ROM Hack Telefang 2 Full Translation Patch

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Works great in Mednafen. Good job and thanks for showing us a new old game to enjoy!

Oh wow, this looks hilarious, haha. In the intro, the guy has this extreme action face while calling up the monster. And characters jump around all the time during the game. Looking forward to playing this.

This bootleg translation is wonky (well, except for the explanation parts which seem translated unusually well). I love that. I'll check how complicated the Japanese is in the original version so I could maybe help out in that department. My Japanese reading skills are okay-ish; good enough to fix the more obvious grammar mistakes, anyway. You should also definitely keep this version around as a -BootlegEng or something! ;)

So, some bugs.

The character selection on the "input name" bit is so messed up. All of the shown kana actually output random punctuation instead... and it wasn't obvious that pressing the call button gets me other characters, haha. Perhaps something could be done to fix this and just show the ABC keys first?

One character doesn't say anything at all. Did he just not say anything in the original bootleg, either?
Telefang 2 Power (J)-Eng-0000.png

All of the choice boxes seem to have the issue that SoonToBeProgrammer pointed out. The first one I could find is when trying to befriend the first monster in front of the pond. The usual Yes/No stuff and basically all of these options are glitched.
Telefang 2 Power (J)-Eng-0001.png

Edit:
Okay, good news! The Japanese used in this game seems to be pretty low-level! If you're still looking for translators, I'm willing to give it a shot. :)

And here's an interesting little thing about the original:
Keitai Denjuu Telefang 2 - Power (Japan)-0002.png

Names are shown in red, and on a new line! Would be nice if the translation patch used the red text.

The names are also quite different... The girl is called Midori, for example, and that boy who doesn't like you is called Yuu. And some jokes are lost in the bad translation!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
this one is when calling out your monster
View attachment 4208

and this one is when buying medicinal herbs from the girl outside the village
View attachment 4206
Oh, just that. That's a known issue, but sadly it's not up to me to fix it. It's an issue with the cursor positioning in the variable width text, but Normmatt created the ASM hack for VWF - I've bugged him about it a couple of times, he hasn't gotten around to sorting it out yet, so all I can do is wait. My ARM assembly skills are far too limited to fix that bug.
However, it doesn't prevent the game from being playable, but it does look rather ugly. I hope he gets around to it soon :)

Works great in Mednafen. Good job and thanks for showing us a new old game to enjoy!

Oh wow, this looks hilarious, haha. In the intro, the guy has this extreme action face while calling up the monster. And characters jump around all the time during the game. Looking forward to playing this.

This bootleg translation is wonky (well, except for the explanation parts which seem translated unusually well). I love that. I'll check how complicated the Japanese is in the original version so I could maybe help out in that department. My Japanese reading skills are okay-ish; good enough to fix the more obvious grammar mistakes, anyway. You should also definitely keep this version around as a -BootlegEng or something! ;)

So, some bugs.

The character selection on the "input name" bit is so messed up. All of the shown kana actually output random punctuation instead... and it wasn't obvious that pressing the call button gets me other characters, haha. Perhaps something could be done to fix this and just show the ABC keys first?

One character doesn't say anything at all. Did he just not say anything in the original bootleg, either?
View attachment 4210

All of the choice boxes seem to have the issue that SoonToBeProgrammer pointed out. The first one I could find is when trying to befriend the first monster in front of the pond. The usual Yes/No stuff and basically all of these options are glitched.
View attachment 4211

Edit:
Okay, good news! The Japanese used in this game seems to be pretty low-level! If you're still looking for translators, I'm willing to give it a shot. :)

And here's an interesting little thing about the original:
View attachment 4212
Names are shown in red, and on a new line! Would be nice if the translation patch used the red text.

The names are also quite different... The girl is called Midori, for example, and that boy who doesn't like you is called Yuu. And some jokes are lost in the bad translation!
The reason some of the japanese characters don't show up right is that I replaced them to make space for symbols. I've seen the person that doesn't say anything, but I'm not sure if he says anything in the original. I'm guessing not, since everyone else in the game talks.

I wouldn't know about how to make name selection default to ABC (I actually wanted to add lowercase support to the name selection, but that's beyond my skills too)

The red font is still usable, it's just that the bootleg doesn't use it more than once in the entire game. As for why the names aren't on a new line, it's because I scripted a way to recreate all linebreaks to take advantage of the variable width font, said script also removes linebreaks after names. I don't mind it this way, since the game has a LOT of text, and the more text there is on each line the less time you'll spend hitting A.

All the names are different in the bootleg, they just used arbitrary names. The same goes for Denjuu, town names, etc. I fixed the Denjuu names, but they're still wrong in most dialogue. I started fixing town names as I encounter them in the game, and will be continuing working on that. The town names on the map are correct, but don't match the names in dialogue, which adds a lot of confusion.

I would gladly accept some translation help, as well as adding red text where appropriate in dialogue (however, I haven't modified the red font since it wasn't used in the game, so I would have to do that)
The script can be found here, but it's rather long: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2...aster/script/tf2_bootleg_script_autowrite.txt
To add red text, you can use (RED) and (/RED) start/end tags.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would gladly accept some translation help, as well as adding red text where appropriate in dialogue
Great! My plan for now is to just translate the original text (what am I getting myself into) and see how it stacks up to the bootleg translation.

