Charmander is not pleased.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Welcome back to thaddius’ Console Roast 2014 Edition. For those of you who are not aware this is a poll where you, the GBATemp user, get to vote on what GBATemp thinks is the worst console ever is. For more information check out the Rules section below.

Recap:
Oh man. You guys hated last week's winner which was:
pu6R26A.png

The SNK Neo Geo X! Congratulations SNK! Your poor excuse for a handheld caught the attention of GBATemp and made (at least 50% of) them mad! I can't say I expected anything else.

Once again the mentally ill of the board voted nonsensically for what are obviously great systems. I'm not surprised, but the 3DS and Vita deserve better. At least it was under 20% of you. Maybe I should point out that just because there's an option on the poll doesn't mean at least one person has to vote for it.

So what could be in store this week? Maybe we'll find out after we read the rules no one ever reads.

Rules:
There can only be one!

Each week I pit each console generation against itself to determine what the worst console of that generation was. Updates will hopefully be up every Thursday from now till the end.

We’re going to work our way up through consoles and handhelds until we reach the current generation. Once that’s all done, we’ll determine the worst console and the worst handheld. From there we choose the definitive GBATemp-approved WORST CONSOLE EVER.

Your only job, Mr. or Ms. GBATemper, is to cast your vote for what you think the worst of the generation is. Please try to do some research, watch some videos, maybe play a few of these games on a (completely legitimate) emulator, and you just might learn a little about the weird amorphous blob that is video game history. But I can't (and won't) keep you from just shooting from the uninformed hip. You're also encouraged to explain your choice in the form of a response to this topic. :)

In the event of a tie, I (Sir thaddius prigg) will cast the deciding vote. It is my Roast after all...

The Generations are taken from Wikipedia as I've deemed that to be an appropriate neutral third party. I understand if you might have some concerns that I've put things in the wrong generation in your opinion, but I'm not too concerned about that. Generations are murky constructs at best and are based on arbitrary distinctions made by outsiders as post hoc rationalizations that don't mean anything to anyone anyway.

If I left out/included a certain console/handheld you think does/doesn't belong there I'm probably not going to include/not include them anyway. Basically don't take any of this too seriously. I'm not going to change the polls based on your opinion of them. I also can't change the polls once I've created them. The fact that people keep telling me to change things means that no one reads this but whatever. It's not like anyone cares about what I have to say. :P

Aggressive discussion is allowed, but please try to keep within the rules of the forums. Just try to have fun and don’t be a jerk, k?
Enough of that crap, time to get started!

Intro:
So we’ve slogged through all the handhelds, and we’ve done almost all the consoles. The only thing left is the current gen. Now this is almost an exercise in futility - the battle lines are barely drawn, and those that are surround fan boy camps. But whatever. It wouldn’t be that thaddius’ Console Roast without more ambiguity.

I really hope this doesn’t devolve into too rough a discussion. You guys are (presumably) old enough to know what you’re doing though.

This Week's Challengers are:

The Nintendo Wii U
yOAWsON.jpg

Rough start again. Will you ever get anything right, Nintendo? I suppose the only difference between this and the Wii and 3DS is that it hasn’t had it’s upswing yet. It may not even have one.

In an effort to apparently turn your TV into a DS Nintendo slapped a touch screen onto a controller. Personally the offscreen play functionality of the Wii U is a life saver whenever my sister-in-law comes over (which is often) and stays in the basement where the TV is. It’s honestly a very good selling point for the Wii U.

The Wii U is apparently underpowered and will never have the capabilities of the other current gen systems, but its games still manage to look great. And it has Mario, Zelda, and Super Smash Bros games on it so you can’t go wrong. Also Virtual Console! Too bad you have to pay ~$1 to transfer Wii VC games onto it but at least there’s a discount. Now if only they’d give you cross-buy capabilities like Sony does.

It’s way too early to call so just vote for this one if you hate Nintendo I guess.

The Microsoft Xbox One
94ykdrV.jpg

It’s the third Xbox so it makes perfect sense that you’d call it the Xbox One. I’ve heard that it’s called ‘One’ because it’s supposed to be all your entertainment solutions rolled into a single device. Sadly it doesn’t play Nintendo or Sony games so the name is already inaccurate.

Bundled with Kinect 2 (at least initially?) and launching at $500US, the Xbox One plays Xbox One games only! None of your original Xbox, Xbox 360, or XBLA games will work on this machine. As an avid collector of games this bugs me a tad. I’m beginning to understand that backwards compatibility is not as important to others as it is to me. :(

Anyway I don’t really have much else to say about this thing. It’s not doing anything new or crazy. The only negatives are the price and lack of backwards compatibility (which limits the games, obviously). Basically it’s too early to call, but I’m making you vote on it anyway. :)

Both Xbox entries have been chosen as the worst of their generation so far so I vaguely wonder about this one. If you got a hate on for Microsoft and spell their name with a dollar sign then I guess this is the one for you to vote for.

The OUYA
Ud5cfDI.jpg

Oh man. If you thought Android handheld gaming was the future wait until you see just how shitty Android console gaming is.

Getting its initial investment from crowd funding website KickStarter, the OUYA sprang into the public consciousness only because it was a bit of an oddity. Using its own proprietary GUI and store the OUYA doesn’t have some of the openness that people love about Android phones (unless you hack it), but it does have a good selection of local co-op party games. The OUYA has the unique ability to use controllers from other consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PS3, which you’ll probably end up using because you can’t stand the pack-in controller.

Apparently it’s not so bad as a media centre, but there are so many consoles styling themselves as one it’s a tough sell. And if you don’t have a hacked Wii it’s a smashing good emulator machine (because you need another one of those…).

