Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been dwelling over getting a tattoo for the past 10 years or so but its permanent so the only reason to why I haven't done one yet was because I didn't know what to put on me. Now recently I've been thinking that the guy from H.E.R.O. (see my avatar) would be good to have on me as a starter...not sure where but its the closest to a decision so far.

Just wanted some thoughts about where to put it (serious comments please) and if it would look good.

Cheers.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get a tattoo, make it something you want to have on you forever.

I've seen my share of people who regret a tattoo that they only got the week before.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know and I don't want to spend a shit ton of money for something that isn't either guaranteed when I can spend it on my daughter.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How about just not bothering with a tattoo at all? Never been interested in them myself, nor do I understand the attraction to them.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ProtoKun7 said:
How about just not bothering with a tattoo at all? Never been interested in them myself, nor do I understand the attraction to them.

This.

If you have a daughter, buy a $1000 stuffed animal for her.
That would be the best present...ever.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Tattoos can be beyond epic if they work and you've put the time and money into it. Example, my friend Jessica has angel wings tattooed on her back. They cover pretty much her entire shoulder area and when she flexes it looks like the wings are flapping. They're absolutely gorgeous (as is she, thinking on it) but they cost her an absolute bomb. We are talking her entire inheritance from her grandma dying here, and it was no small inheritance. She wanted to get something that would honour the memory of her grandma, so she chose the angel wings in reference to an angel wing pendant her grandma wore. Fuckin' stunning work though.

All depends on the design, the meaning behind it, the cost, whether or not you can really afford it, etc. it's a decision to be taken very seriously. I myself plan on having a tattoo of a symbol that means a lot to me when I can afford it. But it is after all a luxury expense, it serves little 'real' purpose. So I'm waiting til I have a tonne of cash I can simply throw away.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
ProtoKun7 said:
My thoughts exactly.
Besides, you only risk your health if you do it. Sure it may look nice for a while but when you're even older it'll get all wrinkly and ugly. And then you might get a disease like hepatitis or something.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
ProtoKun7 said:
My thoughts exactly.
Besides, you only risk your health if you do it. Sure it may look nice for a while but when you're even older it'll get all wrinkly and ugly. And then you might get a disease like hepatitis or something.
If you put it somewhere prone to distortion from wieght gain, then yes, it will shrivel up.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you're going to get one get a small one in an area easy to cover up.
And if you're happy with it get another one if you want and if your not you can cover it up easily
wink.gif

Personally, I'd only get a tattoo of something that meant a lot to me

Also: click me anyone know what it is? That's the type of tattoo NOT to get.

D

Deleted-247497

The Pi said:
Well if you're going to get one get a small one in an area easy to cover up.
And if you're happy with it get another one if you want and if your not you can cover it up easily
wink.gif

Personally, I'd only get a tattoo of something that meant a lot to me

Also: click me anyone know what it is? That's the type of tattoo NOT to get.
lol isn't that from bloons tower defense..

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will now pass on the same advice my brother gave me many years back, when i was thinking of getting a tattoo:

Firstly, be 100% happy with the design, remember a tattoo is something that will last a life time, don't go rushing in to anything until your 100% sure. You may get a lot of friends telling you it will look great, but take some time out and really think about it.

Secondly, choose your tattoo artist very carefully and don't just go for one that's " cheap" there are a lot of so called "tattoo artists " that have the drawing talent of a 5 year old. Any tattoo artist worth his salt will have a vast catalog pictures that he/she can show you of their work. I have been very lucky to know personally the my tattoo artist, and even tho it means a 300 mile round trip if I want a tattoo he's the only guy I trust to do them. (for the record i go to the midland tattoo center )

basically make sure that you are 100% satisfied with the design, choose a good artist and if you are unsure as to placement have a word with the artist your and depending on the design ( size and shape) he will be more than happy to help you out with the best place for your tattoo.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're still not sure after 10 years, but you know you've wanted something, I just have a couple suggestions.

If you don't want to spend a butt load, and have a design that will look good even if it's fairly small, you have a lot more options of where you could put it and expect it to look good for a really long time.

If you can spend a moderate amount, and don't expect to get more than one tattoo, I think you should seek a good tattoo artist and chat about size, colors, and placement. Don't even necessarily get sold after talking to them, just look at their portfolios* or albums*, show them the picture of what you're thinking about.

*Some artists keep their templates in portfolios or files, while others prefer to photograph their work in stages or after it's done. Some do both or a combination.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Hells Malice said:
ProtoKun7 said:

This.

If you have a daughter, buy a $1000 stuffed animal for her.
That would be the best present...ever.

Wouldn't $1000 worth of stuffed animals be better?

re: tattoo

get a tattoo of raulpica

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
If you get a tattoo, make it something you want to have on you forever.

I've seen my share of people who regret a tattoo that they only got the week before.
Oh heavens! You're breaking new ground with your revolutionary thinking!

In an idea that is also very painfully unoriginal: your daughter's name is not a bad choice for a tattoo

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gore said:
In an idea that is also very painfully unoriginal: your daughter's name is not a bad choice for a tattoo
I dunno...kinda looks chavy if not done right. She'll probably prefer the H.E.R.O. seeing she loves making him die on radioactive walls.

WezG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
http://tattoo.about.com/od/tatremoval/a/tatremoval.htm
Removal is possible now... but not fun. Or painless. Or cheap. Or quick.
Or very nice looking!
I got a few when I was younger that were a bit dodgy lol, but I was only 15 at the time! Now ive got them covered over with some tribal which is a lot better.

Is it your actual avatar you were getting?
Because one problem I've now had is fitting in other tattoos, as some I got were basically 'pictures' that wouldn't go well with others, that was another reason to get it covered lol! So its best to really think about where your gonna get it, after I got my first one which was quite small I got a few more than my full back done, now I'm getting an old one covered up then I want to get a Terminator style ripped-skin-with-wires-underneath tattoo but I need to find the right design!
Also getting a
smile.gif
on my tongue done next time I go
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*