Is it possible to rip the Japanese text out of the original ROM in a similar fashion? That would help immensely. If not, I'll try my best getting the right text in the right place in the file instead.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Great! My plan for now is to just translate the original text (what am I getting myself into) and see how it stacks up to the bootleg translation.

Is it possible to rip the Japanese text out of the original ROM in a similar fashion? That would help immensely. If not, I'll try my best getting the right text in the right place in the file instead.
Look at the tf2_power_script files in here, they're the original japanese script: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project/tree/master/Tools/Cartographer

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks, that's perfect. (Should've remembered there was a Git repo, considering I read the entire thread... :P)

Edit: looks like that one monster who says nothing *does* say something in the original. Something translating to "The truth is, he's..." Probably insinuating that yes, the monster standing near the pond actually does still want to become friends, even if he tells you to leave him alone.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is the first time I'm really translating a game and it's proving to be a nice challenge. (Don't worry, I'm proficient enough to be confident that at least 90% of my translation is accurate. And the remaining 10% doesn't look weird or out of place. :P)

This translation should at least bring back all the stuff that the bootleg translation dropped or botched up, so you can actually recognize more of a story in this. Oh, and the names are fixed. And my translation isn't going to be the final one, either (I heard that the guy translating TF1 right now will move to TF2 once that is finished, so... But in the meantime, this'll be a nice learning project for me!).

Telefang 2 Power (J)-Eng - hardpatched-0000.png
>
power_patched-0000.png

Telefang 2 Power (J)-Eng - hardpatched-0001.png
>
power_patched-0008.png

Telefang 2 Power (J)-Eng - hardpatched-0002.png
>
power_patched-0011.png

(Okay, the original one just drops basically everything here... :P)

Hours of work and I've translated half of the intro, haha.

Reactions: SmokeyTheDog

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's appearing just fine now.
It must be the computer on my work that was blocking the images.
Nevermind, I can see them now.
Can you access www.dropbox.com?
They're probably blocking Dropbox, which makes sense I guess, they don't want people downloading stuff. But they forget that it's not only used for file sharing...

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sure! Several points:

• My initial plans were to just make this a temporary grammar/spelling improvement until TF1's translator would finish her job with TF1 and move on to properly translate this one.
  • Being the perfectionist that I am, I noticed there's so much wrong with the bootleg translation that I just want to do a full translation now, with someone doing the quality/translation checking for me.
  • I managed to get someone for translation checking, AND translation. Someone I know who's better at Japanese than I am also got interested in the project, so we'll both be translating and double checking each other's translations. And here's a nice claim: "Translation should be easy" :)
  • Both of us are apparently so busy we'll mostly only have time to work on this in the weekends, at least for now. (Note: this was unexpected for me too, haha...)
  • Regarding progress: just half of the intro cutscene (up to the point where they meet that doctor in his lab), and some miscellaneous text relating to monster transformation. (Note that there is much more text than the bootleg makes you think there is.)
Also, it's about time I get to know the actual staff behind the work that has been done already, so that'll happen soon. Honestly, I only know The Real Jdbye right now! :P

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How on earth did I miss this?! I have been waiting years for this to happen, you sir are a god.

Sure! Several points:

• My initial plans were to just make this a temporary grammar/spelling improvement until TF1's translator would finish her job with TF1 and move on to properly translate this one.
  • Being the perfectionist that I am, I noticed there's so much wrong with the bootleg translation that I just want to do a full translation now, with someone doing the quality/translation checking for me.
  • I managed to get someone for translation checking, AND translation. Someone I know who's better at Japanese than I am also got interested in the project, so we'll both be translating and double checking each other's translations. And here's a nice claim: "Translation should be easy" :)
  • Both of us are apparently so busy we'll mostly only have time to work on this in the weekends, at least for now. (Note: this was unexpected for me too, haha...)
  • Regarding progress: just half of the intro cutscene (up to the point where they meet that doctor in his lab), and some miscellaneous text relating to monster transformation. (Note that there is much more text than the bootleg makes you think there is.)
Also, it's about time I get to know the actual staff behind the work that has been done already, so that'll happen soon. Honestly, I only know The Real Jdbye right now! :P

Any recent updates on this? :)

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nooone whatsoever, but still interested. I tend to want to do too many things at once and ended up not having time for it at all. Figure about a month before I can get a good amount of time to do this.

Need to take the time to properly communicate with the other team doing the GBC version of Telefang anyway. :)

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yup. Read the first post. But here's a tl;dr:

- Yes, it's a full English translation. 100% playable.
- It's crappy English, because it's from a Chinese pirate translation.
- I want to make it proper English, but there's been very little progress so far. (Script is available and editable though.)

bradzx

x-Darkie-x
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Read the first post. But here's a tl;dr:

- Yes, it's a full English translation. 100% playable.
- It's crappy English, because it's from a Chinese pirate translation.
- I want to make it proper English, but there's been very little progress so far. (Script is available and editable though.)
Wait, this game is Chinese pirate translation? Meaning same thing from GBC?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wait, this game is Chinese pirate translation? Meaning same thing from GBC?
Yes and no. It's far better than the GBC "Pokemon Diamond/Jade" translation-wise. There are frequent grammatical errors, but you can make sense of nearly everything said.
Look at the screenshots for a general idea of how good the English is. Compared to other Engrish it's nearly flawless. Translation errors, although frequent, are mostly grammatical and don't affect playability or (in my opinion) enjoyability of the game.

Reactions: DaVince

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"