The canceled Shantae GBA game is getting revived over 20 years later

Shantae Advance started development in 2002, but sales of the original Game Boy Color game were abysmal, which didn't attract willing publishers. The hardware limitations of the time also hampered the development, so the project was canceled and shelved. More than 20 years after the fact, Wayforward is returning, and making Shantae GBA a reality. Titled Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution, it acts as a prequel to Shantae: Risky's Revenge. You can solve puzzles by rotating and shifting the world in order to progress. Wayforward also has a mode that takes advantage of link cables, allowing you to play connected with only a single copy of the game. Limited Run Games will be releasing it on an actual Game Boy Advance Cartridge.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You can solve puzzles by rotating and shifting the world in order to progress.
And Yet It Moves comes to mind.
Damn! I haven't been this excited before.

I love Shantae, and I definitely can't wait to play this.

EDIT: Oof! The trailer didn't showed us anything about this rotating gameplay mechanic.
This is so exciting!

Reactions: Kevbo and SaulFabre

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

EDIT: Oof! The trailer didn't showed us anything about this rotating gameplay mechanic.
This is so exciting!
I guess you love her because of how her name is being pronounced, it sure is close to some kind of anime "art", right? :creep:

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I guess you love her because of how her name is being pronounced, it sure is close to some kind of anime "art", right? :creep:
I admit I have no idea what you're talking about.
I owned the OG cartridge in the 90s as a kid, but I lost the game.

I rediscovered Shantae in 2010 when I got a DS Flashcart, with Lameboy in it and I've been loving the game since.
I like well developed characters, kinda tomboy-ish in escence (which is why Daisy is also my fave Mario character) so it's natural for me to be excited about a brand new game featuring an old favorite.

As a matter of fact, Shantae: Risky's Revenge is what inspired me to learn how to code games... haven't fullfiled that goal yet (still learning) but Shantae has been a positive influence to me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The GBA now old enough to see the unofficial commercial games similar to the Dreamcast?

Anyway never heard about the GBA effort before. They do make some nice games that push hardware somewhat so hopefully something fun here is the result.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I admit I have no idea what you're talking about.
I owned the OG cartridge in the 90s as a kid, but I lost the game.

I rediscovered Shantae in 2010 when I got a DS Flashcart, with Lameboy in it and I've been loving the game since.
I like well developed characters, kinda tomboy-ish in escence (which is why Daisy is also my fave Mario character) so it's natural for me to be excited about a brand new game featuring an old favorite.

As a matter of fact, Shantae: Risky's Revenge is what inspired me to learn how to code games... haven't fullfiled that goal yet (still learning) but Shantae has been a positive influence to me.
That's cool and all...except it didn't come out in the 90s. In fact the first game was released in frickin' 2002 lol

Reactions: JuanMena

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

This is so exciting!
Rotating stuff? Exciting?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Shantae Advance started development in 2002, but sales of the original Game Boy Color game were abysmal, which didn't attract willing publishers. The hardware limitations of the time also hampered the development, so the project was canceled and shelved. More than 20 years after the fact, Wayforward is returning, and making Shantae GBA a reality. Titled Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution, it acts as a prequel to Shantae: Risky's Revenge. You can solve puzzles by rotating and shifting the world in order to progress. Wayforward also has a mode that takes advantage of link cables, allowing you to play connected with only a single copy of the game. Limited Run Games will be releasing it on an actual Game Boy Advance Cartridge.

I have one of those "tilt the Gameboy to move things" games is kinda annoying and that was on the Gameboy Color; is not gonna be any better on a GBA.

Edit: Oh thank Thor, is not a gynoscope game apparently.

Last edited by raxadian,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum