The Pokemon Company makes official statement regarding Palworld

aaa.png

From the moment that Palworld was publically unveiled, the comparisons of the game to Pokemon have been rampant. Despite that, Palworld's development team, Pocketpair, has stated that they're not concerned with any negative legal action, as the game is not infringing upon Pokemon, nor other IP copyrights. Meanwhile, the former legal team lead of The Pokemon Company expressed surprise at Palworld, saying he was surprised, "it got that far" when the game was released.

Further adding fuel to the fire was a Twitter user by the name of Byofrog, who began directly comparing Palworld models to Pokemon models, showing similarities between the two. While all of these comments and reactions have been from the public, Nintendo themselves haven't made any statement, until tonight. The Pokemon Company put out a short press release, specifically about Palworld. The full comment is as follows:

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

For now, there doesn't appear to be any immediate action that The Pokemon Company will take, but only time will tell if any sort of investigation leads to legal action.

:arrow: Source

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think so, though mine is only swift + nimble, with ferocious + hard skin for the other two passives. Still ridiculously fast compared to the base movement speed.
Finally got them, it took days of breeding to get though. Fast as hell and you can scale cliff faces like crazy. Everyone talks about how Direhowl is one of the best to have but it runs out of stamina so quickly and doesn't have the vertical that even Eikthyrdeer has.

Ferocious is a pretty good passive to have on there. Not a bad idea to just farm catches on the boss since it's safer than the SW area of the map until you get one you can breed for all three speed passives.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is if you pick any random person from the street and they see pokemon in the game what do you think a jury ( who is pick from such population ) is going to see

That big yellow guy is more Pikachu than the detective variant. ( good job that capture the spirit of Pikachu if you ask me )

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The question is if you pick any random person from the street and they see pokemon in the game what do you think a jury ( who is pick from such population ) is going to see

That big yellow guy is more Pikachu than the detective variant. ( good job that capture the spirit of Pikachu if you ask me )
are you saying these look alike?

palworld-pokemon-aaec01f.jpg

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you saying these look alike?

[snip]
Even I wouldn't go that far. It looks like it borrows from a few things but none so distinct as to be a mistake.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

AND since I'm here, here's something I found by someone who does actual 3D modeling to add into the discussion.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even I wouldn't go that far. It looks like it borrows from a few things but none so distinct as to be a mistake.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

AND since I'm here, here's something I found by someone who does actual 3D modeling to add into the discussion.

Comparing polygons to Pokemon models is not one way to tell that it was copied. I'm not a lawyer or anything but stealing the models would mean extracting the models from the game, and then changing the textures around.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope pokemon wins a lawsuit and not stupid palworld

Why? Nintendo makes good games but they're not a good company, they treat their fanbases like crap.
Lots of people are having fun with palworld, too. It's just... they could consider changing some of their designs xD.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Go back to Twitter.

Why? Nintendo makes good games but they're not a good company, they treat their fanbases like crap.
Lots of people are having fun with palworld, too. It's just... they could consider changing some of their designs xD.
I agree. Nintendo is full of shit, as someone who owns every modded Nintendo console.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm waiting for someone to make a FireRed or Emerald ROMhack using those Palworld things.
DAMN I'd love to see it
Post automatically merged:

Yeah yeah bro, go back to your Twitter
Post automatically merged:

Fuck whoever made that a name. Call it Twitter for gods sake, it was always Twitter to begin with.
I will never call it X for real real
I grew up with that blue bird and not with a random leter

Reactions: SylverReZ

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only reason I want something to happen to palworld is entirely for the blatant use of ai garbage.

The reason I want palworld to persist is entirely to make Satoshi tajiri cry, because eff him and his entitled attitude.

It would be extremely stupid to have used AI, because it's a requirement by steam to disclose it. And there wasn't any, so either they didn't use any or you believe they lied about that and risk a lot. (Not to say they're necessarily smart about everything)

I've heard they basically outsourced the making of Pals to various different people.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be extremely stupid to have used AI, because it's a requirement by steam to disclose it. And there wasn't any, so either they didn't use any or you believe they lied about that and risk a lot. (Not to say they're necessarily smart about everything)

I've heard they basically outsourced the making of Pals to various different people.
Since when have the crypto/nft/a.i. bros ever been ethical about anything? Go ahead, Ill wait.

With how heavy handed (putting it kindly) Nintendo legal is, that Palworld was able to sneak past enough to be up on Steam feels like such a grand flex. But I also am not going to hold a blind eye to the amount of work Geneva will have to do, to document all the war crimes that development will become known to be.

• Haha
Reactions: The Catboy

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since when have the crypto/nft/a.i. bros ever been ethical about anything? Go ahead, Ill wait.

With how heavy handed (putting it kindly) Nintendo legal is, that Palworld was able to sneak past enough to be up on Steam feels like such a grand flex. But I also am not going to hold a blind eye to the amount of work Geneva will have to do, to document all the war crimes that development will become known to be.

Fair but until there's significant evidence of AI being used (which there should be if it was used, and it hasn't been found yet), I think it's jumping the gun to assume they're just unethical crypto bros that risked it like that.

Reactions: The Catboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto