Take-Two Interactive Has Reversed Their Agreement Regarding Fan-Made Mods

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
According to a blogpost on GTAForums, Take-Two has recently reversed their previous agreement regarding fan-made mods and has since started taking them down. Several websites like GTAModding, ModDB, and many others had mods related to several Rockstar IPs get taking down following a DMCA claim.

Mods like GTA Underground, Vice Cry, and other mods have been taken down following the reversal with their creators telling people to await any further updates. Further more, Silent, a well known GTA modder, has had their say regarding this issue:

Ironically, here's a tweet which clearly shows Rockstar Games praising a custom map mod that someone made back in 2012:

Additionally, there is a statement from one of the ModDB owners/moderators:

What do you people think about this situation? Do you think it's fair for T2 to reverse their agreement regarding fan-made content? Share your thoughts in the comment below.

Last edited by Deleted member 534570,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am curious as to what brought this on. I am also curious as to what basis in law they are using for this, hopefully we can get a copy of the notice.

If I had to bet then I would go with some lawyer somewhere underneath it all took a reading of some fan fiction/fan films/... vs the world stuff* and decided they did not want to be part of that before getting proactive.

*many times it has been noted various fan films, fan works and whatever else cross over into what the company is doing for their game (it is a somewhat grounded crime simulator that does not stray too far into wacky territory, that means 150 years of crime novels, films, TV shows, radio plays, comics and more that could be similar) and can cause a legal headache or two. See also various fan works agreements.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180305124251/http://www.startrek.com/fan-films
https://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html?page=3
https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/68332629.html

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone injected them with the Nintendo vaccine perhaps.
That explains as to why they are going on an anti modding spree mowing down anyone who dares to touch their games.

Hilarious.
Hell, I'm not sure if Nintendo has ever even shut down modpacks. Sure, fan games, and even the occasional rom hack here and there have all been axed by Nintendo, but honestly, I'm not sure Nintendo is even aware that modpacks are a thing lol.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hell, I'm not sure if Nintendo has ever even shut down modpacks. Sure, fan games, and even the occasional rom hack here and there have all been axed by Nintendo, but honestly, I'm not sure Nintendo is even aware that modpacks are a thing lol.
It's gonna happen, big fat DMCA to gamebanana eventually.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's gonna happen, big fat DMCA to gamebanana eventually.
I doubt it. To use modpacks with current Nintendo games in general, you have to mod your Nintendo system, and that's more where Nintendo's efforts lie: stopping hardware modding of their systems from being possible to begin with. It's not like Rockstar who put every game on PC as well, where any Joe Shmo can install a modpack in a moment without having to do anything special to their system to make it happen to begin with.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Company taking down mods.
No surprise there.
Except it is, especially this company and this game series that has benefited massively from mods for... decades now, and the company's ancestors going back further still (see lemmings).

PC mods being taken down is also quite rare in and of itself, and we are not quite sure why these were taken down; none of the usual hallmarks are there for things that aggravate companies.

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except it is, especially this company and this game series that has benefited massively from mods for... decades now, and the company's ancestors going back further still (see lemmings).

PC mods being taken down is also quite rare in and of itself, and we are not quite sure why these were taken down; none of the usual hallmarks are there for things that aggravate companies.
no it's not really. I guess a little

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: