The Atari 2600 is going to be a thousand years old

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean earth, right? What's a mere 600 years, or even 2600 years to the universe?
An if a tree falls on the ship of Theseus and breaks my grandfather's axe that is resting on a table damaged enough to barely stand up afterwards debate... interesting.

The universe blinking out of existence (simulation ends, big rip, monster black hole*... take your pick) would be the more sure fire way but earth being destroyed* along with every extant atari, historical records (the radio signals into space, which would presumably include code transmitted at the end of programs to reverse engineer the language from, generally fade below background noise before too great a radius, we will assume no visiting aliens either) and such could conceivably mean that the Atari 2600 would not be a thing any more in the universe (or at least the philosophical equivalent of the Hubble volume). While normally I have some time for the three deaths thing** and Thomas Carlyle great men of history approach then for these purposes I would have to argue that even if the information is not there it did once exist and that would count.
We would have the Boltzmann brain problem to contend with where an infinite universe would eventually have to have particles arrange, transmute or ping into existence in the form of an Atari 2600 (or near enough as makes no difference) which is definitely the short end of that Boltzmann brain contemplation but that is generally not a terribly interesting problem.

*we will also skip the debate over black holes and information paradox/2d imprint of information by saying big supernova, fusion bomb or something or that the information paradox is true.

**for the unfamiliar
David M. Eagleman said:
There are three deaths. The first is when the body ceases to function. The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Randqalan

The Wheel of Time Turns
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An if a tree falls on the ship of Theseus and breaks my grandfather's axe that is resting on a table damaged enough to barely stand up afterwards debate... interesting.

The universe blinking out of existence (simulation ends, big rip, monster black hole*... take your pick) would be the more sure fire way but earth being destroyed* along with every extant atari, historical records (the radio signals into space, which would presumably include code transmitted at the end of programs to reverse engineer the language from, generally fade below background noise before too great a radius, we will assume no visiting aliens either) and such could conceivably mean that the Atari 2600 would not be a thing any more in the universe (or at least the philosophical equivalent of the Hubble volume). While normally I have some time for the three deaths thing** and Thomas Carlyle great men of history approach then for these purposes I would have to argue that even if the information is not there it did once exist and that would count.
We would have the Boltzmann brain problem to contend with where an infinite universe would eventually have to have particles arrange, transmute or ping into existence in the form of an Atari 2600 (or near enough as makes no difference) which is definitely the short end of that Boltzmann brain contemplation but that is generally not a terribly interesting problem.

*we will also skip the debate over black holes and information paradox/2d imprint of information by saying big supernova, fusion bomb or something or that the information paradox is true.

**for the unfamiliar
My 4th when I come back to haunt your ass.🤣

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bold of you to assume the universe will last that long.
Given how many billions of years that have already passed, assuming the universe wouldn't last another 2570 or so years is a much bigger assumption

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 nope