Team SirVG Says Goodbye

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
BionicC said:
paul3100 said:
If no profit is gained from producing roms then why does anyone bother?

Short answer: to impress strangers on the internet.

Long answer: Consistent releases from a release group (be they games, trainers or whatever) build up the group's profile and reputation. Groups race each other to get the best games, release the best trainers and so on (and I can tell you, it's a proper kick in the balls to spend time on a trainer and go to upload it only to find someone beat you to it by minutes -- especially if theirs had fewer options 'cos IIRC having one or two more options wasn't enough to save your trainer from being nuked as a dupe). Back in the day there were monthly scene charts where groups were scored depending on how many releases they'd had in the past month, the aim being to get the most and the best releases out each month in order to score big and -- yes -- impress strangers on the internet. But having said that, a big part of the scene was (and I've been out of it for years so don't really know what it's like now) the camaradarie between groups; we might have been rivals but for the most part things were pretty friendly with plenty of IRC banter going on and you'd give each other shout-outs in crackros and stuff. Good times, man *wipes tear*

Nice one mate that actually explained it really well and i can totally see the competition going on between groups, sounds kinda fun :-)

paul

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFQ_g8OoQM&list=RD8FFQ_g8OoQM&start_radio=1