As a developer I enjoyed this just as much as I did the Nvidia Shield - it's easy to work with and it gives you an opportunity to see what your games will look like on that kind of platform very quickly. But I have a feeling that won't amount to much for you lay folk.

The Sony PlayStation 4
B6sAOE4.jpg

I don’t even know what to say about the PS4. Just like the Xbone it isn’t doing anything to distinguish itself from its predecessor apart from having newer computery bits. It still retains some of the motion control stuff that was so popular with the kids last generation, and it’ll run Netflix just as well as everything else these days. It does have a nicer controller that its predecessors though.

One really cool thing is owning a Vita and a PS4 and using its Remote Play feature. Sort of like the Wii U’s offscreen play you can play your PS4 games on your Vita over Wifi or the internet. The major differences here is the buy-in for the Sony solution is significantly higher than Nintendo’s as you need two expensive systems, and that not all games will be compatible with Remote Play on the Vita (hopefully it’ll be more than the PS3!). But at least the Vita is an autonomous handheld you can take with you that has its own games which semi-justifies the price. And Cross-buy with the Vita is a great, although it's mostly for indie titles.

Oh yeah, and no backwards compatibility, even with PSOne games which boggles my mind although there are rumours that that will change. Maybe we’ll hear more about that Playstation Now stuff soon too (although it’s apparently not coming to Canada :angry:).

Anyway, once again it’s way too early for me to even choose. If you super hate Sony this is the one for you.

Outro:
And there you have it! The Eighth Generation of Consoles! Wait… We’re out of stuff to do… So what do we do now?

Current Standings:
Bhsok2j.png

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think including the Ouya in this list, let alone calling it a console, probably gives it way too much credit.

Of the actual consoles, I would say the Wii U is the worst (I know, what a shock). The Gamepad is a needless, tacked-on gimmick, the game selection is pretty weak, and its future is looking bleaker by the month. I'm not fan of the Xbox One, but at least that will have a steady supply of third party titles, and it seems that Microsoft is actually taking the criticism to heart. Of the three, the PS4 is most certainly the bee's knees, the cat's meow, and the schnauzer's wowza all rolled together.

But yeah, with the Ouya in the mix... well, this isn't exactly tough.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are other android game consoles than the OUYA such as the gamestick and the Mad Catz M.O.J.O.
Not including them and just the OUYA is weird.

Gonna go vote for the Xbone, even though it dropped in price it's still underpowered, well so is the Wii U, but at least the Wii U is innovative.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I was going to immediately vote Wii U for a number of really obvious reasons, but seeing the Ouya there, well, really, how could a person not vote for it?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ehh...I almost voted for the Ouya, but then I remembered it's not a console. lelel

In truth, I also didn't vote for the Ouya because at least it has more than 5 games worthwhile to play. Granted, they're Android games, ports of older games and emulators, but that's still more fun than anything the Wii U has out for it now. I can honestly say the only games that interest me that are on the Wii U are Smash bros and X and that's pretty much it. I honestly can't think of any games worthwhile for me future or current that would make me drop $300 on a console. When the Wii U inevitably dies and drops to $100 in a bargain bin, then I'll probably grab it. Otherwise, meh.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the ouya is only in there to stop people for voting for xb1...
rather pointless to waste a week on this if you already know people are going to vote for the android stick...

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
The Steam box didn't make it as an option? I guess it's more of a PC since there are different versions, but the 3DO was like that too. Though I guess the box has the same library too...

Anyway, I voted for the PS4 only because my cousin's was dead on arrival (though we thankfully got a refund for it) and I don't have any experience with the others yet.

Reactions: ComeTurismO

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ouya.

Android just advances to fast to have it as a home console.
Not only that but old game ports and angry birds?
Eh, no.
Ouya only games are.. non existent or are only a few.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awww, you've just gone and ruined it by adding OUYA, for shame! Shouldn't you also add the Gamestick, Amazons new thingie, etc, too? Sheesh..... well I had to vote Ouya out of that list, but the vote that really counts, well that goes the Xbox One for sure at this moment :D

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's too early in the lifespan as everyone says, but I voted for Ouya. Because it's not much of a real gaming console at all with a horrible launch and rarely support from any side I think it's easy to say it's the worst console. Any nut-head saying any of the other three are bad are rather dumb. Each console except Ouya has great potential(even de Wii U yes)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted for the Xbox One but was torn between that and the Ouya... Probably should have voted Ouya but right now as of this poll the Xbox One is still pretty hard up for games and they haven't implemented the changes that will make it slightly better.

But as other have said it's too early to tell what console will end up being the worst.

Nintendo could in theory release all crap games making the Wii-U really bad as first party games are a large part of the reason to get one, making the Wii-U the worst.

Sony could in theory do a bunch of anti consumer antics and release firmwares that remove features and block used game sales and pretty much make life miserable for the consumer, making it the worst console.

Microsoft could in theory spy on everyone with it's all seeing eye making everyone the NSA's bitch, making the Xbox One the worst console.

Then there are literally 10,000 other variables that no one could predict. Early death of companies, bargain bin consoles, consoles pulled from shelves due to IP violations, big name games with big disappointment, firmware update mass bricks, hacking, Russia nuking the US, and so many more.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
This roast makes only sense because you included the OUYA. It is and will be the worst console.
Otherwise it is far too early, because you can't solely judge a console by hardware specs.
At the moment without looking into the future the Wii U is the best console. In the future the PS4 will very probably be the best.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I smell smoke.

Having to pay online and fear of old policies coming back from prior and reveal of the Xbox 180. As well as not being a fan of Xbox consoles from the get go. (Not that wouldn't play on one.)

Ouya, while not as bad as people were making, it is not my type of console and this "OUYA Everywhere" pretty much defeating the purpose.

So... I guess Ouya.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-