Why are console wars still a thing?

Vetusomaru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It's really embarrassing to see old gamers from my generation (or even older) still having the mentality of a teenage fanboy from Sega Vs Nintendo console war era. Not that I ever took console/brand wars seriously even as a kid despite preferring Nintendo over Sega (I still loved Sega as well since they made great games). The only brands I was snobbish against them were Atari (at consoles at least, since they never made anything worthy besides Atari 2600) and Microsoft (because of Bill Gates' arrogant attitude at the games console market).

etuev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're still a thing because corporate worshipping will always be a thing. It's literally what we are incentivised to do since our economies are consumption based. So they will try to defend and support their purchases. Console wars are just a minor side product of that.

Sometimes it's due to someone having an emotional connection to a corporate entity due to their childhood or nostalgia. This is silly but surprisingly common. People conflate attachment to and appreciation of the actual work of art (the game in this instance) with the company that published it (Sony/Nintendo/MS).

Console wars will never end since people will always find stupid stuff to argue over instead of actually engaging in the hobby they purport to be so invested in haha

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really embarrassing to see old gamers from my generation (or even older) still having the mentality of a teenage fanboy from Sega Vs Nintendo console war era. Not that I ever took console/brand wars seriously even as a kid despite preferring Nintendo over Sega (I still loved Sega as well since they made great games). The only brands I was snobbish against them were Atari (at consoles at least, since they never made anything worthy besides Atari 2600) and Microsoft (because of Bill Gates' arrogant attitude at the games console market).
People just need something to argue about. That seems to be the only reason. People just enjoy complaining and arguing.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Fanboy(ism)

Nothing really more to it. People love their tribalism. Home consoles (Switch excluded for obvious reasons) are all relatively similarly spec'd x86 computers at this point.

The only real debate is "which platform has the better exclusive games" and that's just a matter of preference.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
At least its mostly just petty squabbling with gamers. Just look at sports fans, especially English football fans. It often ends up with actual fights, destruction of property,etc,etc.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because people are dumb and too attached to brands and plastic boxes of silicon and circuits.

As a more serious answer though, it's more or less tribalism expressed in a modern and secular way, as people want to be a part of and represent what's imprinted on them. It's actually disturbing to me how people seem to form such parasocial relationships with literal corporations, to be honest, but it's nothing new under the sun in the grand scheme.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it was usually about what system had the most games I wanted to play at the time, NES VS Master System I like the NES library the best, not that there was no games on the Master System I wanted to play. I just enjoyed the NES library more. SNES VS Genesis was a much closer race for me, I enjoyed a lot of games for both systems. Really though these days with emulation and so many ways to play all the systems it's mostly about trolling, it's fun to get a rise out of the die hards.

I guess my opinion is just enjoy them all and have fun :)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
People can't afford every console out there (fair enough, shit's expensive yo) so they're overcompensating for their FOMO.

So they simp for what they have and "sour grapes" what they don't.

And that's it.

Reactions: Skelletonike

JackandDick1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People need to self justify the time and money invested. They feel vindicated if others agree, and hostile when others don't. The correct approach is to buy all consoles and remain agnostic.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
The correct approach is to buy all consoles and remain agnostic.
I agree with you until this last sentence. The correct approach, in my opinion, is actually to buy what you like but not to worry about what other people buy or like. You needn't buy everything to not partake in the silly squabbling.

Reactions: SunsetFelid

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
It's really embarrassing to see old gamers from my generation (or even older) still having the mentality of a teenage fanboy from Sega Vs Nintendo console war era.

People shouldn't be talking about competition regarding the current time of gaming at this point. Unless you're talking about Sony and Microsoft, there's not much competition going as far as to dominate the whole console market. I assume from my knowledge that MS is trying to do it with aquiring NIntendo and all that jazz, but Sony ain't doing anything nor so as Nintendo themselves.

People who are still am thinking about competing nowadays are just plain ol dumb.

Reactions: SunsetFelid

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's left for console "wars" anyway?

PlayStation/Xbox are essentially the same, multiplatform consoles, and Nintendo uses outdated hardware with some cool exclusives. Who's the winner? None of them, imo. Just go with what you like to play.

Nintendo used to be my favorite since you'd get the whole game and so you'd just insert and play, but now you have to also download patches, DLC (optional), and if you want to play online then you have to pay. :/

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Console wars MEANT something when you were comparing the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive to the Super Nintendo.

It really stopped mattering when the XBox 360 and PS3 came out.

Nowadays, it comes down to what your friends play on, and which controller you like better.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's embarrassing to see grown men talk about console wars as if it's a real thing. Console wars ended with PS3/360/Wii. Nintendo isn't in competition with anyone because no one else makes a console aimed specifically at children. Sony isn't in competition with anyone because they have exclusives & all Microsoft games come to PC.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's embarrassing to see grown men talk about console wars as if it's a real thing. Console wars ended with PS3/360/Wii. Nintendo isn't in competition with anyone because no one else makes a console aimed specifically at children. Sony isn't in competition with anyone because they have exclusives & all Microsoft games come to PC.
Nintendo fanboys are somewhat the worst ones of the bunch.

They praise Nintendo games for never losing their value as if that's good for the consumer... No, it's not. People are just not gonna buy it and if they want to play it then they may end up pirating it because of the stupid prices.

And the LEGO fanboys... Those get annoyed when others call the Lego blocks/bricks simply as "Legos" (I do too). lol

I watched this cop video yesterday and it made me chuckle how one of the cop cars was a Tesla and they too call it Legos.

A Tesla cop car. lmao

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
if you want to play online then you have to pay.

You can also just stick to Nintendo systems before the WiiU but you're left without much options cause you've probably played all of the games you've played in the past and the replay value decreases over time

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol