ROM Hack [THE] 3DS Translation Request Topic

zzzzzzzzzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I can do to help:
As the Japanese is simple, I can do some translation work. I can also do image editing and translation. It's the hacking that's the problem. I haven't been able to decrypt the game or even get access to the files.

Actually it looks like the game's files aren't encrypted. Most text is stored in .lua files which can easily be edited with a text processor like Notepad++ and most images are saved as .txp which are really just LZ11 compressed CTPK files.
ddrS5vB.png

(The screenshot tool wasn't working properly so I had to take a picture with my phone...)

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually it looks like the game's files aren't encrypted. Most text is stored in .lua files which can easily be edited with a text processor like Notepad++ and most images are saved as .txp which are really just LZ11 compressed CTPK files.
ddrS5vB.png

(The screenshot tool wasn't working properly so I had to take a picture with my phone...)

Whoa, nice! Though what I meant is I personally was unable to decrypt the game to get access to those files. It's nice to know that the game is compatible with English text in other places rather than just in song names, though.

Really the only problem seems to be the spacing between letters, not sure how it'd be to go about fixing that unless it's something that can only be done with ASM hacking... Heh, too bad this isn't like so many other 3DS games and uses some default 3DS variable width (half-width?) font like Beyond the Labyrinth and Great Ace Attorney.

Would you be able to PM me the text and image files? Or at least some of them?

Last edited by AttackOtter,

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Game Name: Shin Megami Tensei IV Final
Developer/Publisher: Atlus
Release: 10th of February 2016
Genre: RPG

Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV_Final.png

Does it have lots of text?
Yes.
Why I don't think this will come out in the West?
Atlus has been silent on news so far, and when discussing upcoming titles for 2016, there was no mention of this game, which is strange, because it's a popular title.
What is it about?
You're a person caught up in modern Tokyo, which is overrun by demons. You and your mother are killed, but a strange deity of sorts revives you and gives you a device which allows you to interact with demons. You can kill them, deal with them, ally them or even beg them for money. In this game, Lucifer and YHWH (God) return, and as a result, some gods have formed an alliance named "the polytheistic alliance" or something led by Krishna.
Popularity in Japan:
Decent, it's not Monster Hunter, but it does move more units than most other "major" releases.
Screenshots:
(Not many screenshots because the game is pretty fresh off the presses)
SMT-IV-Final-Scan-5.jpg
20151011_053157_thumb.png
SMT4F_Fami-shot_10-07-15_001.jpg
56446da08521f.jpg

Some of the many deities in the game:
2791877-007.jpg
SMT4F_Fami-shot_10-07-15_003.jpg
Daguza-SMT-IV-Final.jpg
190201_2545907250.jpg
Videos:

Why I think it needs to be translated?
One of the best RPG series ever, and this game is looking like a big improvement to SMT4, which was already pretty good. Rebalanced, better portraits, more interesting story, smirking fixed (thank god), this is a criminally underrated franchise which often gets overlooked by its spin-off Persona, which is sad.
What I can do to help:
Not much, I don't speak Japanese, but I would gladly test the game and look for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Although my grammar isn't perfect because English isn't my native language, my spelling is 99.99% on point.

Last edited by shahanshah,
Reactions: Ikari65

MrLuigix64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It might be easier to get help with this on the PSP translation forum because the PSP version's already received fan translations to other languages (like Italian) and the 3DS version hasn't had any progress in inserting text into the game.

Thanks for reply.
Ok, I have the feel that the 3DS version would be more hard to get translated, I really would like to see the game translated to Spanish, and I tried to do something with the PSP version years ago, I will try on the PSP secction, and hope to see if its the possibility to do the translation.

Last edited by MrLuigix64,

AT-LOWDeSu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes.
Atlus has been silent on news so far, and when discussing upcoming titles for 2016, there was no mention of this game, which is strange, because it's a popular title.
What is it about?
You're a person caught up in modern Tokyo, which is overrun by demons. You and your mother are killed, but a strange deity of sorts revives you and gives you a device which allows you to interact with demons. You can kill them, deal with them, ally them or even beg them for money. In this game, Lucifer and YHWH (God) return, and as a result, some gods have formed an alliance named "the polytheistic alliance" or something led by Krishna.
Popularity in Japan:
Decent, it's not Monster Hunter, but it does move more units than most other "major" releases.
Screenshots:
SMT-IV-Final-Scan-5.jpg
56446da08521f.jpg

2791877-007.jpg
Daguza-SMT-IV-Final.jpg
190201_2545907250.jpg
Videos:

One of the best RPG series ever, and this game is looking like a big improvement to SMT4, which was already pretty good. Rebalanced, better portraits, more interesting story, smirking fixed (thank god), this is a criminally underrated franchise which often gets overlooked by its spin-off Persona, which is sad.
What I can do to help:
Not much, I don't speak Japanese, but I would gladly test the game and look for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Although my grammar isn't perfect because English isn't my native language, my spelling is 99.99% on point.

