Hacking System resources increase coming for UWP programs this fall.

Flux0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...-windows-platform-games-fall-xbox-one-update/

Since the advent of consoles, developers have asked for ways to create games for one platform that you could run anywhere. With the release of the Expanded Resources feature in the Windows Fall Creators Update, we are taking the industry closer to that goal than it has ever been before. Now, developers will automatically have access to 6 exclusive cores, 5 GB of ram and full access to the GPU!

Maybe this will increase the amount of resources for dev mode as well. If so this will be a big help to let people get more stuff running.

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is amazing when does this come out?

this would mean higher demanding emulators and games could show up some day which is amazing news

Reactions: wiired24

Flux0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit! This is awesome

Indeed it is. I checked with the limits listed in the development mode documentation and they match up with the blue bars, so normal dev mode that we all have now will have these new specs enabled when this update hits.

I was a bit concerned with the rush of people getting free dev accounts that Microsoft might pull back some of the openness of it. Instead they enable programs to have the same resources retail games do!

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed it is. I checked with the limits listed in the development mode documentation and they match up with the blue bars, so normal dev mode that we all have now will have these new specs enabled when this update hits.

I was a bit concerned with the rush of people getting free dev accounts that Microsoft might pull back some of the openness of it. Instead they enable programs to have the same resources retail games do!

Well we did kind of make Dev Mode relevant for Microsoft. ;)

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am terrible with hardware info, but is 5 gb ram enough? I thought that is what we currently have. I know that having full gpu access is awesome. and I am not sure what does accessing all cores mean

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh wait I looked at the chart, it says we only had 1 ram before. that is awesome news. makes me more excited for the hackathon

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"create games for one platform that you could run anywhere"

Wasn't the point of UWP for X1 to be usable for everything EXCEPT games? lol

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"create games for one platform that you could run anywhere"

Wasn't the point of UWP for X1 to be usable for everything EXCEPT games? lol
you can use it for games. it is just that homebrew games and emulators are not supported officially. and you must use dev mode for that

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was about to post this! Saw the blog post on Facebook of all places and thought about sharing it here. :) However, you have to use DX12 to take advantage of it.

So seeing as Dolphin has a D3D12 backend already and it's open source, that means we could get a Dolphin port very quickly!! Hell, even D3D11 would be sufficient. It's more CPU intensive than anything. We already have seen Dolphin running on PS4 thanks to Vulkan.

Last edited by Selim873,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was about to post this! Saw the blog post on Facebook of all places and thought about sharing it here. :) However, you have to use DX12 to take advantage of it.

So seeing as Dolphin has a D3D12 backend already and it's open source, that means we could get a Dolphin port very quickly!! Hell, even D3D11 would be sufficient. It's more CPU intensive than anything. We already have seen Dolphin running on PS4 thanks to Vulkan.
we need to make it uwp first though. which I do not know if there are plans for that or if you know another way of porting it

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we need to make it uwp first though. which I do not know if there are plans for that or if you know another way of porting it

That'd be a daunting task. UWP places alot of restrictions on Native Code. You sometimes have to re-write alot of the code to fit within the parameters of UWP. RetriX is our best bet of getting Dolphin on Xbox One being that Dolphin is now part of libretro

Reactions: kingtut

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That'd be a daunting task. UWP places alot of restrictions on Native Code. You sometimes have to re-write alot of the code to fit within the parameters of UWP. RetriX is our best bet of getting Dolphin on Xbox One being that Dolphin is now part of libretro
I wish we would get an update on retrix, I am worried that the libretro community doesn't seem to be taking retrix seriously, and only asbestos currently is.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish we would get an update on retrix, I am worried that the libretro community doesn't seem to be taking retrix seriously, and only asbestos currently is.

Well it's an "Attitude thing" to be quite honest. Not all, but alot of Emulator devs who work on Emulators for Consoles or projects like "Retroarch" work mainly on Linux Systems and want as little as possible to do with Windows let alone Windows Store Apps or UWP. This isn't a bias or a made up assumption it's sadly just the case for alot of devs that I have seen

Last edited by wiired24,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's an "Attitude thing" to be quite honest. Not all, but alot of Emulator devs who work on Emulators for Consoles or projects like "Retroarch" work mainly on Linux Systems and want as little as possible to do with Windows let alone UWP. This isn't a bias or a made up assumption it's sadly just the case for alot of devs that I have seen

Yeah, I do not know what can asbestos do at this point.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I do not know what can asbestos do at this point.
I think we here at GBATemp should set up some type of bounty. We can all chip in maybe $5 or $10 or $20 and whoever takes on the job or porting Dolphin to UWP will collect the cash prize. Dynarec is currently being added to BeetlePSX (Which btw will greatly improve the PS1 Emulator performance on RetriX) Because someone saw a huge bounty for the project. if we can As a Community raise enough money someone with the right skills may take up the task of porting Dolphin to UWP

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we here at GBATemp should set up some type of bounty. We can all chip in maybe $5 or $10 or $20 and whoever takes on the job or porting Dolphin to UWP will collect the cash prize. Dynarec is currently being added to BeetlePSX (Which btw will greatly improve the PS1 Emulator performance on RetriX) Because someone saw a huge bounty for the project. if we can As a Community raise enough money someone with the right skills may take up the task of porting Dolphin to UWP
we should do that for the more simpler emulators first, like dosbox, prboom, n64, yabause, and dreamcast emulator

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now maybe we could get the devs of dolphin to port to xbox one since it should be more then qualified

It would not run that great. The Xbox One (and even Scorpio) are processor limited for emulation like Gamecube/Wii
Dolphin cannot utilize all the cores, and the processor speed is not fast enough {1.75 GHz and is an older AMD so it will be slower than a 1.75GHz Intel processor for emulation}

Reactions: DrkBeam

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we should do that for the more simpler emulators first, like dosbox, prboom, n64, yabause, and dreamcast emulator

There's really nothing "simple" about porting any emulator to UWP. It's hard work. That's why I have set up a bounty for the unfortunate soul that chooses to port Dolphin to Xbox One via UWP. When you throw up enough money you'd be surprised how fast people wanna get something done. https://gbatemp.net/threads/bounty-for-porting-dolphin-to-uwp.485397/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-