Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi some of you know and some of you probably heard of TASing. I am a TASer(Tool-Assisted Superplayer) its the use of special emulators to make moves perfect. as of today i only tas N64's Super Mario 64(Which is why i posted it here). its the most TASed Game in the world. Check my youtube to see some TASes.
If you want to know more about TASing visit tasvideos.org
Now on the the videos!

Reson for edit: dead link removed

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
watching TAS runs can actually make you a better player. This is true for me of old school Mega Man games for instance. You start learning all these tricks that never occurred to you back in the day.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
In relation to TASing, the latest 20 frame improvement to the 0 star Mario64 TAS practically blew my mind.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
wat...watwatwatwat

I think I need to change my pants...How the fuck does th-...Just, wow.

I never understood exactly what TASing is, or what makes up the "tool-assisted" part of it (Does it involves cheats or something? Or is it just using an emulator for more flexibility?), but it's amazing.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I never understood exactly what TASing is, or what makes up the "tool-assisted" part of it (Does it involves cheats or something? Or is it just using an emulator for more flexibility?), but it's amazing.
Emulators are used for various reasons.

1 - To have frame-by-frame control. Even the fastest IRL player is going to have extreme issues pressing a certain button sequence if each button press and release needs to be a single frame apart for a string of 20 presses. For example building up enough speed with the backwards long jump on stairs in order to push yourself through walls (as seen in that video). In other games the random number generator may depend on when certain buttons are pressed, and you can't maintain frame-precise control of that with human hands on a controller.

2 - For rewinding. The runs are not played in one go, in fact the "rerecord" count (the number of times time was rewinded to try a specific part again) for many runs can be really high. Hell, for that mario video, the count is 225,577. So as you might guess, a single TAS run can take a long, long time. It's not unheard of at all for a TAS run of a game to take a year or more.

3 - In order to see what the game's actually doing... for example in order to keep track of certain hidden values you may be manipulating that you might not have a counter for normally. You know, stuff like seeing how your actions are affecting the random number generator to try to get a monster to drop a certain item when you kill it, opposed to just running in and killing the damned thing 500 times like a normal player would have to.

An important thing is that cheats are not used, and only specifically-approved emulators (even specific version numbers of those) can be used, so the end result of the TAS is ACTUALLY POSSIBLE in the game (the first goal of a TAS is to beat a game as fast as is possible, period*)... assuming you could get somebody to input that specific button sequence on the controller with enough accuracy. :P And actually, for NES games there's some guy that hooked up a machine to his NES's control port or something so he can watch the machine put in the sequences to TAS an NES game, both for fun, and to prove the stuff's true.

*- This doesn't always make for an entertaining run, so many games that can use glitches to skip the whole game (like Super Mario 64) often have additional "categories" for TASes that complete certain goals or try to play through the whole game, so there's also TAS runs of that game for entertainment purposes.

Reactions: 1 person

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And actually, for NES games there's some guy that hooked up a machine to his NES's control port or something so he can watch the machine put in the sequences to TAS an NES game, both for fun, and to prove the stuff's true.
I believe you're talking about http://www.instructables.com/id/NESBot-Arduino-Powered-Robot-beating-Super-Mario-/ which is pretty impressive really.

I went on a TAS-watching spree a few weeks ago. Absolute insanity for some of those games.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've always enjoyed watching TAS videos.
Where ever I am I'm always watching one.

To bad that there are few to no videos available from the work behind it );

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
id love it if you could change my thing from gbatemp regular to taser(lol). heres a pretty mind blowing freerun(not made by me)

reasons for edits: spelling mistakes, trouble with the new media tag

wat...watwatwatwat

I think I need to change my pants...How the fuck does th-...Just, wow.

If you crapped your pants for that then you must need 5 pairs of pants for the freerun compilation video i just posted(again its not mine)

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When your postcount reaches 500 you can set your own user title.
thnx i'll keep that in mind
I couldn't TAS for the life of me, but watching videos of them always impresses me for some reason.
same here before i tased. now ists all about dust frames proper timing and rerecords

Yeah, but I lack one thing vital to all of that.

Enough Patience. My patience is about the same amount as an eggcup could hold. I'd throw my computer across the room before I got even a bad TAS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission