NULL

Team SirVG Says Goodbye

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by JPH, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ahtin

ahtin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Hong Kong
    thx to SirVG for the rom that no other group care, and I am very surprise that someone believe dump group can earn profit

2. SylvWolf

SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    East Coast, USA
    Thanks for what you've done, 252 releases is always welcome. Wishing you luck in the future.

3. anandjones

anandjones GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Yes this one I moderate. However, those two letters are a really big giveaway. Also, what makes you think that this site was the thing that made SirVG stop in the first place?

4. paul3100

paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 15, 2007
    scotland
    I would also just like to say thank you for all the hard work you have done Sir VG

Question

If no profit is gained from producing roms then why does anyone bother?

I can understand if you have a game already or a group of friends and you take it in turn to buy a game, rom it and share it and selling the original game.

paul

5. Zerrix

Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 11, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Earth
    Damn... They were one of the best release-groups :'(

6. Hadrian

Hadrian Everybofy knows badgers like MASH POTATOES!

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    United States
    I respected the fact that they picked up the stuff no one else did, there is a lot of completists out there who have to have every game released and SirVG.

Dumping games is a thankless task a lot of spoilt children moaning about stuff they can download for free. If it was up to me I'll ban those kids from the internet, would make the place a far better thing to use.

7. 4ppleseed

4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    London
    Thanks SirVG. A game being Good or Bad is pretty subjective at times but having as many released games dumped as possible gives us the chance to make up our own mind, and for that I salute all your hard work.

8. Social0

Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2007
    Belgium
    Boohoo, cry me a river.
    Can't stand things like this. "the scene" is nothing impressive, stop taking the internet seriously ;p

9. plasmatron

plasmatron GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Sir VG ??? Good to see that this fake release group is gone.
    Really no one who has love and passion for the scene cares about such lamers.

There wasn`t any article about the retirement of SQUIRE.
    So stop this crap.

10. Mailenste

Mailenste GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2007
    Thanks for all the work you've done [​IMG] !

11. kesadisan

kesadisan GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2008
    Indonesia
    Farplane
    one thing that make SirVG good
    they deliver game for Parents to their child
    really teaching
    and their last game (i mean software) was nice educator soft [​IMG]

12. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    Since my comment was edited ill post it again since theres no reason to edit it. SirVG is staff member on a site which sells roms, and SirVG you know as well as i do it used to be PAY only. Not donations. You didn't set any facts straight you just avoided the point.. of course the group isn't for profit but the site most certainly is.

The site was making a huge profit and i know for a fact the money was going towards your releases. So how is that commendable in any way? Its the opposite of what any real group stands for. Other groups GOOD releases were sold to pay for your ones.

Btw who else remembers when he came on here and posted that he'd dump a game if someone paypalled him? yeah sounds like what a 'release group' does huh...

13. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    SirVG, It was nice for the releases you dumped,
    It was nice for those who like to have all games available (like me)

ppl knows games will get dumped,
    not by you anymore, but others will pick up, most ppl really don't care WHO
    dumps them, we know the will get dumped by someone.

Like noted above by iNFiNiTY, the group didn't make any profit maybe, but the site does
    And that makes a difference to real scene groups and sites.

I will not maon about the group leaving, but i will also say, thx for the games you did release!
    It is not to me to go into the why's, how's and prolly no one outsite the scene doesn't need to know, etc...

C'u

14. jenngcia

jenngcia GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2007
    Senegal
    Since they can be found elsewhere-gratis, whether they profit or not doesn't bother me.

I salute them (and every other group out there). Thanks for all those 'niche market' releases. Some may call them junks, but to those niche markets they are as good as the best releases out there. Like their last release, it's one that's out for a couple of months, and no one want to touch, it may not be a great game, but it's does serve a market, and my DS is a better product for it. Kudos to SirVG.

15. George290506

George290506 GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2006
    Greece
    Hellas, Macedonia
    Thank you for all Team SirVG. [​IMG]
    I hope you will continue one day.....................

16. Ruri

Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2007
    United States
    They did stop taking it seriously. That's what this news post is announcing. [​IMG]

17. Zyenet

Zyenet GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2008
    United States
    Actually, you could guess the first, but not many people would guess the second. I don't think the mods mind as one edited a post after mine, but left mine intact. [​IMG]

Reasoning was because of their "points" system, as some games require points to download, (Mostly stuff like big ISOs) which controls bandwidth. But, you are given free points every 24hrs.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't read you clearly. I meant I think that's the one that was being accused of selling ROMs, which Sir VG corrected

18. hksmrchan

hksmrchan GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2008
    United States
    Some of you are quite harsh.

19. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    Firstly there shouldn't be any "points" system anyway, but the site used to be that you had to pay to get points and there was no alternative. It was making thousands of dollars profit don't believe the bullshit of 'paying for bandwidth' because bandwidth is cheap and servers don't cost anywhere near what they make and still are making. They probably only stopped that system because theres too many better sites for free instead now, unlike before.

I don't think rom sites should ask for donations anyway but there's a difference between just donations and having a points system for selling roms. Its just as bad as selling discs of roms on ebay. You don't see any other group selling the games to pay for it, they just do it themselves. Cause thats what a release group does...

20. Hell_AleX

Hell_AleX GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2009
    Germany
    Germany
    I'll miss their funny NFOs ^^

NULL