ROM Hack Telefang 2 Full Translation Patch

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Proper translation work has resumed! I've also gotten involved with the folks who did the original hacking on this one, and people from the Telefang 1 project.

Progress: red text works now. Thanks, Normmatt! Also, the font will be changed to something nicer soon.

1.png

There are around 4370 lines of text that have to be translated. I believe 2520 of these are all related to cutscenes, so that's more than half of the entire script just for that.
I translated 66 lines today, and I had 105 done before that, bringing that number to 171. That means a good amount of the intro cutscenes have been translated now, but I'm still working on it.
Translation is also fairly basic, meaning that it just says what the Japanese said without including any character traits or accounting for speech that flows better in English. That will be done on a second pass of the script.

Edit: the whole intro thing up to the point where you gain control over the player character has now been translated. Still needs a second pass for editing. It's 3:50 am, good night.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This has become a team effort once again! I joined the group of people responsible for the first patch in the first post (as well as the translation of TF1!), and we're very much working together to get the proper translation for this into shape.

So I'm translating. Everyone in the team gets to look at my translation and point things out (or edit things). I also double check some translation work that was already done (the Denjuu status menu descriptions).

Normmatt is doing ASM stuff and has added the red font support in, which the game uses extensively. Supposedly, the choice box issue from this post has also been fixed. More work is underway to change and improve things and fit more English text better in certain spots (like the status menu).

RacieB has been checking my text and giving input, as well as doing some Denjuu description-related work. RacieB has also been creating a much, much nicer font for the text, which also looks much closer to how it looks in the Japanese version. A little preview:
tf2font-1.png

Jdbye has been so friendly as to explain to me how certain things work, what limits there are, what I should do to accomplish certain things, etc. and seems to know a bit about everything.

Sanky and Jdbye have been informing me of things I should really keep an eye on when it comes to the world of Telefang so that it's accurate to the fans' descriptions. I'm new with the series, after all. :)

I'm very likely forgetting people and things but my chatlog is incomplete. My laptop broke down just yesterday, so I had to switch systems. In any case, people on the TF1 translation team have given valuable feedback, contribution and discussion, and we're just having a grand old time doing this thing together now. Do note that it'll be a long time before the full thing is done, though! But it will be worth it. ;)

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
New font implemented! Still needs some punctuation tweaking. It's also been aligned with the text box a bit better.

power_patched_01.png

A forum thread has also opened on the Telefang-related forums, Tulunk Village.
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Tulunk_Village/topic/7621302/

I've been editing and tweaking the script for the first cutscenes, and am about to insert it back into the game. Need to write a few scripts to make this easy and convenient first, though.

Edit: today I spent the day creating scripts to make inserting the text into the game real easy. I'm glad I'm did that as I can now just focus on the text rather than waste time manually doing that. Also tweaked the text for the intro cutscenes some more; it's flowing better and better.

Reactions: GHANMI

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So far, 312 lines have been translated. That's approximately up to this point:

gWUPJIs.png

Still very much near the beginning of the game, but some of the text translated also involved text for stores, fusion evolution and secret Denjuu phone calls.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh ok. So they are different translation project. I thought they are same. Lol.
It may be done by the same people, we have no way of knowing. But at least their English is far better than it used to be.
So far, 312 lines have been translated. That's approximately up to this point:

gWUPJIs.png

Still very much near the beginning of the game, but some of the text translated also involved text for stores, fusion evolution and secret Denjuu phone calls.
That's quite a big portion of the intro (which is reaaaaaaaaally long). You've already gotten much farther than the original translation project by PmHacks (http://www.romhacking.net/translations/786/)
Even that small portion is rather helpful as it's rather confusing exactly where to go in the start, which is not just a fault of the bootleg translation but also the way they designed the game. I trust you made it clearer in your translation? :P

Reactions: DaVince

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I remember playing Pokemon Jade & Diamond on the GBC using a 'bootleg 100-in-1' game my parents got for me years ago at a 'official' black market, which are quite popular here.

Couple of years ago I downloaded Telefang 2, which wasn't translated but I still had some fun in the begin area. Don't know why I stopped playing it then, so might as well start again with this patch.

So the story is also translated? Seeing as there was a 100% translation, and now there seems to be a new one by a 'mede-nederlander', I'm not sure what the advantage of the newer translation would be if the story also has been translated..

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The 100% "translation" in the original post is actually the bootleg translation of TF2, possibly done by the same bootleggers as Pokemon Jade/Diamond (though Denjuu names and battle text were fixed by our team). It went through a Japanese -> Chinese -> sloppy English translation process, so the English is almost as bad as the one in the bootleg GBC game you played. There's a lot of stuff that just doesn't make sense, and even more stuff that they say in the Japanese version is plain missing. Sometimes, the meaning of things is even reversed.

I'll give a few examples, but it basically happens constantly.

First off, the flow breaks: What makes up a logically flowing conversation becomes a series of non-sequiturs in the bootleg.

Bootleg:
PLAYER: School is over at last!
Mili: The teacher will lose his temper at these words.
PLAYER: Denjuu World,don't you want to know?
Mili: Really? Shut up.
PLAYER: I'm born a big mouth.
PLAYER: What are you up to?