This game is definitely getting a US release within the next 6 months.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This game is definitely getting a US release within the next 6 months.
SMT IV came out two months or so after the Japan release and I don't see why Atlus would withhold any information about this title when discussing upcoming releases. So it's not a given at all, really.

Tex_McBladeSword

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it looks like Medarot 7 and 8 were already pitched here, but I'd like to add my support as well as Medarot: DUAL (Which should be somewhat easier to translate since it's an action RPG)

9 just came out on xmas, and a pseudo-sequel to DUAL is scheduled for a March release. We'll never officially see these games overseas as the current owners of the series just arent interested. Natsume, who published the few english Medabots games, have been trying to contract out localization through numerous companies with no luck. I am a huge fan of the series and have played through most of the games (Including the aforementioned titles) and I would play them again in a second if I knew what the characters were saying.

Saying it plays like Pokemon is kind of reaching, almost like saying Digimon World Dusk and Dawn play like Pokemon.

It's hard to explain as it's not really like any other battle system that I am aware of. Here's a PV video of 8 to give you a general idea though

DUAL and Girl's Mission (The game coming out in March) take a more action-based style like so

They are all great games, but to be honest even in Japan "Cult-Following" is probably the best you could say about it, at least judging by general sales. I'm actually a long-time member of Project Rising Beetle, which is one of the only (if not THE only) English Medarot community. I'm also one of the only people in the western hemisphere to be a licenced (as in, I have a physical card) Medarot Fan Club member, so as you can imagine I would be absolutely ecstatic if someone with the necessary skills would pick one of these up.

Our group has slowly but surely been translating the original Medarot for the Game Boy, but we don't have the abilities to even attempt a 3DS translation on our own...

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SMT IV came out two months or so after the Japan release and I don't see why Atlus would withhold any information about this title when discussing upcoming releases. So it's not a given at all, really.
Aksys most likely has their hands full with other projects at the moment. SMT4Final wouldn't really be all that high on their priority list since it's a sequel to SMT4, rather than a new Persona game. But the franchise as a whole is extremely profitable for them so them not bringing this over would be weird.

Genm1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Name: Corpse Party Blood Covered: Repeated Fear
Developer/Publisher: Team GrisGris 5pb
Release: July 30, 2015
Genre: Survival Horror Adventure

Yes it does have lots of text because of the multiple endings

Because its JP only i think
What is it about?
Surviving a haunted school after some stundents make a strange ritual that sent them there
Popularity in Japan:

it keeps being popular in japan since it is a good horror game and i brings back the escense of a rpg game
Screenshots:
3DS-Corpse-Party-Repeated-Fear-Teaser-Site.jpg

Corpse-Party-02.jpg

b.jpg

5cf8f3130e52f5c61238e250adf23594.jpg

Videos:

Because it can be a great game for all of us to play more than once since it has multiple endings
What I can do to help:
Just the translation since i cant do it, i dont have experience for that kind of stuff

Last edited by Genm1,

Aymericard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Yes.
What is it about?
Popularity in Japan:
Screenshots:
SMT-IV-Final-Scan-5.jpg
56446da08521f.jpg

2791877-007.jpg
Daguza-SMT-IV-Final.jpg
190201_2545907250.jpg
Videos:

What I can do to help:

I just wanna let you know that I'm currently working on it.
Right now I've been able to translate some menus, graphical stuff on the map (like the enter, go up, go down, relics interactions) and I've been able to translate item names and demons. I'll post screenshots tomorrow if I have time.

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Right now I've been able to translate some menus, graphical stuff on the map (like the enter, go up, go down, relics interactions) and I've been able to translate item names and demons. I'll post screenshots tomorrow if I have time.
My hero

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Should have asked, are you planning on translating everything? Do you know approximately how much time that would take? Games like Fire Emblem have taken very long to be translated.

Aymericard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Should have asked, are you planning on translating everything? Do you know approximately how much time that would take? Games like Fire Emblem have taken very long to be translated.
I'm planning on translating the menus/items/demons first but it'd be hard for me to translate the scenario as I just know basic Japanese.
So I'd need help for that but I'm developing tools to easily translate everything. If a localization isn't revealed soon it's very likely that it won't get any at all so I guess some people would be willing to help then.

