin... make an AGB great again (with that damn backlight).

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This is a game you need either a GBA model or a DS or DS lite to play, most people won't play multiplayer because the four person link cable is hard to get nowadays. Funny enough I got that one but not the two person one so I couldn't "patch" my GBA Pokemon games as patching doesn't work with the four GBA cable.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1689255112735.png

Jokes aside, great to see LRG, Matt and the WayForward team revive this game.
I didn't know that a GBA Shantae game even existed, so this is even more of a surprise to me lmao.

Also, I am quite liking this recent Game Boy resurgence. Trip World DX, Grimace's Birthday and now this is definitely giving me hope for more new GB games in the future.

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
Trophies
XP
Shantae combined sold about 3 million units, not a major franchise.

It's something that would only appeal to enthusiasts, not the mainstream public as a whole.

Metroidvania has never been widely successful in general, with most games having small budgets and middling sales.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

It's something that would only appeal to enthusiasts, not the mainstream public as a whole.

Metroidvania has never been widely successful in general, with most games having small budgets and middling sales.
Must make enough on other stuff for Wayforward to keep producing them, or they must be dirt cheap to make.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

3 million in sales is nothing to scoff at for a game produced by a tiny and independent game studio. Jet Set Radio only sold 1 million across all of the re-releases, and that had the might of SEGA pushing it as a platform-selling exclusive, at least initially. I for one buy every Shantae game I can get my hands on, I’m like a brand evangelist. Say what you will, but the gross majority of WayForward games are absolute bangers, it’s clear from their work that they love what they do.

Reactions: Axido

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
Trophies
XP
3 million in sales is nothing to scoff at for a game produced by a tiny and independent game studio. Jet Set Radio only sold 1 million across all of the re-releases, and that had the might of SEGA pushing it as a platform-selling exclusive, at least initially. I for one buy every Shantae game I can get my hands on, I’m like a brand evangelist. Say what you will, but the gross majority of WayForward games are absolute bangers, it’s clear from their work that they love what they do.
High quality, but small audience.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is unbelievably cool, can't wait to purchase and play :yaysp:
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 383104

Jokes aside, great to see LRG, Matt and the WayForward team revive this game.
I didn't know that a GBA Shantae game even existed, so this is even more of a surprise to me lmao.

Also, I am quite liking this recent Game Boy resurgence. Trip World DX, Grimace's Birthday and now this is definitely giving me hope for more new GB games in the future.
This is a different case, Starfox 2 was already a finished game but it was just never released officially until the SNES Classic. Shantae advance was never finished, only a small demo got built to show to potential publishers, which no one picked up, and now they're coming back to finish making the rest of the game that was never finished.

Lather

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
This should belong to the horizontal action game, but there are not enough hints and guidance on which transformation to use to pass the puzzle test or mini-game. In the end, the advantage of the action game "overall fluency" will be "thinking about which ability to use" and "Ability trial and error" process is completely interrupted.
this is why shantae look so fun but not so fun when you actually play this game.
They tried to replace the "killing minions with gorgeous transformation" gameplay with the "reasonable use of transformation" gameplay as the center of the entire game.

Last edited by Lather,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Understandable, considering it’s a platformer (more of a “kiddie” genre dominated by Mario and Sonic in a distant second place) that has adult themes and is more geared towards older gamers with member berries on the brain, hence me being an ambassador of the brand, spreading the love of genie dancing wherever possible.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Am I the only one to think this title is kind of dumb?
A risky revolution...As opposed to what? Revolutions aren't revolutions without risk, so the title just sounds like hitting the bottom of the alliteration barrel.

Other than that, I've got no opinion. Played a bit of a previous version. It was okay but not remarkable.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one of those "tilt the Gameboy to move things" games is kinda annoying and that was on the Gameboy Color; is not gonna be any better on a GBA.

Edit: Oh thank Thor, is not a gynoscope game apparently.
Even if they were using gyroscope, it would be much better nowdays. Seeing the gyro would be built into the cart, and be using more modern gyro tech.
Post automatically merged:

Am I the only one to think this title is kind of dumb?
A risky revolution...As opposed to what? Revolutions aren't revolutions without risk, so the title just sounds like hitting the bottom of the alliteration barrel.

Other than that, I've got no opinion. Played a bit of a previous version. It was okay but not remarkable.
This is basically the lost game between 1 and 2. Especially seeing that the second game started off with the characters knowing each other, even though we had never seen them before. This game will fill all that in.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Even if they were using gyroscope, it would be much better nowdays

No matter the tech, it does get annoying. The novelty of having to move the Gameboy around gets tiresome after a few hours, just like people got tired of motion controllers.

Look at the Switch, how many games actually make use of all the fancy options of the Joycons? Actually very few of them.

Also using that tech means those games are doomed to not get ported or the port will suck.

Tearaway for the PS Vita was a wonderful game; Tearaway for the PS4 sucked.

It wasn't packaged with the system in most of the world actually, I had to buy it separately. And let's not get started with the GBA to gamecube link cable that thing was just impossible to get around here, heck they even sold Pokemon Box without it, you know Pokemon Box a game that's completely useless without that cable!

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter the tech, it does get annoying. The novelty of having to move the Gameboy around gets tiresome after a few hours, just like people got tired of motion controllers.

Look at the Switch, how many games actually make use of all the fancy options of the Joycons? Actually very few of them.

Also using that tech means those games are doomed to not get ported or the port will suck.

Tearaway for the PS Vita was a wonderful game; Tearaway for the PS4 sucked.

It wasn't packaged with the system in most of the world actually, I had to buy it separately. And let's not get started with the GBA to gamecube link cable that thing was just impossible to get around here, heck they even sold Pokemon Box without it, you know Pokemon Box a game that's completely useless without that cable!
I use the gyro in literally every switch game that supports it. They all work very well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