Translation from the original Japanese:
PLAYER: School is finally over! Man, that was boring.
MIDORI: Teach would be mad if he heard that, you know.
PLAYER: That doesn't matter to me! Isn't getting to know stuff about the Denjuu World much more fun, anyway?
MIDORI: Why do you have to have such a sharp tongue?
PLAYER: Well, I was born with a sharp tongue! Why should I try to fix that now?
PLAYER: Ah man, I'm bored. What should we do?

Also, tons of story details are missing:

Bootleg:
Mr.Mu: Decades ago, Antenna Tree is a bridge between Human World and Denjuu World.
Mr.Mu: But one day, Antenna Tree started to wither with no clear reason.
Mr.Mu: People never stop their guesses.
PLAYER: Now, can Denjuu communicate with human beings?
Mili: Let's hurry back.Daddy is to come back.

MOSSAN: Many decades ago, there were many [Antenna Trees] that shared a connection between the human and Denjuu world. Us humans, adults and children alike, became fascinated with the Denjuu World.
MOSSAN: But one day, the [Antenna Trees] in the Denjuu World started withering. At the same time, the [Antenna Trees] in the human world also started withering. Why this is happening is unknown, but they say that the humans might have brought something with them into the Denjuu World...
MOSSAN: Rumors started going around about the Denjuu World reaching the end of its life span, and out of fear for a cataclysm happening in the Denjuu World, humans stopped going near it.
PLAYER: But... even now, Denjuu and humans are still getting together, right?
MIDORI: Say, let's go home... Daddy is going to be back soon...

Tons and tons of details, small and large, are truncated everywhere. It's not bad enough to be completely unable to follow what's happening, but the bootleg translation is certainly lacking (and changing the names, and adding nonsense...).

That is why I'm doing my own translation of it now; to make the English all make sense. There's more to the game than the bootleg is willing to share.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright, that does look much better. Might as well start on the 'bad english' version and then continue with this one.

I enjoy some bad english translations, just like Pokemon 'Vietnam'.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh yeah, it's definitely hilarious in its own right. :) I'd just love to see a version that makes sense, too. (Plus it makes for good practice learning Japanese!) Have fun playing!

And you're in luck; the 'bad English' version's save files have shown to be mostly compatible with this one. I believe only Denjuu nicknames get screwed up.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The 100% "translation" in the original post is actually the bootleg translation of TF2, possibly done by the same bootleggers as Pokemon Jade/Diamond (though Denjuu names and battle text were fixed by our team). It went through a Japanese -> Chinese -> sloppy English translation process, so the English is almost as bad as the one in the bootleg GBC game you played. There's a lot of stuff that just doesn't make sense, and even more stuff that they say in the Japanese version is plain missing. Sometimes, the meaning of things is even reversed.

I'll give a few examples, but it basically happens constantly.

First off, the flow breaks: What makes up a logically flowing conversation becomes a series of non-sequiturs in the bootleg.

Bootleg:

Also, tons of story details are missing:

Bootleg:

Tons and tons of details, small and large, are truncated everywhere. It's not bad enough to be completely unable to follow what's happening, but the bootleg translation is certainly lacking (and changing the names, and adding nonsense...).

That is why I'm doing my own translation of it now; to make the English all make sense. There's more to the game than the bootleg is willing to share.
Hm. Didn't realize there was that much stuff just missing from the bootleg. It is a bit confusing, but it makes enough sense that it's playable and enjoyable. Though of course it's more enjoyable when you know the whole story.

Reactions: DaVince

Airikita

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, I waited a few years, and it seems these posts are recent. I would love to have the new font for the patch, but I'm guessing you're changing the option select bug (yes/no choices, etc...).

Also, there's weird names when receiving an item, such as "9sadeGESA got [item]!" though I'm sure you are aware of this?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow, I waited a few years, and it seems these posts are recent. I would love to have the new font for the patch, but I'm guessing you're changing the option select bug (yes/no choices, etc...).

Also, there's weird names when receiving an item, such as "9sadeGESA got [item]!" though I'm sure you are aware of this?
DaVince is working on a new translation patch, but the new font and the option select bug are already fixed in it, I think. Maybe he will release his work so far :)

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There will be intermediate releases, but I will hold off on releasing anything until at least everything about the plot in the starting town has been translated. Don't know yet when that will be as I have found myself in a situation where I wanted to do too many other tasks all at once besides translating this. (Such is the curse of having too many interests that I all want to keep.)

any news from the translation DaVince?
Things have slowed down again for a while until I finish these "other tasks" I mentioned. My head's exploding as it is, heh. But if it's any indication, cutscene translation so far has been finished up to here:
gWUPJIs.png

aka the same as before. :P
Edit: actually, a bit further than this, but not much.

Airikita

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Exciting, I'm on the brink of this project coming to closure. Wish I stuck around for the English translations years back, since I had some of it refined and polished on the way. I mean, they already had English characters in there, but I don't know how you guys are doing it.

I got too busy with Zelda OoT modding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work