Aymericard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
By the way, here are some screenshots :
1456013964-top-0000.png

1456013964-top-0001.png

These are the translations of the interactions on the map, I used SMT4 ones so they're in orange instead of blue but I'll fix that when I can
1456013964-top-0002.png

1456013964-top-0003.png

I also translated all the demon types and tried to translate a demon name, I'll translate every name pretty soon.
1456013964-top-0004.png

1456013964-bot-0004.png

I also translated the save dialogs.
I had to change the game's font to SMT4's one so latin alphabet displays correctly. It looks kinda ugly sometimes but it'll be alright overall.

Last edited by Aymericard,
Reactions: shahanshah

Yenta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Game Name: Time Travellers
Developer/Publisher:
Level-5
Release: July 12, 2012
Genre: Visual Novel, Interactive Movie

Very much a story-orientated game, so yep

Well it came out almost 4 years ago, and there hasn't been any word of it making it out here, nor has there been huge interest in bringing it over compared to other JP titles, so...

What is it about?
In 2013, a mysterious hole, called "Lost Hole", emerged from the sky, and along with it, came an enormous explosion that devastated the central Tokyo area and claimed the lives of many. Eighteen years later on April 28, 2031, in a newly rebuilt metropolis, a new event is about to occur, one that could change the fate of the world forever.

The game takes place in a rebuilt central Tokyo. Technology has greatly advanced since the event that took place eighteen years ago, evident by the holographic signs that filled the streets. A building called "Space Elevator" can be seen rising from Tokyo Bay, with the height of two thousands meters above the city. This particular building is what powers the city, although exactly how it is able to generate energy is a mystery.

(hey i know i just got it off wikipedia but DANGIT IT'S SOMETHIN)

Popularity in Japan:
Poor. Both the PSV and 3DS versions got into the top 10 in software sales on their first week (18,386 sales, when both versions are combined together), but it didn't last long. The PSP version, out a week later, completely flopped, and Akihiro Hino (The Level-5 boss) had hopes for it to sell 1M on 3DS or at least 500K on all 3 platforms, which it didn't even come close to. Famitsu gave it a 36/40 (9/9/9/9), which is pretty damn impressive
Screenshots:
original.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Videos:

Well, this might not be the most specific answer, but it turns out that it technically HAS been translated, by a kind ol' chap called Zarkobot, on the Fuwanovel forums. He translated the game via a YouTube transcript with subtitles for cutscenes and spoken word for text boxes. However, he said he couldn't make a patch for it as he didn't have the technical skills. So I'm wondering if, if somebody got permission to use his translation, would it be possible for someone to apply it to the game itself? It's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but it's an idea

As for the game itself, it's one of the few recent Level-5 games to be unreleased in the West. There aren't many interactive visual novels like this on 3DS, to my knowledge, so it'd be interesting to see what kind of reputation it could make for itself if Westerners could check it out. Not to mention the narrative is written by Jirou Ishii, who also directed 428: Fusa Sareta Shibata de for Wii, which received a perfect 40/40 from Famitsu upon release, and produced 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for DS

What I can do to help:
Alas, I've got absolutely no programming skills myself, so, unfortunately, I don't think I could do much :(

Last edited by Yenta,

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm planning on translating the menus/items/demons first but it'd be hard for me to translate the scenario as I just know basic Japanese.
So I'd need help for that but I'm developing tools to easily translate everything. If a localization isn't revealed soon it's very likely that it won't get any at all so I guess some people would be willing to help then.
I'm beginning to lose hope for a localization, really. The game might be a bit too controversial for the current NoA's taste, and Atlus USA seems to care more about Persona now than anything else. Maybe you can get some people to help you if you make a thread.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm beginning to lose hope for a localization, really. The game might be a bit too controversial for the current NoA's taste, and Atlus USA seems to care more about Persona now than anything else. Maybe you can get some people to help you if you make a thread.
NoA has no say in what games get released on 3DS that aren't first party titles. If it were a first party title, NoA wouldn't even attempt to release it unless NoE translated it first (like with Fatal Frame 5).

The reason we haven't gotten localization news is most likely because the localization is probably still in the early stages, and they're more focused on Persona 5 at the moment since it's a much bigger game that's supposed to come out this year.

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NoA has no say in what games get released on 3DS that aren't first party titles. If it were a first party title, NoA wouldn't even attempt to release it unless NoE translated it first (like with Fatal Frame 5).

The reason we haven't gotten localization news is most likely because the localization is probably still in the early stages, and they're more focused on Persona 5 at the moment since it's a much bigger game that's supposed to come out this year.
Just saying that NoA won't help getting the game localized if Atlus aren't interested.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: lemme ask in forums