The canceled Shantae GBA game is getting revived over 20 years later

Shantae Advance started development in 2002, but sales of the original Game Boy Color game were abysmal, which didn't attract willing publishers. The hardware limitations of the time also hampered the development, so the project was canceled and shelved. More than 20 years after the fact, Wayforward is returning, and making Shantae GBA a reality. Titled Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution, it acts as a prequel to Shantae: Risky's Revenge. You can solve puzzles by rotating and shifting the world in order to progress. Wayforward also has a mode that takes advantage of link cables, allowing you to play connected with only a single copy of the game. Limited Run Games will be releasing it on an actual Game Boy Advance Cartridge.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I already have 2 Limited Run games on order, what's a third honestly? I'll get this game for sure!

(Doom Eternal was pre-ordered almost as year ago, and still hasn't shipped yet btw... Never had to wait this long for a game from them before, and it's a bit ridiculous tbh.)

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Uh, while thinking about this, I just remembered:
https://www.unseen64.net/2018/01/08/shantae-32-bit-playstation-1-pc-cancelled/
Wonder if perhaps this too will see the light of day eventually, lol?

Am I the only one to think this title is kind of dumb?
A risky revolution...As opposed to what? Revolutions aren't revolutions without risk, so the title just sounds like hitting the bottom of the alliteration barrel.
It's like a pun 'cus like the main rival of Shantae is named Risky, lol.

Reactions: Taleweaver

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one to think this title is kind of dumb?
A risky revolution...As opposed to what? Revolutions aren't revolutions without risk, so the title just sounds like hitting the bottom of the alliteration barrel.

Other than that, I've got no opinion. Played a bit of a previous version. It was okay but not remarkable.
The main villain's name is Risky and she's rotating the world in this game so Risky's Revolution.
Edit: I should really look at all replies before posting mine lol.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I admit I have no idea what you're talking about.
I owned the OG cartridge in the 90s as a kid, but I lost the game.

I rediscovered Shantae in 2010 when I got a DS Flashcart, with Lameboy in it and I've been loving the game since.
I like well developed characters, kinda tomboy-ish in escence (which is why Daisy is also my fave Mario character) so it's natural for me to be excited about a brand new game featuring an old favorite.

As a matter of fact, Shantae: Risky's Revenge is what inspired me to learn how to code games... haven't fullfiled that goal yet (still learning) but Shantae has been a positive influence to me.

the only reason I play shantea because she is sexy
The duality of man.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
This just proves what i already said before, and that is taht... Just because a console is 5 years old, it doesnt mean developers must develop for new systems, no one is beating them to do so. You can literally make games for any system, even NES at any point, even after 50 years, but why they just stop to release games after 5 years of console life is just stupid.,...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: