Hacking System resources increase coming for UWP programs this fall.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well emulating newer systems require more resources then the original console

but if microsoft can emulate the 360 and the original xbox through emulation why is it impossible for gamecube/wii idk

Original Xbox is X86 Arch so it does not need to emulate all the CPU instructions. the Xbox 360 was multicore PPC so the emulator could distribute the load across all 8 cores considering Microsoft knows the most about how the 360 works.

In fact, the Xbox emulator may end up being the 360 Xbox Emulator running on Xbox One via the 360 Emulator

you can run an emulator in an emulator and not multiply the system resources it needs if the emulator that is running the emulator is close to 100% emulation speed then it should run roughly like how it would on the actual hardware with a few performance hits here and there that can be addressed via updates.

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you sure about that? games like Mario party 5 sometimes face graphical glitches. if it is hardware based ( like putting gamecube components inside wiiu , as oppose to emulation), then there shouldn't be glitches as far as I am aware.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you sure about that? games like Mario party 5 sometimes face graphical glitches. if it is hardware based ( like putting gamecube components inside wiiu , as oppose to emulation), then there shouldn't be glitches as far as I am aware.

It's been my understanding that was the case yes

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Since the Wii U has a different GPU than the Wii/Gamecube, Wii and GC games may run into some glitches since it does not behave 100% like the GC/Wii GPU. Also, Nintendon't/Devolution further adds problems since it is running GC games in Wii mode rather than GC mode so there are differences there that can cause glitches.

Reactions: kingtut

Flux0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As nice as Dolphin would be, I have to agree with the idea that the CPU is just too slow to be of real use for it. You might be able to get something like NSMB or some simple Gamecube games running OK, but most stuff is going to be very slow.

The extra cores don't really help since you can only split the workload over so many threads at once. If you keep adding more it doesn't help past a certain point because you still have to wait for other tasks to finish before you can go on.

Performance would be very close to the Athlon 5350 since that is the same CPU core the XB1/PS4 are based off of. In benchmarks it only comes up a bit under half the speed of a real Wii: https://www.anandtech.com/show/7933/the-desktop-kabini-review-part-1-athlon-5350-am1/4

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As nice as Dolphin would be, I have to agree with the idea that the CPU is just too slow to be of real use for it. You might be able to get something like NSMB or some simple Gamecube games running OK, but most stuff is going to be very slow.

The extra cores don't really help since you can only split the workload over so many threads at once. If you keep adding more it doesn't help past a certain point because you still have to wait for other tasks to finish before you can go on.

Performance would be very close to the Athlon 5350 since that is the same CPU core the XB1/PS4 are based off of. In benchmarks it only comes up a bit under half the speed of a real Wii: https://www.anandtech.com/show/7933/the-desktop-kabini-review-part-1-athlon-5350-am1/4

Hmm... I wonder if PCSX2 would perform decent? Probably Not lol I think the best we're gonna get is Dreamcast at this rate

Last edited by wiired24,

Flux0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I wonder if PCSX2 would perform decent? Probably Not lol I think the best we're gonna get is Dreamcast at this rate
PCSX2 performs worse than Dolphin in all honesty. I have an Athlon 5350 in a spare system and while I didn't try many games, the only one I remember running full speed was Neo Geo Battle Colosseum since its a relatively simple 2d fighter as far as CPU usage is concerned. Which wouldn't be much on the XB1 since the 360 version is backwards compatible.

DS Emulation did work OK on it from what I tried. So that along with the Dreamcast is about where things will top off I think.

what about xbox one x?
The Xbox One X CPU is the same just at 2.3ghz. While thats faster, it isn't a big enough jump to make a huge difference. Microsoft hasn't mentioned anything about the Xbox One X having any increased speed in dev mode over the base console either. Theres a chance they will have both be set exactly the same in it in order to make sure programs work fine on both.

Edit: Came back to fix the Xbox One X CPU speed. Its actually 2.3ghz instead of 2.6.

Last edited by Flux0,

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's faster, the Nvidia K1 or the XB1 cpu? Because the K1 can emulate gamecube just fine. So can the Snapdragon 835 for that matter.

I really think the Xbox One especially the XB1X will be able to handle some dolphin games just fine. Sure some of the more demanding titles may run into lag but there's a fair majority of titles that could be run decently

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol