Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how "Free" labor for their company could be a bad thing. I think there is like 1 other card out there with an on board CPU and it caused a real stink when it was released.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shall we start a draft email to be translated? Or are we giving up hope straight away?

EDIT: Or perhaps DarkChen/discuz2011 understands English and can be directed right to this thread via a PM and/or email?
We can always try.
If we won't try, we won't succeed.
The more commotion there is about this the more chance we have to get it happening.

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Theres nothing stopping people from grabbing the sources to an already open sourced emulator and porting it over. It might take more work in the long run, but at least it would be getting somewhere.

The sources for NDSGBA probably aren't in any state to be released anyway, the emulator was created before thoughts of releasing the SDK came around. So perhaps there may be some code they simply can't release involved, or maybe the author of the original gba emulator it is based on is blocking the release for whatever reason.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Which means they cared about losing $, not the community. A non-existent source of an application doesn't hurt business, especially not with the "DarkChen excuse".
Users on GBAtemp bitching about an application does hurt business.

At least, that's the only conclusion I can come from based on R4 teams and such signing up and PMing me directly to ask me to correct information or not say something bad about (insert R4 Hyper King-III SDXH Ultra here).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm hopeful they'll release the source. I don't know if it will happen, but it's worth a try.

Theres nothing stopping people from grabbing the sources to an already open sourced emulator and porting it over. It might take more work in the long run, but at least it would be getting somewhere.
I was thinking this as well, but it takes someone willing to put the effort into porting an emulator and optimizing it to the degree where it runs fullspeed, and that may never happen.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hopeful they'll release the source. I don't know if it will happen, but it's worth a try.

I was thinking this as well, but it takes someone willing to put the effort into porting an emulator and optimizing it to the degree where it runs fullspeed, and that may never happen.

We have a better SDK (which was asked for in the same way we're doing now IIRC) than Darkchen probably did years ago and an active community willing to program, bug test, translate, and give suggestions as well. It'd be a lot harder and a bit redundant to report the entire emulator but it's easily possible to do better than NDSGBA in its playable but sloppy state.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I want to be fairly certain that we won't get the source for NDSGBA before jumping into a port.

Having the emulator core and GUI already coded would be much simpler to modify; it would also be pretty much guaranteed that saved states from NDSGBA would continue working, because the code to create them would be the same.

But if an emulator really does need to be ported, then I can just dump the GUI code from CATSFC and the core from an emulator into a code repository and work on hooking the GUI with the core, then assume all backwards compatibility can go away and recode save states, as well as cheats into a more suitable format in which there's already a good pack of cheats. If that happens, I guess I'll have to start/coordinate a port.

Reactions: signz

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just to say, but stuff like this has been attempted before. Not to say that I'm against the idea of making a thread like this, but rather the hopes I have for this actually occurring based on the sorts of things I have heard about the Supercard team borderline the hopes of one aiming for a grand scale miracle to happen.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just to say, but stuff like this has been attempted before. Not to say that I'm against the idea of making a thread like this, but rather the hopes I have for this actually occurring based on the sorts of things I have heard about the Supercard team borderline the hopes of one aiming for a grand scale miracle to happen.
True, but it can't hurt to try.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately no one seems to have posted on the Supercard Chinese BBS.

However, I am trying to get a chain of contacts going on with some administrators. It doesn't appear to have yielded anything so far.

I would help if I knew how to read or write any form of Chinese.. Unfortunately, I can only speak Chinese, and Cantonese, not Mandarin :(

A ton of people know how to read/write Mandarin Chinese/Simplified Characters that are tempers. Perhaps someone could step up? Maybe even Costello, if he knows how to communicate in Chinese.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would help if I knew how to read or write any form of Chinese.. Unfortunately, I can only speak Chinese, and Cantonese, not Mandarin :(

A ton of people know how to read/write Mandarin Chinese/Simplified Characters that are tempers. Perhaps someone could step up? Maybe even Costello, if he knows how to communicate in Chinese.
Would it be easier to auto-translate from Cantonese to Mandarin than it would be to auto-translate from English to Mandarin? If so, maybe you could help by drafting up a message in Cantonese.

To avoid breaking the forum rules, which state English only, you should probably preface that Cantonese text with its English original. I believe an exception can be made for that rule because you're not communicating with other Tempers in Chinese, it's for intercommunication purposes.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Would it be easier to auto-translate from Cantonese to Mandarin than it would be to auto-translate from English to Mandarin? If so, maybe you could help by drafting up a message in Cantonese.

To avoid breaking the forum rules, which state English only, you should probably preface that Cantonese text with its English original. I believe an exception can be made for that rule because you're not communicating with other Tempers in Chinese, it's for intercommunication purposes.

Like I said, I can't really read or write much Cantonese either, I can only speak it.. :( That, and the grammar/lexicon is slightly different.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then, I wonder which subforum the Mandarin-Chinese-writing users are hanging out in. It would be great to extract one of them from that subforum just for a bit :evil:
lol "extract"

I'm also a Cantonese speaker who happens to be illiterate in Chinese, quite a shame because the differences in writing are like American and Canadian English.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@