Gaming the best rpg for wii

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's not a legitimate answer. There are RPG's where leveling up doesn't apply.
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, (which is why most RPG are storydriven) either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. (Leveling characters, skills and shit) Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

That's the definition of an RPG. Btw I would love to know an RPG that doesn't include ANY of these elements.

Personally, I blame SNES' Super Mario RPG for all the confusion; because it wasn't an RPG either. Somehow after this game, anything fantasy-esque was awarded the RPG moniker. Perhaps OP should change the title to "the best ARPG for the Wii," as this would also include the RPGs already listed here as well. Just a suggestion. BTW, are we even up to 10 yet?

Dude, Super Mario RPG is an RPG. Hell, it defines it.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why do people assume a game is only a RPG when its about leveling up a skill or charater?
because on nintendos website they themselves have said it is action/adventure. whatever they say it is than THAT is WHAT it is

Super Mario RPG was an ARPG, as are all Zelda games.

:lol: :rofl: :rofl2:

whysostupid.png

Reactions: gamefan5

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario RPG was an ARPG, as are all Zelda games.

It was a turn based RPG with timing elements. How you can correlate Super Mario RPG, a game with a clear RPG structure (such as leveling) to Zelda (which shares nothing with RPGs) is really beyond me.

Zelda is an action adventure game and there's nothing wrong with it being that. I think people are just trying to stick a RPG sticker on it to cover for their insecurities about the past three generations of Nintendo consoles. They have little to no RPGs, oh no. They're not wellrounded consoles in terms of genres but they have their strong points. Like platformers.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, (which is why most RPG are storydriven) either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. (Leveling characters, skills and shit) Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

That's the definition of an RPG. Btw I would love to know an RPG that doesn't include ANY of these elements.
Dude, Super Mario RPG is an RPG. Hell, it defines it.
As long as you're busy quoting Wiki, why don't you go look up Super Mario RPG as well. Or do you only quote Wiki when it suits your needs?

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As long as you're busy quoting Wiki, why don't you go look up Super Mario RPG as well. Or do you only quote Wiki when it suits your needs?

DUde, I don't need a wiki to actually know that Super Mario RPG is an RPG! *facepalm
Srsly, your failing of realizing a clear RPG structure in front of your eyes, appalls me. It's ridiculous. Why don't u search on the Internet if it's an RPG, eh?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Role-playing video games (commonly referred to as role-playing games or RPGs, as well as computer RPGs or CRPGs) are a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a protagonist as this character lives immersed in a fictional world. Many role playing games have origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games[1] such as Dungeons & Dragons, using much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics. The player in RPGs controls one character, or several adventuring party members, fulfilling one or many quests. The major similarities with pen-and-paper games involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion. Electronic medium removes the necessity for a gamemaster and increases combat resolution speed. RPGs have evolved from simple text-based console-window games into visually rich 3D experiences.

Zelda does not have:
  • Developed story telling and narrative elements (argue all you want but the plots are both predictable and filled with one-dimensional characters)
  • Player character development (this does not mean "Getting a gadget")
  • Complexity
  • Replayability
  • Immersion
EDIT: This is the full intro paragraph on Role playing video games on Wikipedia.

Reactions: gamefan5

Foxhounder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda does not have:
  • Developed story telling and narrative elements (argue all you want but the plots are both predictable and filled with one-dimensional characters)
  • Player character development (this does not mean "Getting a gadget")
  • Complexity
  • Replayability
  • Immersion
EDIT: This is the full intro paragraph on Role playing video games on Wikipedia.

Oh, Wikipedia huh. Nice source.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, Wikipedia huh. Nice source.

Sorry I couldn't quote the textbook on role playing video games.

Also Wikipedia often cites their sources and serves as a manifest of multiple bits of information for a general overview of a topic. Why Wikipedia has been hammered into everyone's head that it's "unreliable" is beyond me.

It's not scholarly or peer reviewed but if you want a general overview on a topic it's very reliable.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Foxhounder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ironic, isn't it? The GBA had some good RPGs to be sure (Golden Sun for example), but too bad the Snes to GBA ports were horribly watered down in the audio department.
Be that as it may, I still prefer 1-6 on the GBA because they look beautiful and the translations are happen to be on par, I even rate them higher than the PS1 versions. However, the remakes of 1,2, and 4 for PSP are pretty high quality as well. Oh I'm referring to Final Fantasy btw. One gmae I prefer over the gba counterpart is the Zelda game because its looks way better on the SNES.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be that as it may, I still prefer 1-6 on the GBA because they look beautiful and the translations are happen to be on par, I even rate them higher than the PS1 versions. However, the remakes of 1,2, and 4 for PSP are pretty high quality as well. Oh I'm referring to Final Fantasy btw. One gmae I prefer over the gba counterpart is the Zelda game because its looks way better on the SNES.

The translations are a lot better, and the graphics on Final Fantasy I and II look pretty close to the PSX versions, which is nice. Final Fantasies IV to VI are a lot better than the PSX version; better sound, no long loading times and extra dungeons, but VI was the buggiest unfortunately, the Mode 7 3D effects were poorly emulated and sluggish, IV and V had no framerate issues though. Glad hackers restored the color palettes back to their Snes counterparts and not the over-illuminated GBA.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry I couldn't quote the textbook on role playing video games.

Also Wikipedia often cites their sources and serves as a manifest of multiple bits of information for a general overview of a topic. Why Wikipedia has been hammered into everyone's head that it's "unreliable" is beyond me.

It's not scholarly or peer reviewed but if you want a general overview on a topic it's very reliable.
I am actually wondering if he ever played multiple RPG and made research before he made that statement. XD

Foxhounder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The translations are a lot better, and the graphics on Final Fantasy I and II look pretty close to the PSX versions, which is nice. Final Fantasies IV to VI are a lot better than the PSX version; better sound, no long loading times and extra dungeons, but VI was the buggiest unfortunately, the Mode 7 3D effects were poorly emulated and sluggish, IV and V had no framerate issues though. Glad hackers restored the color palettes back to their Snes counterparts and not the over-illuminated GBA.
Im definitely going to have to check that out because 6 did look blend on GBA...it just looks like it lost a lot of color quality, or are you referring to Zelda?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...